AVF Regular

New York Times Report on Vaping

I'm stunned - someone actually did their homework on this, a good balanced article from mainstream media:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sc...y-critics.html

Excellent article. Looks like another one to add to my "52 days" efforts!

Raa
    How the hell did that get past the editor? These sorts of articles don't normally get through.

AVF Regular
    the pilot study they did in catania was really interesting as they refused smokers in the study who wanted to give up smoking and only did the study on smokers who did not want to give up.
    really good back up for us who are arguing for electronic cigarettes as they state in the pilot study "Here we show for the first time that e-Cigarettes can substantially decrease cigarette consumption without causing significant side effects in smokers not intending to quit "
    REALLY INTERESTING READING

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/786#B34

Another quote from study-"In this pilot study, we have shown for the first time that substantial and objective modifications in the smoking habits may occur in smokers using e-Cigarettes, with significant smoking reduction and smoking abstinence and no apparent increase in withdrawal symptoms."

( note-The above biomed weblink takes a while to download)
    Last edited by margyb; 09-11-11 at 01:06 AM.

AVF Regular
    I had trouble logging onto the new york times link above a few times --so I googled new york times and logged into their site and searched electronic cigarettes and found the news article

AVF Regular
    Jon thanks for the link - a fantastic article!
    I would really like to know who are the faceless people formulating policys that ban ecigs on such spurious grounds - who are they and what is their proof? The public deserves better explanations than off hand dismissal, hollow arguments, knee jerk assumptions, and all the other rubbish we are fobbed off with now!
    Like Maggie Thatcher I ask "Who are these people and what are their names" Who is it advising MPs that these lifesaving devices should be banned? Are they frightened for their Jobs? What sort of mindset are we deaing with that gets ecigs banned in so many Countries for no reason that makes any sense.?

This Paragraph say a lot about the spurious reasons for banning,
    Quote.

“There is no evidence that e-cigarettes have ever harmed anyone, or that youths or nonsmokers have begun using the products,” Mr. Godshall said. On a scale of harm from 1 to 100, where nicotine gums and lozenges are 1 and cigarettes are 100, he estimated that e-cigarettes are no higher than 2. "

yes and people are dying from legally obtainable Cigarettes but harmless devices get banned, for reasons that simply dont hold up! Go figure....

AVF Regular
    Already shot this article to a few friends who are anti vaping as it is a nice balanced article for a change