Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AVF Regular

New smoking laws in Tassie

I cant believe it. The new smoking laws include no smoking between the flags at our beaches!! Good thing it is too cold to go to the beach here

http://www.media.tas.gov.au/release.php?id=33612

That's not so bad Margy, in NSW, well at Newcastle beach, there is no smoking anywhere on the beach. I'm not a "between the flags" type of person and stopped going to patrolled beaches a long time ago when they put over an announcement on the loudspeaker telling me to move between the flags, and I was just having a paddle at the time!

AVF Regular
    wonder how they would deal with a puff of an ecig?
    I can just see the conversation ..
    Beach inspector-cant you see the sign- no smoking
    Victim- but Im not smoking!
    Beach Inspector- Yes you are- thats a cigarette!
    Victim- No it isnt-its a Vaporiser...
    BI- a What!
    Victim-an eCigarette
    BI- Never heard of it, thats smoke you're blowing out, you're smoking, i have to fine you.
    Victim- its vapor-look I dont even have a lighter, (victim whimpers helplessly)
    BI- Im confiscating it- and fining you. youre in violation of the law,!! (BI sucks in his stomach,and frog marches Victim off the beach)

Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    wonder how they would deal with a puff of an ecig?
    I can just see the conversation ..
    Beach inspector-cant you see the sign- no smoking
    Victim- but Im not smoking!
    Beach Inspector- Yes you are- thats a cigarette!
    Victim- No it isnt-its a Vaporiser...
    BI- a What!
    Victim-an eCigarette
    BI- Never heard of it, thats smoke you're blowing out, you're smoking, i have to fine you.
    Victim- its vapor-look I dont even have a lighter, (victim whimpers helplessly)
    BI- Im confiscating it- and fining you. youre in violation of the law,!! (BI sucks in his stomach,and frog marches Victim off the beach)
    What law Girt? Sounds similar to theft (not quite - unless the BI intends to keep them), and false imprisonment to me. Though thats NSW, Tas may be different.

AVF Regular
    Its the Law now in Tas apparently.
    Disgusting, the Beach is one place where people should be able to smoke for Gods sake.
    Im sorry this has been inflicted on your beautiful Tassie Beaches MargyB.

Mad
    Yes, the law in Tas, and local councils in NSW have been dreaming up similar ideas in order to 'de-normalize' smoking. Vaping, isn't smoking - and I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge smoking (even in a flagged area) is not a felony. Therefore no right of citizens arrest and no power to confiscate vaping gear would apply unless vaping was also made illegal. Police are different, in that they can generally use 'reasonable suspicion' powers (ie they can be wrong, so long as they have 'reasonable grounds' to suspect). Compare the powers of the police with those of a security guard. I too may be wrong, but generally courts do not like zealous citizens who threaten the states monopoly on violence

Cheers,

Mad

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    Yes, the law in Tas, and local councils in NSW have been dreaming up similar ideas in order to 'de-normalize' smoking. Vaping, isn't smoking - and I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge smoking (even in a flagged area) is not a felony. Therefore no right of citizens arrest and no power to confiscate vaping gear would apply unless vaping was also made illegal. Police are different, in that they can generally use 'reasonable suspicion' powers (ie they can be wrong, so long as they have 'reasonable grounds' to suspect). Compare the powers of the police with those of a security guard. I too may be wrong, but generally courts do not like zealous citizens who threaten the states monopoly on violence

Cheers,

Mad
    Well I was just making a joke when i said they were arrested- No idea what would happen in real life-just fine the smoker- most likely anyone found vaping would be treated like a smoker,
    Ive had a gutful of the Green Police tossers and all their zealot wanker laws,

AVF Regular
    Theres this bit of Lunacy (Quote)
    "“We want to help parents protect their children from cigarette smoke. We want our kids to live in a place where the sight of an adult smoking near them is something abnormal, rather than just another common sight.”

( Well if smoking's the worst thing your kids ever see an adult doing they'll be lucky)

and of course the bit about sending the State to financial ruin (quote)

“But there is also an enormous economic cost to Tasmania as a whole. Smoking costs the Tasmanian economy $900 million a year.”

So where did she get that magic figure from one wonders-the creative accounting department?

They make me sick.
    I wish someone had deep enough pockets to challenge them in Court, really i do.

AVF Regular
    Hehe..... I think not!

Sloths aren't well equipped physically or by temperament to be frog marched anywhere.....
    CO, Vapers Against Government Interference in Nictotine Acquisition - Military Wing.

Mad
    I did not take the sequence of events too seriously Gert, but with the sentiment I agree, and

Ive had a gutful of the Green Police tossers and all their zealot wanker laws,
    too.

Cheers,

Mad
    Last edited by Mad; 12-11-11 at 05:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast