Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Will E-Cigs be banned in the distant future?

Will E-Cigs be banned in the distant future?

Hi,

It may not appear like it is possible for governments to ban e-cigs now but surely laws get tighter and tighter as time goes on. For example, with the recent ban from WA. Perhaps the same will happen to the rest of Australia. Surely, you can still import but the future of that is also muddy.

I want to understand the position of the e-cig industry. There are certain things I do not understand. Health authorities are concerned with these products. Why don't they test them? E.g. Determine the chemical components of these cigarettes. Maybe they have, maybe they have not. Can someone catch me up to speed? I have heard they got anti-freeze and lead. Shouldn't that be sufficient for a ban?
    Last edited by simonvee; 05-07-14 at 12:14 AM.

AVF Regular
    Changed my mind. Tag in someone else.
    JWH, Nakor, Gresh11 and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
    Hi,

It may not appear like it is possible for governments to ban e-cigs now but surely laws get tighter and tighter as time goes on. For example, with the recent ban from WA.
    Perhaps the same will happen to the rest of Australia. Surely, you can still import but the future of that is also muddy.

I want to understand the position of the e-cig industry. There are certain things I do not understand. Health authorities are concerned with these products. Why don't they test them? E.g. Determine the chemical components of these cigarettes. Maybe they have, maybe they have not. Can someone catch me up to speed? I have heard they got anti-freeze in them and lead. Shouldn't that be sufficient for a ban?
    Because there are so many different types/makers of e-liquids.

Just because some idiot in the deep south of the US is making moonshine with methanol doesn't mean all alcohol is dangerous. Bad example, but I hope you see what I'm getting at

-----

Better example. Remember when the Chinese put poison in milk powder, and a bunch of babies died? They didn't ban milk powder!
    What I'm trying to get at is that some juice makers just use PG, VG, and flavourings. Others might add nasty shit... but that doesn't mean all juice-makers are doing it.
    Last edited by inertiacreeping; 05-07-14 at 12:17 AM.
    JWH, Crisscross, steve.c and 3 others like this.
    ---Juice Junkie​---

AVF Regular
    Hi,

It may not appear like it is possible for governments to ban e-cigs now but surely laws get tighter and tighter as time goes on. For example, with the recent ban from WA. Perhaps the same will happen to the rest of Australia. Surely, you can still import but the future of that is also muddy.

I want to understand the position of the e-cig industry. There are certain things I do not understand. Health authorities are concerned with these products. Why don't they test them? E.g. Determine the chemical components of these cigarettes. Maybe they have, maybe they have not. Can someone catch me up to speed? I have heard they got anti-freeze and lead. Shouldn't that be sufficient for a ban?
    Oh dear the anti freeze thing again.... Vaping is many times safer than smoking tobacco. End of story.
    And do you really think that the millions of people world wide who have switched to Vaping are idiots?

If you're a smoker this is a viable alternative.

I would never say it's safe because nothing truly is but please site me one example of someone getting sick from Vapeing.
    It's been around for over SEVEN years so if it was unhealthy someone somewhere would have got sick by now.

FWIW... I'm an adult a no Gunmbit idiot is going to stop me Vaping. There is just to much at stake.

Meanwhile updating your location in your profile is probably a good idea.
    Last edited by sc_rufctr; 05-07-14 at 11:02 AM.
    akef38 likes this.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

AVF Regular
    A good legal comparison as written above is the liquor industry.

Others are basically any illicit drug out there. Nics the drug, it needs stuff added to it to reduce its strength to make it safe, and some people cut corners because they are greedy and/or slack, nor do they care. Best precautions vapers can take is DIY. Id never commit to vaping something I didnt create myself simply because im pedantic about hygeine and moreso I like having full control of the outcome. This goes from testing my nic right through to cleaning syringes. AFAIK there are no standards to which mixologists are held to which is where the industry differs wildly from the liquor industry. Anyone can start a vape company and mix stuff up and sell it, the industry is full of greedy opportunists so would you prefer them to be controlling the quality of your substance or not? Fundamentally its drug dealing, those who know anything pertaining to that can easily make the connection. Those that dont understand it are the majority left in the dark wondering and worrying about the very same things you are
    sc_rufctr likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have heard they got anti-freeze
    Your normal antifreeze is ethylene glycol but hey now they make a much less toxic version due to the fact that dogs were licking this and the much safer alternative antifreeze is yes propylene glycol
    coopz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Any why is PG an anti-freeze?

Not because it's a nasty chemical, but because it has the properties required of an anti freeze.... Wait for it..... A low freezing point!

I've never understood the anti-freeze comments. The logic is just not there. Anti freeze, is exactly what its name implies - It doesn't freeze, why does this make it bad?

Simonvee, based on every thread you have made since you joined the forum, i suggest you learn to use the search function.
    sc_rufctr, Browny and Vaporific like this.

Anti freeze was a nasty toxic chemical, ethylene glycol. that's why we associate anti freeze with bad.
    They put PG in it to make it safer. PG is very very well researched and GRAS.
    Dumb fuckers watching today tonight though will not know this and cry on the internet about things in "anti-freeze" being in other things.
    Last edited by coopz; 05-07-14 at 12:02 PM.
    sc_rufctr likes this.

Retired Account
    Actually, Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos is currently doing research on eliquids he crowd sourced the funding for. He has published some preliminary results which indicate that 69% of the eliquids tested to date contained diacetyl. He also found an alarming number contained diethylene glycol, which is terrible. The sooner we get some regulation and a peek body which can demand that eliquid makers follow standards and only use concentrates where they are 100% certain of the ingredients, the better. In my opinion, one of the greatest problems facing the industry is that the concentrates pretty much all flavour makers use come from the food industry, and those concentrate companies are often unwilling to provide any details of their ingredients. More and more, you see very firm disclaimers on their websites declaring that their products are intended for use in food, and are not intended to be inhaled. The last concentrates order I received from TPA actually had a slip of paper inside reaffirming that the contents were not intended for eliquid use and should not be inhaled. TPA is a very popular source of concentrates for many eliquid manufacturers all over the world.

From their website:
    Flavor Inhalation Safety
    Inhalation of flavor chemical blends by use of electronic cigarettes is a popular and more chemically pure alternative to traditional tobacco smoking. However, please note that this use of flavors is a relatively new practice, and has not been safety-tested by any official organizations. Therefore, we are not able to guarantee that any flavor is safe for this use. This would also be true for any other flavor manufacturer. There are no companies that can guarantee that any flavor is safe for long-term use. There has just not been enough time to do this kind of testing.
    Browny likes this.

AVF Regular
    To answer the question, i think and hope no. I'm a bit in the regulated ballpark though in that i think for all our well being perhaps regulation isn't such a bad thing when it comes to ingredients and being manufactured by a quality company that focus on e liquid for our specific purpose, obviously things would cost more but that's the way it is and if that means good quality stuff thats approved for vaping then so be it.
    Browny likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast