Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Regulation - Advocacy - Activism

AVF Regular

Regulation - Advocacy - Activism

Hi, new member but I've been a human being for a long time.
    At a glance - and if I'm mistaken I apologise - there isn't much happening in the form of advocacy for vapers in Australia.
    I'll be brief so I wont bore you and hopefully hear back from members here:

In short: The writing is on the wall - the WHO put out a press release a few weeks ago advising tgovernments to consider regulating the industry.
    As I understand it, e-cigs sales have been banned in WA and last week QLD has given them the same public use restrictions as regular cigarettes.

###I feel like we're running out of time###

I can't imagine things getting easier for vapers. The AMA along with the govt will most likely decide to regulate (or OVER-regulate) the industry and once that happens...well it will be a lot harder to argue our case once bills have passed.

We need an advocacy group & ideally legal representation from a reputable firm. We need to make our arguments heard.
    Ideas, I have some, would be happy to discuss them in greater detail.

AVF Regular
    Welcome. Why not introduce yourself in the new vapers forum. You sound like you are from offshore. Maybe add your location.

There is also a political sub forum that this would make more sense and you will get interested people reading.
    Fatman likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Welcome , I shall move this over to the Political Sub-forum .

Vapers are a fickle lot with many different people wanting different outcomes ... nothing wrong with a good convo tho , provided it doesn't divide more than it unites
    Crisscross and Hidden1 like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    nothing wrong with a good convo tho , provided it doesn't divide more than it unites
    didn't someone threaten to start 5 clone vs original threads recently?

back on topic - we love a discussion on here!
    Hidden1 likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    Hi, new member but I've been a human being for a long time.
    At a glance - and if I'm mistaken I apologise - there isn't much happening in the form of advocacy for vapers in Australia.
    I'll be brief so I wont bore you and hopefully hear back from members here:

In short: The writing is on the wall - the WHO put out a press release a few weeks ago advising tgovernments to consider regulating the industry.
    As I understand it, e-cigs sales have been banned in WA and last week QLD has given them the same public use restrictions as regular cigarettes.

###I feel like we're running out of time###

I can't imagine things getting easier for vapers. The AMA along with the govt will most likely decide to regulate (or OVER-regulate) the industry and once that happens...well it will be a lot harder to argue our case once bills have passed.

We need an advocacy group & ideally legal representation from a reputable firm. We need to make our arguments heard.
    Ideas, I have some, would be happy to discuss them in greater detail.
    There are a few people trying to form an Austrlaian vapers association. The thread is here; Australian Vapers Association - all you need to know..Version 2

There are also a group of people working hard to support an appeal against the WA court case, as well as being very active politically in general. You will find them on NuVaper forum.

They have a website and a facebook page. Website here: Home - VAPE

You would be more than welcome to get involved and contribute some ideas on advocacy and activism.
    Last edited by JenJ; 12-09-14 at 07:53 PM.

AVF Regular
    Thanks JenJ,
    To be clear, I'm more of a vape hobbyist than a political activist, but the more I get into it the more I see going wrong.
    @Fatman, I'm not trying to divide or get ideological, the fact is, the industry needs a qualified association/body which has the ability to lobby and speak in its defence. Without it, the moment someone big enough (say a pharmaceutical company that makes patches) or someone (say a kid dies) makes a big enough splash in the media then you've got yourself the minister for health drafting and pushing a bill through which will all but completely outlaw their use. It's not enough to say "oh well PG and VG are FDA approved non toxic ingredients they can't stop us using that" - you would be surprised just how easy it is to outlaw a particular style of ingestion of these compounds. Huffing petrol is illegal(not that i condone it), putting it in your car isn't.

So where's this political related forum by the way? I'd be keen to see what's being discussed.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    Thanks JenJ,
    To be clear, I'm more of a vape hobbyist than a political activist, but the more I get into it the more I see going wrong.
    @Fatman, I'm not trying to divide or get ideological, the fact is, the industry needs a qualified association/body which has the ability to lobby and speak in its defence. Without it, the moment someone big enough (say a pharmaceutical company that makes patches) or someone (say a kid dies) makes a big enough splash in the media then you've got yourself the minister for health drafting and pushing a bill through which will all but completely outlaw their use. It's not enough to say "oh well PG and VG are FDA approved non toxic ingredients they can't stop us using that" - you would be surprised just how easy it is to outlaw a particular style of ingestion of these compounds. Huffing petrol is illegal(not that i condone it), putting it in your car isn't.
    Yep, these are the reasons some people want an organisation. It's been a bit slow to get of the ground due to various hiccups, but there's been some more interest in the last week or so.

So where's this political related forum by the way? I'd be keen to see what's being discussed.
    Not sure if it's kosher to link to another forum (Fatman please remove if it's not), but there is a lot of Australian political discussion and action happening here: Nu-Vapor Australia

Super Moderator
    Click on the link at the top of this page lol you are now in it
    E-Cigarette / Vaporization: Political and Media discussion <-- here if you are lazy LOL

Politics is a necessary evil , we know this lol

We all love a good debate , hell it usually degenerates into a good stoush after a few pages . There are plenty of opinions, a smattering of good facts , and a lot of passion on any vaping forum ....Have at it , just be mindful that there will be many varied views
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

10char.......
    Last edited by marty; 12-09-14 at 10:43 PM. Reason: comment better suited for the other thread.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post

Not sure if it's kosher to link to another forum (Fatman please remove if it's not), but there is a lot of Australian political discussion and action happening here: Nu-Vapor Australia
    I really dont want this thread to be kicking off past animosity yet again ... so in the concilliatory spirit references can remain , but its usually bad form to be recruiting for one forum from another .....however lets not turn this into anything more than what I hope is just a informational situation .
    mrsgruffy, JenJ and Altered1 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast