Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    1,992

    CALL TO ARMS - Australian Senate Enquiry?

    I hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but it looks like it may be time for vapers to speak out if we want to keep our healthier option legal.

    I'm still waiting for more details, and will post more as soon as I receive them, but I have heard third hand that the Senate is gearing up an enquiry into the usage of e-cigs in Australia. Whether or not they are doing this with an eye already to put a proper ban in place, or if this is a genuine enquiry, I don't yet know.

    In the meantime, I need as many people as possible to email your State MP and ask if they have heard anything about this. Your emails should some if not all of these points:

    1. You have stopped or at least heavily reduced your tobacco usage thanks to e-cigs.

    2. That nicotine can only be imported for personal use at this stage and legislation does need to be looked at to allow for local sale but like a food product and not a medicine - comparisons to caffeine work well here.

    3. That the FDA study that warned of containments and carcinogens also stated that neither made it's way into the actual vapour and therefore to all current knowledge (maybe also reference the Health NZ study) e-cigs pose no threat to either users or by-standers.

    4. Nicotine is a deadly poison, but e-cigs only contain around 0.4%-3% nicotine and are both no more toxic than nicotine gum or spray and that the UK recgonises this by placing a limit of 7.2% (72mg/ml) on nicotine juice sales.

    5. Our Scheduling already recognises this with the exception to nicotine spray, and the vetinary Schedule 6 listing. eJuice SHOULD be Schedule 6 just like eucalyptus since it's used in a similar fashion and this ensures both product quality and packaging safety without the onorous finanical and usage limitations of TGA registration.

    6. No evidence of a single case of overdose or injury worldwide (unlike NRTs).

    7. Limited evidence does exist of their effacy - Boston Uni study and Italian study.

    That's all I can think of right now, but I'll be drafting my letter to Daniel Andrews MP (Mulgrave) this evening and will post a copy here.

  2. #2
    Mad
    Mad is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    ...it looks like it may be time for vapers to speak out if we want to keep our healthier option legal.

    I'm still waiting for more details, and will post more as soon as I receive them, but I have heard third hand that the Senate is gearing up an enquiry into the usage of e-cigs in Australia. Whether or not they are doing this with an eye already to put a proper ban in place, or if this is a genuine enquiry, I don't yet know.
    This is good news SAS. Do you have any more details? Would it be better to wait until the Senate enquiry is actually announced so that we know its direction, and who is running it, etc, before submissions and questions to MPs?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    1,992
    At this stage we need to learn more about the enquiry (assuming it does in fact exist) and how to get involved. We need to make sure that it's run "by the book" and not controlled by ANTZ. I figured the best way to do this is to ask the question of local MP's as individual voters - stressing to them how important these products are to ourselves, and how many lives they can save if fully legalised.

    Once we have concrete details then we can better target our assult

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    At this stage we need to learn more about the enquiry (assuming it does in fact exist) and how to get involved. We need to make sure that it's run "by the book" and not controlled by ANTZ. I figured the best way to do this is to ask the question of local MP's as individual voters - stressing to them how important these products are to ourselves, and how many lives they can save if fully legalised.

    Once we have concrete details then we can better target our assult
    This could be a good thing if some senators do a bit or research and have a brain. But from the history of this government I highly doubt it.

  5. #5
    Mad
    Mad is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    This could be a good thing if some senators do a bit or research and have a brain. But from the history of this government I highly doubt it.
    Fred Nile recently asked a question in NSW parliament about e-cigs. The question and answer can be found here:

    http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20101019050

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    1,992
    Perfect! I can use that as the source of rebuttle

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,409
    God, what fresh Hell is this?

    Isnt Parliament in recession now for Christmas?
    As for the Senate-except for a couple of notable exceptions, is full of loons.


    from link kindly provided by Mad.


    There is limited evidence available about the safety and health impacts of electronic cigarettes to users and others. Laboratory analysis conducted by the United States Food and Drug Administration in July 2009 found that electronic cigarettes expose users to harmful chemical ingredients. The World Health Organization has also stated that it does not consider electronic cigarettes to be a legitimate therapy for smokers trying to quit.


    Not true-
    In any case we know all about whats in Cigarettes and theyre Legal.!

    The usual flannel brained blatherings by the prohibitions-sounds as though theyre on the march again,

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hervey Bay
    Posts
    264
    Ready to participate - let me know how.

  9. #9
    Acb
    Acb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,068
    Subscribed with interest and, if it happens, intent to participate.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,409
    . i dont know if they'll listen, but the UK experience might help sway their opinion, that was positive in favour of Vapers.
    i would feel more hopefull if we were clear about what we are up against-which Lobby is stirring..and why. Guess we wont ever know the answer to that question,
    Is it just the Missionary zeal of various anti smoking groups or Big Pharma or both I wonder.
    Is there any point contacting politicians now because its recess and they arent back till next year.

 

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 03:19 PM.