Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Study Reveals Health Risks of E-cigs

Study Reveals Health Risks of E-cigs

Study reveals health risks of e-cigarettes

Published on IFL Science 28/7/2014

Why are you rehashing these lies? Firstly, the smallest particle sizes occur with water in steam. The size doesn't matter, what they are made of does. PG and VG are easily metabolised and non carcinogenic. Conversely, cigarette smoke particles are just nasty. Secondly, the test on high voltages etc in a machine is very likely to represent a "dry hit" which any vaper, especially high voltage vapers, learns to avoid by keeping the wick wet.
    JWH, Cath Mort, davee and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Oh dear time to quit vaping ... its gonna kill me... how much is a pack of smokes these days? Oh and does quickmist still have hydocloric in it? Cause that would be sooo much more preferable to vaping ...
    Cath Mort and davee like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

JWH, gtadmin, essiemessy and 5 others like this.

I wouldn't have posted this if I thought it was based on lies. I have been reading IFL Science for years, and whilst it is all about "pop science" it is generally based on existing classical study.

This article in particular is referencing this recent study which if fully cited and peer reviewed.

Whilst the original article is clearly has that "anti-smoking" vibe, I didn't think it, or its references were particularly alarmist about vaping.

I find the policy recommendations in Contemporary Reviews in Cardiovascular Medicine especially good. As I feel they would be quite achievable in Australian society.

Prohibit the use of e-cigarettes anywhere that use of conventional cigarettes is prohibited.

Prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes to anyone who cannot legally buy cigarettes or in any venues where sale of conventional cigarettes is prohibited.

Subject e-cigarette marketing to the same level of restrictions that apply to conventional cigarettes (including no television or radio advertising).

Prohibit cobranding e-cigarettes with cigarettes or marketing in a way that promotes dual use.

Prohibit the use of characterizing flavors in e-cigarettes, particularly candy and alcohol flavors.

Prohibit claims that e-cigarettes are effective smoking cessation aids until e-cigarette manufacturers and companies provide sufficient evidence that e-cigarettes can be used effectively for smoking cessation.

Prohibit any health claims for e-cigarette products until and unless approved by regulatory agencies to scientific and regulatory standards.

Establish standards for regulating product ingredients and functioning.

AVF Regular
    just get out of my forum.

(lol jk do whatever u want)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Waratah67 View Post
    Prohibit the use of e-cigarettes anywhere that use of conventional cigarettes is prohibited.

Prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes to anyone who cannot legally buy cigarettes or in any venues where sale of conventional cigarettes is prohibited.
    Why restrict the availability of a less harmful option.

Subject e-cigarette marketing to the same level of restrictions that apply to conventional cigarettes (including no television or radio advertising).
    Why? What is the science to demand this, especially while there are still smokers of burning tobacco who need to quit?

Prohibit cobranding e-cigarettes with cigarettes or marketing in a way that promotes dual use.
    Again why? Every cigarette NOT smoked is surely a bonus.

Prohibit the use of characterizing flavors in e-cigarettes, particularly candy and alcohol flavors.
    Why? Vaping is not anymore attracive to kids than it is to kittens.
    Oh, and F you if I can't have flavours.

Prohibit claims that e-cigarettes are effective smoking cessation aids until e-cigarette manufacturers and companies provide sufficient evidence that e-cigarettes can be used effectively for smoking cessation.
    Marginally fair call, go for one the TGA approved weasel statements instead, near enough.

Prohibit any health claims for e-cigarette products until and unless approved by regulatory agencies to scientific and regulatory standards.
    The same bodies that have a financial ond social investment in the status quo? hardly a fair call this one.

Establish standards for regulating product ingredients and functioning.
    Good point, we should adopt a localised version of AEMSA's standards.
    more than 10 chars above.
    gtadmin and Crisscross like this.

AVF Regular
    Bite my tongue and only say as an adult vaper I strongly..........

Disagree with all policy recommendations.
    gtadmin and Cath Mort like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

I guess if everyone thinks about vaping from only their own perspective it is VERY easy to disagree with these policy guidelines. Taking that approach is very unlikely to result in widespread acceptance (and therefore widespread benefits) in our community.

The policy guidelines are good because its a set of conditions that might get vaping over the line with "non-smokers" through Australia's conservative media and political environment (remember we are in the minority here).
    Maximum Chips likes this.

AVF Regular
    as a non-smoking, ex. smoker, I personally should not be made to stand next to smokers nor classified in the same 'bucket' as them at any time - for my own safety.

surely public health would support my plight.
    qwertylesh, JWH, gtadmin and 10 others like this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast