Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Australian Vapers Association - all you need to know..Version 2

Australian Vapers Association - all you need to know..Version 2

Hi all

This is a (not as long) post to inform you all about the evolving Australian Vaper’s Association – the AVA.

The History

For quite some time there have been rumblings in the vaping world about the need for an association that could be a representative entity for all vapers and the issues we face on a daily basis.

Some people felt that you shouldn’t poke a sleeping bear, but the bear is waking up now anyway. If we shut our eyes to it, we will just be at its mercy. Vaping has grown hugely, and will continue to do so, and it is naďve to think that we can just sit quietly by and nothing will change. There will be changes, of that there is no doubt; we need to be at the forefront of those changes, and be an established association who is a force in their own right, who can show the powers that be that we are more than capable of organising ourselves, thank you very much. We need credibility.

The AVA was finally realised earlier last year when one of the newer vapers to AVF, BigKev, ran with the idea and asked for volunteers to set up a Working Group (WG) who would get together and look into whether an association would be a possibility. It was basically the task of the WG to ascertain whether or not an association for vapers, by vapers, would be able to work, what its aims and objectives would be, where the members would come from, what the name would be, how it would be set up, etc. A bunch of vapers got together, and set the ball rolling, under Kevs guidance, which was awesome as he has had lots of experience with clubs and associations, and knew what he was on about. Each of the WG members had a task to carry out, and they carried it out with dedication, zeal and professionalism.

Now the WG has been disbanded, and the fledgling working committee of the AVA has put the call out for member applications, as well as nominations for committee members and office bearers. This can be any one of you. You certainly do not have to do or be anything special. Though you will acquire that “special” status just by getting involved. All you need is a passion for making sure vapers in Australia are not screwed over by those muppets (SC et al, I’m looking at you) who seek to treat us as the lowest form of life on the planet – lower even than smokers!

To that end, it is intended that the AVA will endeavour to accomplish a number of aims.

Our number one aim is to not lose any access to anything we currently have. When I write this, I think “nicotine”, and our ability to bring it in to Australia as freely as we do now. I love vaping, and do not want to be forced back onto the smokes, when I have finally found a way to give up the smokes, get my quality of life back, and save money. As well as meet up with some fabulous people along the way. How many of you would be happy to go back to smokes now, or risk breaking the law? That could easily happen if our ability to bring nicotine in as we do now is curtailed.

This gives rise to another potential aim. And that would be to work out a way to be able to allow nicotine to be freely sold within Australia. There are many ways we could go about this, but that is a discussion for another time.

**Since I originally wrote this, we have had the whole WA court ccase happen. We simply cannot let this happen in any other states, so I am hopeful that we may be able to do something about future actions in other states.**

The AVA needs to be the go to vaping authority when the media come calling, so any information put out there is accurate and reliable, and paints vapers in a positive way. We also need an association who will be capable of talking to MP’s, parliamentarians, community groups and anyone else who needs to be told, and spreading the good vaping word among them. We need the AVA to be the go to site on the net when people need to know the latest news concerning the rights of vapers in Australia. We need it to be a lot of things, but put simply, we need it.

On the subject of AVF, and how it relates to the AVA. AVF is a chat forum that is owned and run by Jato0spry, and as such is nothing more to the AVA than a starting platform to get the message across to as many vapers as possible. The two should not be confused.

The intention for the AVA is it will be a nationally registered association. Due to this, there are rules that must be followed. There has to be a ruling body/committee, who are elected by the members. There has to be a constitution. Future posts will outline the current generic constitution we had to use, but this is something that could possibly be changed by the incumbent committee. There has to be a president, a secretary, a treasurer, and a number of other office bearers. Again, this will all be outlined in future posts, as I do not have access to that info right now.

The AVA will have its own website, which will serve as a gateway to everything that is happening, as well as being able to sign up new members, and provide data and stats on things that are important to all vapers.

The call for members will also be put forward on other vaping forums, as well as in the real world. It is envisaged memberships will be paid, as the cost for running the site and the associated costs with it won’t be large, but will be there. We will not be seeking to make profit, as we will be running under the banner of a Not for Profit Organisation (NPO). We are not asking for membership fees at this time, as we need to get the AVA set up first.

I envisage our membership base being consulted for a lot of decisions, because there is no use being an association run by vapers, for vapers, if those vapers don’t have a say in it. The committee and office bearers will merely be the facilitators, but it is up to each and every vaper to make the AVA a success, and a force to be reckoned with in Australia.

Where we are at at this point in time:
    We have registration in Vic
    We have a generic constitution
    We have a bank account that needs two signatories
    A mission statement (can someone please post the last version of this?)

What we need:
    National registration
    A website
    A time frame
    A quorum (5 min) of temp committee members who will be able to facilitate setting up the site, setting up an inaugural AGM
    A bunch of committee people to nominate or be nominated for the inaugural committee. This will take place at the AGM, and those people will have a min period of time to serve on the committee. Regular meetings need to be set up and attended, and minutes need to be kept of those meetings.

What we don't need in this thread:

Arguments, derailing, and personal insults to others. If you don't agree with anything or anyone, and feel inclined to share, don't!

This is a thread for facilitating the AVA. Lets move forward, bury all the crap of the past, and make this happen. Yes, no two vapers have the same opinion, but as long as everyone involved can agree on the mission statement of the AVA and work together for its goals and aims, and not their own personal beliefs, then I believe this can succeed.

Apologies if I have forgotten anything, or got something wrong. Let me know, I will be happy to edit.
    JWH, giruvian, gtadmin and 6 others like this.

A link to the Australian Vapers Association Inc constitution
    https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...J3ZbMBJNG9J4cA

2 Purposes

The purposes of the association are:

1. To provide independent advice to governments, the public, the media and to related

organisations and to respond to proposals and enquires relating to personal vaporisers.

