AVF Regular

The ex Marlboro man discusses his anti smoking Journey,

I found this interview extremely interesting. This Man discusses his Journey and struggles with tobacco, his time as an anti smoking advocate to his frustrations with the Vaping community, who he finds generally obnoxious- greed and self interest are blinding them to the challenges and fight for survival that lie ahead. The Industry needs a Leader he says, and it doesnt have one.

http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/as...te.html?mid=51

Sorry Winston Man not Marlboro Man-doh.
    (shamlessly borrowed from ECF)
    Last edited by gert; 09-11-11 at 12:31 PM.

Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    Sorry Winston Man not Marlboro Man-doh.
    The Winston Man? Never heard of him.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    The Winston Man? Never heard of him.
    The marlboro Man use to feature on Cigarette ads- perhaps it was before your time

Mad
    The marlboro Man use to feature on Cigarette ads- perhaps it was before your time
    No the Marlboro Man was not before my time, and nor it seems was 'Winston man'. While normally I agree with your thoughts Girt, on this one you are yet to convince me. However, it think it is fair to say, 'Winston Man - tobacco turncoat' does not conjure up quite the same image as the staunchly unrepentant, rugged, individualistic 'Marlboro Man'. Perhaps this is why he had to content himself with 2nd place (and the relative obscurity of shamelessly promoting smokes to children).

While no doubt his point regarding the self interest of those involved in the e-cig market is to some extent valid, surely this applies to any sector of commercial activity (there are good ones, there are bad ones - and all like 'Winston Man' himself, can be expected to act with what they perceive to be in their self interest). As for his call for a 'leader' - this from a man who first promoted smoking, then anti-smoking, then vaping, and now it seems anti-vaping?

Sites like this one seem to me to be doing a good job of promoting vaping, so who needs 'Winston Man' - not me.

Also, shame you did not put this one in the Zealots thread - a reformed zealot case study - we could have had fun there

from memory the Marlboro man died of all sorts of cancers long long ago
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Mad
    The original (and official Phillip Morris) Marlboro Man, Darrell Winfield, is over 90 and still alive. Three other unofficial Marlboro men who followed Darrell Winfield all died of lung cancer. Phillip Morris deny that these later Marlboro Men are 'official Marlboro Men'

AVF Regular
    Gee thats a sad fate for the Marlboro men, didnt know that.
    Anyhow he was not anti vaping so much as disillusioned with the big ecig vendors in the US - he felt they should be forming a group to counteract the lies and nonsense put out by the anti Smoking Lobby.
    Perhaps thats a fair viewpoint.. but if the Health Authorities dont know enough about Ecigs after all the studies done by now somethings odd, I think they do know but choose to ignore the option it gives to Smokers...

Supreme Overlord of these Realms
    greed and self interest
    I would not entirely disagree with this.
    Last edited by JatoOspry; 10-11-11 at 09:56 AM.

Mad
    Gee thats a sad fate for the Marlboro men, didnt know that.
    Anyhow he was not anti vaping so much as disillusioned with the big ecig vendors in the US - he felt they should be forming a group to counteract the lies and nonsense put out by the anti Smoking Lobby.
    Perhaps thats a fair viewpoint.. but if the Health Authorities dont know enough about Ecigs after all the studies done by now somethings odd, I think they do know but choose to ignore the option it gives to Smokers...
    I have no objection to the existence of a lobby group, that aims to balance the debate - just not sure it needs a leader. ECF positions itself a little that way doesn't it? Also, there seems to be some corporate interest (Health Cabin code ECF008 = donation to ECF?), it would be interesting to know if any of the local vendors are prepared to support 'Smokescreen', etc. I note that Aussievapers does not accept such support.

As for the Government, I suspect that they do not yet know enough to be prepared to endorse the product, and are wary of the zealots, but would be happy to gain a new revenue stream to replace tobacco sources - this would explain their current inertia. Perhaps government will move when the large tobacco products start to change their 'nicotine delivery system' from tobacco to liquid, and/or the market grows to a sufficient size to create more interest.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    I have no objection to the existence of a lobby group, that aims to balance the debate - just not sure it needs a leader. ECF positions itself a little that way doesn't it? Also, there seems to be some corporate interest (Health Cabin code ECF008 = donation to ECF?), it would be interesting to know if any of the local vendors are prepared to support 'Smokescreen', etc. I note that Aussievapers does not accept such support.

As for the Government, I suspect that they do not yet know enough to be prepared to endorse the product, and are wary of the zealots, but would be happy to gain a new revenue stream to replace tobacco sources - this would explain their current inertia. Perhaps government will move when the large tobacco products start to change their 'nicotine delivery system' from tobacco to liquid, and/or the market grows to a sufficient size to create more interest.
    Mad I suspect the people in the Health department know everything about eCigs and if not they should by now
    -
    What they see is a threat to their carefully constructed scare campaign against Nicotine,

Their increasingly thin and ridiculous arguments against e cigs are beginning to look very lame. and they have Big Pharma breathing down their necks. Imagine the market for the usless patches and gums in Third World Countries and along come eCigs that work better cheaper and generally harmless in comparision..

Just what I think anyhow, All the public hand wringing and crocodile tears about getting people off Cigarettes doesnt convince me at all,
    Smokers and public health are just the meat in the sandwich in this debate.
    While ever we can import our Nic and buy the hardware though I think we're pretty lucky, vapers in many other Countries are struggling to get their supplies through.
    Last edited by gert; 11-11-11 at 09:59 AM.