Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By porkchop

Thread: New Lung Foundation brochure

AVF Regular

New Lung Foundation brochure

Latest Lung Foundation brochure.

http://lungfoundation.com.au/wp-cont...-June-2014.pdf

Whilst they recognise the use of PV's and the reduction of particulates & chemicals, they just don't seem to grasp the notion that any reduction in the use of conventional cigarettes has a huge impact on the health of a Nation.

AVF Regular
    I used to get mad reading this sorta stuff.....now I just feel sad
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    Sorry for this long post people - just had to vent about what my research found about this article. Sorry if the links don't work - am new to this. If they don't you can cut and paste them I guess.

So, more lies and misinformation from the Lung Foundation, who would have thought?

Go to page three of their report – they cite an article to scare us into thinking we need a prescription to import nic:
    Importation of nicotine for personal use does not fall under the ban. However, as a prescription-only medicine, those importing nicotine solutions must hold a prescription from a registered health practitioner, and there are restrictions on the quantity that can be imported.25
    Follow the citation to here:
    e-Cigarettes: a safe way to quit? | NPS MedicineWise

This is an article that states the same thing, and cites another author:
    Importation of nicotine for personal use does not fall under the ban. However, as a prescription-only medicine, those importing nicotine solutions must hold a prescription from a registered health practitioner, and there are restrictions on the quantity that can be imported.2
    Follow that and you get an abstract from some international authors which is just an abstract:
    E-cigarettes and cancer patients. [J Thorac Oncol. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
    The increasing popularity and availability of electronic cigarettes (i.e., e-cigarettes) in many countries have promoted debate among health professionals as to what to recommend to their patients who might be struggling to stop smoking or asking about e-cigarettes. In the absence of evidence-based guidelines for using e-cigarettes for smoking cessation, some health professionals have urged caution about recommending them due to the limited evidence of their safety and efficacy, while others have argued that e-cigarettes are obviously a better alternative to continued cigarette smoking and should be encouraged. The leadership of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer asked the Tobacco Control and Smoking Cessation Committee to formulate a statement on the use of e-cigarettes by cancer patients to help guide clinical practice. Below is this statement, which we will update periodically as new evidence becomes available.
    ***This abstract says absolutely nothing about importing nic into Australia.***
    And finally – find the real article that the abstract relates to and bingo, no reference to having to have a script for importing nicotine into Australia.

E-Cigarettes and Cancer Patients : Journal of Thoracic Oncology

Who on earth does their research at the Lung Foundation? Shame, shame, shame, doctors will be giving misinformation to patients who genuinely want to quit. I am disgusted.

AVF Regular
    I guess it's just the definition though. What we are importing isn't really nicotine. What we are importing are PG or VG that contains certain concentration of nicotine.
    Cath Mort likes this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    I am sure you are right porkchop - just seems to me that they should do proper research if they want to be taken seriously. They twist the facts to suit their agenda it seems.

AVF Regular
    Absolutely. The official information suppose to explain that to general public.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18