2. Where appropriate, to collaborate with other bodies interested in the various aspects

of personal vaporisers.

3. To lobby for reasonable and acceptable regulation regarding personal vaporisers,

including the local retail availability of liquid nicotine for personal use.

The purposes of the constitution can be changed by the elected committee if required after the AGM.

Information on running an incorporated association
    Running an incorporated association - Consumer Affairs Victoria

Currently the AVA is looking for more people to make up the founding committee to move forward to the AGM. If you are interested in joining the committee, or to help in other ways, please show your interest.
    Those who have shown interest already thankyou very much, lets make this happen
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

Retired Account
    Old thread is closed, but for transparency, here is a link to the initial thread, for those who'd like to go back and read the history.
    Australian Vapers Association - all you need to know, and lots more

AVF Regular
    Hi All, please take this post in the manner in which I intend it to be taken and that is *a fresh start*.

If the AVA have interest in recruiting committee members or general membership and awareness and would like to take this further afield than AVF, a place has been set up for you and discussions about an Australian Association at nu-vapor. This post is supported by the moderation team at Nu-Vapor. I have included the link below.

If I am breaching any rule on this forum, feel free to delete this post. I'm hoping that an association can be for all vapers including those outside of AVF.

AVA Discussion

Thanks for reading this.
    lozza 82, JenJ and Fawks like this.

Hey again all

Have gone and posted the above on NV, and if there are any other forums we should be putting it on, feel free to suggest them. I have also created a group on here, and I was thinking we could discuss a lot of the nuts and bones stuff on there, or it may take a completely different path altogether...who knows? Anyway, the group is at http://forums.aussievapers.com/group...l#gmessage1125 so feel free to join it.

I only have sporadic net access atm, so may not be online as much as I can be, but I am sure Lozza will never be too far away to answer any questions relating to the future of the AVA.

Like I just posted on NV, it is envisaged the AVA will be a national association serving the interests of all vapers in Australia. It may not be all that effective, but I do think it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. We don't need to agree with each other, we just need to agree with the objectives of the AVA. And the main one is to improve the lot of vapers in Australia, for now and the future, and to protect the freedoms we currently enjoy. That is all.
    JWH, lozza 82 and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardmama View Post
    Hey again all

Have gone and posted the above on NV, and if there are any other forums we should be putting it on, feel free to suggest them. I have also created a group on here, and I was thinking we could discuss a lot of the nuts and bones stuff on there, or it may take a completely different path altogether...who knows? Anyway, the group is at http://forums.aussievapers.com/group...l#gmessage1125 so feel free to join it.

I only have sporadic net access atm, so may not be online as much as I can be, but I am sure Lozza will never be too far away to answer any questions relating to the future of the AVA.

Like I just posted on NV, it is envisaged the AVA will be a national association serving the interests of all vapers in Australia. It may not be all that effective, but I do think it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. We don't need to agree with each other, we just need to agree with the objectives of the AVA. And the main one is to improve the lot of vapers in Australia, for now and the future, and to protect the freedoms we currently enjoy. That is all.
    Without telling you what to do, is it worth starting a private group on facebook rather than on AVF? After all, if people want to be a part of it but don't want to be a part of AVF, this might work better. The reason I say this is that if you truly want a national organisation outside of AVF and involve everyone, FB is the easiest format. I know alot of people don't like FB but they don't need to do anything other than join with a simple generic profile.

Anyway, just something to consider.

AVF Regular
    Given what I've seen regarding the yahoo group issues, I'd suggest moving away from anything like that as quickly as possible.

Web hosting should be dirt cheap for the traffic levels expected and storage required. If you have an address and hosting you could easily have a public site and private collaboration tools in the background. At least then it's unlikely to be lost or locked out.

I think a lot of people are hesitant\too apathetic to volunteer given the history of what's happened in the past. I suspect to get anywhere you may have to directly approach\recruit good people for this.
    JWH and lulu68 like this.

I hear you and you make a valid point. But I am unable to make a fb page at this time - I dont even use it socially - and anyway, it seems the more I do, the more I have to do. Not bad for someone with limited net access. So, I am going to close the group on here right now, because we wouldn't want one side to have an unfair advantage now, would we?

That way I can post on here, post on NV, and any other forums. Groups be damned.

Might I remind you, that this is only trying to get together the foundations of the future AVA. And while I have your attention, the suggestion to open a group on here was made so that anything negative might be put in there and not appear on the front page of this forum, as has happened in other cases. But it seems it is not a good idea at all

So the group on here will be closed forthwith. Thanks for your contribution davi. This is how it starts.

And no matter what happens now, the future AVA committee, it is hoped, will consist of nominated members from anywhere, who still need to be elected in by their peers. For all I know, the future committee may decide to do everything differently to anything we have thought would happen. But is is hoped that any future committee members who want to be up for nominating would be well past who posted what on where, and instead simply have the best interests of the AVA at heart.

Bottom line...we don't really need any place to talk about it. We just need people who will step up and be involved, to get it off the ground. That is all. So far I haven't had one person contact me to tell me they can help out. Feel free to post on here or PM me or lozza with any interest.
    JWH, lozza 82, Nakor and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Can you tell us what jobs you think are needed KeyBMuma? That might help people to decide if they can help at this stage? I know Dogman offerred his help with the website. He just had some issues with the formalities of it (I might be wording this wrongly so apologies Dogman if I have).

AVF Regular
    Also, if you accept Dogman's offer, maybe he could set up a FB group? Sorry Dogman, just a suggestion? Feel free to tell me to piss off.
    DogMan likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast