Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: ABC Fact Check E Cigs

ABC Fact Check E Cigs

Saw this story on ABC news tonight...

Fact Check: Too soon to know if e-cigarettes help people quit smoking - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Their verdict - 'too soon to know'.

You mean too soon to know but the authorities are going to try ban it before we find out anyway.
    tugboatofdeath, Toddosh and KatSA like this.

AVF Regular
    How long has vaping been around now 8 9 years. Sounds like long enough. Fuckwits. But the general public are fuckn sheep.
    Aikhme and weissesfleisch like this.

AVF Regular
    If they have their way it'll always be 'we don't know enough', more like 'we like to ignore any positive research'
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    Its probably the closest thing to a neutral article I've read on the topic. The problems with opponents are well known but i think that we, as supporters, are at times too quick to dismiss legitimate questions and skip straight to bagging those people who raise them.
    JenJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
    i think that we, as supporters, are at times too quick to dismiss legitimate questions and skip straight to bagging those people who raise them.
    It's justified, how many people have written to health departments or quit websites saying they have quit smoking only to be ignored or their comments deleted? And here those organisations appear in that article claiming vapers don't quit, they can't be quitting using e-cigs. They maintain that stance and make up stuff just because they just plain don't like e-cigs/vaping.
    They are a 'temperance movement' for nicotine, nothing more, nothing less.

Much good work is being done by scientists and others researching vaping that just want people to stop smoking due to the bad effects of filling the lungs with smoke and aren't demonising vaping. But they are often ignored because most authorities against vaping are just crying about nicotine.
    Banning nic, even if vaping it, has become their work now too, I'm sure they're grateful to keep in employment after the drop of smoking rates around the world.
    They may as well ban caffeine e: or alcohol IMO, it would do as much more good as far as 'health'.

But these people know that nicotine is an easy target, a big money spinner, and politically possible due to the fact how much society has been turned against smoking already.
    Last edited by coopz; 04-08-14 at 02:15 AM. Reason: e for quote

"We've been trying to run a randomised controlled trial... but we can't do our study in certain states because it is a criminal offence to distribute the nicotine,"

In other words, we dont know, and we can never even find out, and therefore ecigs will be eternally banned from Australia.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
    Its probably the closest thing to a neutral article I've read on the topic. The problems with opponents are well known but i think that we, as supporters, are at times too quick to dismiss legitimate questions and skip straight to bagging those people who raise them.
    I agree with you actually, and even though I do it myself it doesn't help our cause to indulge in name-calling and attacking the man instead of the argument. But I do get tired of hearing the same old negative voices deferred to time and time again.

There has been a large amount of good research done on ecigs which this article mostly left out. There are also some well respected experts in their field who have positive things to say about the benefits of vaping -they were left out too.

The article was biased, it went straight to the most vociferous anti-vaping public figures for input.
    ahabse7en likes this.

The main fault is the biased cherry picked 2012 review article from Glantz et al is more highly prioritized than the more recent 2014 Robert West data from the UK which shows a doubling of quitting rates comparing NRT to vaping. The technology has evolved and the 2nd and 3rd gen equipment is increasingly common and therefore more effective. At least the article showed an openness to review once further evidence comes in. I have little doubt that the evidence from the UK will become stronger and stronger, especially in terms of relapse.

AVF Regular
    Exactly VOG. Sometimes I can't decide if we really are a bit backward here in Australia, despite the world wide web (FFS!), or if they are wilfully being parochial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast