Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: E-cigs under fire - Health chief warns of toxin risk (mx newspaper article)

E-cigs under fire - Health chief warns of toxin risk (mx newspaper article)

My partner picked this paper up yesterday in the city and this was their front page article.

Same old lies and misinformation:
    "E-cigarette users are at risk of poisoning themselves with lethal doses of nicotine and toxic chemicals, Queensland Health has warned."
    "rising number of poisoning cases over the past year."
    "could cause death or illness if swallowed or absorbed through the skin."
    "a single milligram of nicotine is enough to cause mild poisoning ... many refills ... contain dangerously close to lethal levels."
    "ingredients including carcinogens or toxic chemicals."

and of course:
    "hadn't been adequately tested for safety or quality."

This rubbish makes me so angry!
    Whizgig and Browny like this.

I was talking to a new vapor the other day and the smoking sensation nurse over heard us and jumped down my throat about the cancer council stating that E-Cigs have KILLED people??????
    So I wanted to know where she got this info from and she said they are coming from internal memo's to them from the ACC, this needs to be stopped.
    I got her to get onto the net and do a search and guess what she couldn't find any reference to it at all????
    Browny likes this.

Nic Free Since 12th May 2014

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
    I was talking to a new vapor the other day and the smoking sensation nurse over heard us and jumped down my throat about the cancer council stating that E-Cigs have KILLED people??????
    So I wanted to know where she got this info from and she said they are coming from internal memo's to them from the ACC, this needs to be stopped.
    I got her to get onto the net and do a search and guess what she couldn't find any reference to it at all????
    Interesting but IME... If someone doesn't want to see the truth no amount of "evidence" will change that.

Well done for having a go.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

AVF Regular
    Look down the line to where funding is coming from and things get murky .. SC is a sociologist and no more and yet he is touted as a health proffessional .. look at WHO and you will find out that its Pharma behind them and not governments in the best interest of thier citizens... Its an interesting thing this vaping business.. things are not always what they seem .. and if the profit margins are big enough unless people stand up say no and point out otherwise.. truth wil be what they make it .. its that simple
    Pipesub, Whizgig and Browny like this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    GlaxoSmithKline Australia Pty Ltd.. producer of nicabate, they're responsible for products such as panadol, zovirax, macleans.. ect...
    They provide greatly to the economy, so in the scheme of things one must ask why would the government be against e-cigarettes? probably because they're the competition to a HUGE corporation thats helping drive the economy. If everyone started using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking and no one used nicabate GSK loses out big time, and so does the economy.. this could effect unemployment, GDP ect... i dunno really, this is just me being extremely frivolous, but seriously check out their website, they even have a section based on how they "economic contributions"
    About Us - GlaxoSmithKline Australia
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

Unfortunately, the push against e-cigs seems to be gaining momentum.

As to the WHO, here is a piece, copy and pasted from the WHO itself:

In 2009, governments throughout the world mounted large and costly responses to the H1N1 influenza outbreak. These efforts were largely justified on the premise that H1N1 influenza and seasonal influenza required different management, a premise reinforced by the decision on the part of the World Health Organization (WHO) to label the H1N1 influenza outbreak a “pandemic”. However, the outbreak had far less serious consequences than experts had predicted, a fact that led many to wonder if the public health responses to H1N1 had not been disproportionately aggressive.1–3 In addition, concern over ties between WHO advisers and industry fuelled suspicion about the independence and appropriateness of the decisions made at the national and international levels.4

Central to this debate has been the question of whether H1N1 influenza should have been labelled a “pandemic” at all. The Council of Europe voiced serious concerns that the declaration of a pandemic became possible only after WHO changed its definition of pandemic influenza.

Personally, the corruption and conflict of interest runs deeply in many organisations, with ingrained vested interests. Getting the media, uninformed health professionals and Joe public to go along with the line these organisations want to push is relatively easy for those with deep pockets.

I am not trying to take a pessimistic view of these matters, rather, a realistic one. As I have said many times before, the vaping community needs a sound, articulate, media savvy and educated voice to respond to any and all false claims. It can be done, but time is running out to find such a voice.
    jlmanos, lulu68, Whizgig and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotus View Post
    Unfortunately, the push against e-cigs seems to be gaining momentum.

As to the WHO, here is a piece, copy and pasted from the WHO itself:

In 2009, governments throughout the world mounted large and costly responses to the H1N1 influenza outbreak. These efforts were largely justified on the premise that H1N1 influenza and seasonal influenza required different management, a premise reinforced by the decision on the part of the World Health Organization (WHO) to label the H1N1 influenza outbreak a “pandemic”. However, the outbreak had far less serious consequences than experts had predicted, a fact that led many to wonder if the public health responses to H1N1 had not been disproportionately aggressive.1–3 In addition, concern over ties between WHO advisers and industry fuelled suspicion about the independence and appropriateness of the decisions made at the national and international levels.4

Central to this debate has been the question of whether H1N1 influenza should have been labelled a “pandemic” at all. The Council of Europe voiced serious concerns that the declaration of a pandemic became possible only after WHO changed its definition of pandemic influenza.

Personally, the corruption and conflict of interest runs deeply in many organisations, with ingrained vested interests. Getting the media, uninformed health professionals and Joe public to go along with the line these organisations want to push is relatively easy for those with deep pockets.

I am not trying to take a pessimistic view of these matters, rather, a realistic one. As I have said many times before, the vaping community needs a sound, articulate, media savvy and educated voice to respond to any and all false claims. It can be done, but time is running out to find such a voice.
    you are correct that the vaping community needs a voice, but the voice will never be heard by the general public because they are fed falsified information on a daily basis. the media in a way creates fear in society to keep people interested, instead of making a news article labelled "VAPING, THE SAFEST ALTERNATIVE TO SMOKING" they would much rather say "VAPING, THE PHENOMENON CAUSING WORLDWIDE NICOTINE ADDICTION & THREATENING YOUR CHILDREN'S LIVELIHOOD"
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

CMB
    AVF Regular
    It's funny that *generally* the main people against vaping are the pontificators, the intellectual masturbators, but the health professionals on the front line, the ones that come face to face with humanity rather than population studies, reports and graphs are more likely to be receptive to vaping as a harm reduction method.

So how do we subvert these wankers? They'll never listen to anyone who has a differing viewpoint than their own, arguing and spinning BS is what they thrive on.
    jlmanos, Whizgig and Browny like this.

jlmanos and CMB, I agree, with you both, that is why our only real hope is a counter argument, that exposes their lies. The media, is only too happy to publish these lies, but the media can be encouraged to mix alternate views, when the motivation is right. It can happen, but it will take many small steps.

If you want an example of how this can be achieved and despite which side of the fence you sit on, there is a perfect example of getting airtime for opposing views to that perpetrated by the media. The example I am referring to is Global Warming. Despite billions being spent and earned on the pro-agenda side of the fence, the argument and implementation of measures is far from settled.

And no, I don't want to start a AGW topic, just giving an example of how a very pro-agenda line can be turned enough by convincing counter arguments.
    jlmanos and Whizgig like this.

AVF Regular
    But really if a vaper spokesperson was put forward the vapers (us) would probably just rip each other to shreds as usual.

It would be good if it was otherwise though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast