Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Medical Journal Australia - Battlelines on role of e-cigs

Medical Journal Australia - Battlelines on role of e-cigs

https://www.mja.com.au/insight/2014/...es-role-e-cigs

A really good read.

Professor Wayne Hall, chair of the Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research at the University of Queensland, said those supporting a ban on e-cigarettes had “lost sight of the possible gains to smokers because their thoughts are dominated by the fear of what big tobacco is up to”.

He called for the battery-powered devices and the “e-juices” they vaporise to be “made legally available in Australia”, to ensure their safety and quality.

Just realised there is a voting poll. Don't forget to vote!

AVF Regular
    your poll is rigged .. how much regulation did you say you wanted? and who will control those regulations? better to comment then vote imo

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Just realised there is a voting poll. Don't forget to vote!
    Cath Mort likes this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

3 ways to ban an e-cig. Great poll.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Poll
    Should e-cigarettes be made legally available in Australia?
    Choices
    Yes - so they are regulated
    Maybe - more evidence needed
    No
    ----------------------------------------------
    01101001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110110 01100001 01110000 01101001 01101110 01100111

legally available but regulated = ban ?

Of course we want to make sure de-facto bans aren't introduced (e.g high taxes, prescriptions, and any other barrier that discourages people from switching), but all of that discussion in due time.

There are better ideas other than S.C's licenses that people may actually like & find convenient.
    Last edited by marty; 26-06-14 at 12:19 AM.

AVF Regular
    legally available but regulated = ban ?
    I put a comment there on poll choices. I would like a response, but I don't expect to get it Anyway I think it's better to vote to show opposition to banning and waiting.
    marty and TobaccoIsDead like this.

I don't understand the viewpoint that we should not have any regulation. If given the choice between what we have today, and having them legally available within Australia but with regulations put in place, I'd always choose the locally available regulated option, provided that our current import options still remain.

Unlock the current ban in which ever way possible first (but that doesn't affect current imports), then fight to relax any over-restrictive policies on local availability.
    Last edited by marty; 26-06-14 at 12:28 AM.
    SmokeHead likes this.

AVF Regular
    With people like Mike Daube saying that the recent WA ruling "was an important step in the continuing battle against smoking", the recent ignorant interview from QLD, the general gullibility of the population and susceptibility to effects of social engineering and the lack of numbers you really do wonder if it'll ever be allowed to be sold outside of a chemist.
    Stomp and Cath Mort like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    the recent ignorant interview from QLD
    From the radio interview;

"You don't actually know what you're ingesting - the nicotine is a poison and it's illegal but the other substances that are often mixed with it, you don't know what they are."
    The exact same thing can be said about tobacco smoke. Hence, this argument is equivocation, part of the usual logical fallacies given by many anti-harm reductionists. Not even S.C agrees that vaping in and of itself should be looked upon as equivalent. His focus is mainly on whether vaping keeps most people on the smokes. He doesn't agree that exclusive vaping is anywhere near as harmful as smoking.
    Last edited by marty; 26-06-14 at 02:53 AM. Reason: tired

AVF Regular
    I don't understand the viewpoint that we should not have any regulation. If given the choice between what we have today, and having them legally available within Australia but with regulations put in place, I'd always choose the locally available regulated option, provided that our current import options still remain.

Unlock the current ban in which ever way possible first (but that doesn't affect current imports), then fight to relax any over-restrictive policies on local availability.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Just that "regulation" became a weasel word for something practically equal to a ban. If you look at EU Tobacco Directive with its limits of 20mg nic and max 10ml bottles, you will know what I mean. Anyway I voted for "yes - regulated" option, but I left a comment regarding limited voting options.
    Last edited by EwaZofia; 26-06-14 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast