Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My Uni has banned Vaping

AVF Regular

My Uni has banned Vaping

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been mentioned by any one before, but my University has recently banned smoking on its grounds, and has included e-cigarettes in the ban. Even though the campus is in the city and so is easy to be off campus to vape, it sorta irks me that I have been lumped in the same category as a smoker.

Here is the link to the statement about what is considered smoking/banned. Frequently Asked Questions - RMIT University The relevant info is under dropdown menu "What is considered a tobacco product and is therefore prohibited?"

I sorta get why they'd move to do this, and I guess it highlights the need for more discussion/information/research around vaping. The reasoning was stated as "Unlike nicotine replacement therapy products (which have been rigorously assessed for efficacy and safety, and therefore approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration), no assessment of electronic cigarettes has been undertaken and, therefore, the quality and safety of electronic cigarettes is not known (TGA 2013)."

However, what about if I'm vaping non-nicotine liquid, which is less harmful than the polluted air in the city, how does that affect anyone and why should I be prevented from doing this outdoors on campus. I don't believe in pushing the limit with where/how I vape, so only vape where smoking is allowed generally, but this is a bit ridiculous really.

Sorry, just thought I'd share this info and see what people thoughts are on this, as to me it highlights the ignorance around vaping and the need for studies to clearly outline the real health benefits/negatives of vaping and the effects on second hand exposure.

If its been covered before or can be redirected to another place, feel free to do so mods. Cheers
    "Vape mail incoming, I have"

AVF Regular
    wtffff.. are they part of the group of 8?
    Slayer likes this.
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

AVF Regular
    They're covering their arse. TGA statement provides the excuse, and proves that they'll just copy what officialdom says. In their eyes, it doesn't mater if you have nic or not.

"no assessment of electronic cigarettes has been undertaken and, therefore, the quality and safety of electronic cigarettes is not known" (this is bullshit BTW)

You could always ask the university to do a study

Just step onto Swanston Street
    Master Sergeant and Slayer like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Just stealth vape on the quiet.

They are just covering themselves against in possible liability in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikhme View Post
    Just stealth vape on the quiet.

They are just covering themselves against in possible liability in the future.
    good idea

You could also just go for a little walk onto the street.

It's not a real big issue at all. Many businesses will do the same because of any possible liability. Not enough is known about vaping so you can't blame them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikhme View Post
    You could also just go for a little walk onto the street.

It's not a real big issue at all. Many businesses will do the same because of any possible liability. Not enough is known about vaping so you can't blame them.
    Yeah, agree, is not a big issue for me, not hard to go onto street. And agree that they're covering themselves, so don't blame them at all. That wasn't the intended tone of my post. My post was more to highlight how lack of research and awareness is making it hard for vapers, as even no-nic vapers are treated like smokers.

My actual frustration is that lack of studies/research into vaping and general ignorance about vaping is causing this sort of thing to happen.
    "Vape mail incoming, I have"

AVF Regular
    i vape at adelaide uni if anyone says "you're not allowed to smoke in here" i respond.. "well its lucky I'm not smoking or id be breaking the law"
    Slayer likes this.
    I Don't Smoke Analogues

AVF Regular
    there is lots of research, we're just missing the long term effects, and even then, long term pg and vg exposure IS known
    Slayer likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    yeah definitely an unfortunate side effect of lack of information in certain areas right now - most organisations will err on the side of caution as a result - society (in general) has become too litigious for them not to.
    Slayer likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast