Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Australia Vacation and e-Juice containing nicotine

Australia Vacation and e-Juice containing nicotine

Hi there

So I am pretty new to the whole vaping thing, but here in South Africa there are pretty much no restrictions regarding vaping or e-juice with nicotine.

However I am a 2 pack a day smoker with an asthmatic chest so I was advised to try vaping, so far it seems to be working for me although I haven't been in it long enough to find actual vape stores or anything like that around here.

Now I am coming to visit family in Australia next month, I'll be spending one week in Perth and then one week in Melbourne. I already know that it is okay to bring my e-cig with me into the country as long as the batteries are protected, yada yada fish-paste.

Now what I'm trying to find out is what the rules are regarding bringing my juices with me.

Can I bring my nicotine juices in with me?
    I know that you could import juices containing nicotine for personal use only, but does this law apply to tourists as well?
    I found an old thread from August last year where a member asked basically the same questions and they were told its all okay but there was that recent court case with HeavenlyVapors which might have changed things.

Is there a limit to how much I can bring with me?
    You are not allowed to bring more than 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of tobacco into Aus, but I haven't found anything about restrictions on e-juice.
    I generally use either a 18mg premixed juice or else the 24mg base which I combine with whatever flavour I choose for the day. Most 'flavoured' juices here are either 0mg, 6mg or 12mg so I find them too weak for me which is why I add a little of the nicotine base. I found an Italian brand called Liqua which makes Marlboro and Peter Stuyvesant flavoured juices so if I brought two of those, two fruity ones and one of the nicotine base would they get confiscated? The bottles normally come in 10ml

I am going to be travelling from one side of Aus to the other, are there different laws for each city?
    Here in SA we don't have different laws for different provinces but I don't know if the same is true of Aus.

Lastly has anyone had recent experience with customs and e-juices, say in the last month or two? If you have, could you share what your experience was.

Getting my stuff confiscated would be a nightmare and paying roughly R250 a day for a box of smokes would kill my travel budget so if anyone here can answer my questions I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Silvering
    remi1au likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hi mate .. I can't say for sure what customs will think of your ejuice, but I do know that when you are dealing with customs you are dealing with federal laws .. Not state laws, so recent events in WA should have no bearing. As thing currently stand the Feds appear to be indifferent to personal nic imports. The customs declaration you fill in when you enter Australia asks specifically about tobacco products amongst other things, the way I see it ejuice with nic is not a tobacco product so you do not need to declare it.
    I think you will be ok .. But if things go bad pm me here

Edit. I'm in Perth too in case that wasn't obvious
    Last edited by remi1au; 18-07-14 at 12:31 AM.

I've spent far more than that on vaping ... But I like to think of the positives
    Actually I don't think that's true anymore .. Savings now exceed spending .. Sweet !
    Innokin SVD (dead), MVP v2 and itaste VV3 (dead), several eGo's, EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus, Aerotank Mega, Aspire Nautilus, ET-s, Mini Nova-s, CE5 BDCs .. So far

AVF Regular
    Hi Silvering. I don't have person experience, but here's Australian customs info in e-cigs and liquid with nicotine: Alcohol/Cig/Tobacco2

Basically, unless your juices make therapeutic claims, they 'are not prohibited imports under Customs law'.

It might make you feel better if you print out that page and carry it with you.
    qwertylesh and remi1au like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    I come through customs with multiple 30ml bottles of nic juice regularly (well, typically half-empty ones :-)). Will be doing so this afternoon in fact. Nothing to declare, never had an issue.

AVF Regular
    I'll be going to india late next month, for at least a week and intend to take around 90-100ml along with me in 30ml bottles.

I should have no issues, I've printed off the typical aviation ecigarette statement and also the link from btobw (thank you btw)

will be carrying a few batteries, a soshine, an ecig or two (sigeli 50w or provari), some 18650s in cases and the juice, I'll be keeping the printed docs on my to ensure I dont run into trouble.

AVF Regular
    I wouldnt worry to much, how would they ever know there is Nicotine in the liquid unless you tell them anyway, surely they wouldnt go to all that trouble to test it when there really is no laws saying one cant bring it over with them. If you're that concerned just tell them its 0mg/ml eliquid.

AVF Regular
    i don't see how dishonesty is going to do you any good at an airport, they could hold you on suspicion of trafficking drugs if you do not disclose honestly what the liquids are....

good luck with that hoekone

AVF Regular
    i was waiting for it, fair enough i know what your saying but i highly doubt someone at the airports getting their titration kit out to test how much Nic is in your 30ml bottle of juice, never know though i guess.

AVF Regular
    yeah, I dont expect them to have testing capability, although you never know. personally, im still a little on the fence about taking juice with me at all, im sure i could source some when i get there.

My original point was just that I was glad to have several backing documents that should prevent any airport idiots throwing away my ecig on me. the sad fact is that it has happened to others in the past.

AVF Regular
    Yeah the problems seem to be more with the devices mainly because they dont know what it is. You dont have one that looks like a grenade do you? ha

I take back what i said about be deceving about the juice, wasnt thinking straight, your right, it is an airport and i probably wouldnt try and pull a fast one on them, they have all sorts of powers these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast