Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Legal Advisory on proposed new laws regarding vaping in Qld

Super Moderator

Legal Advisory on proposed new laws regarding vaping in Qld

Thanks to eagle eyed member X* for sending me the link to the firm of HopgoodGamin ( Qld Lawyers) which details their interpretation of the proposed Laws and the background to their proposition

HG Corporate Advisory and Governance Alert: World Health Organisation report on E-Cigarettes prompts new laws in Queensland – 15 September 2014 - HopgoodGanim - On 9 September 2014 the Queensland Government proposed amendments to the State’s smoking

As always , with lawyers being such shifty people about anything but taking your money , they finish with

"[The above is general information only and is not intended to be legal advice.]" <----gotta love that !

So now we actually have a written interpretation of what it all means and the ramifications for our Qld friends , and probably what is to come ( but a reminder , other States dont follow Qld's lead that often ... Qld seems to be the nervous parent State when it comes to some things )

X* presuming they want to be anonymous lol or they woulda posted it LOL

** they need a proofreader too , I dont trust a law firm that cant spell corporate
    "For more information, please contact HopgoodGanim’s Corproate Advisory and Governance team."
    Last edited by Fatman; 25-09-14 at 03:55 PM.
    gtadmin, pcan68, Nakor and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Like this: " it will not be legal in Queensland to sell or advertise e-cigarettes containing nicotine without approval. "

and approval would be granted how ?

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Interesting. More or less what I've said so far, but good to see legal professionals having the same opinion.

Honestly I still have no issue with the prohibition on use in smoke-free places and while being regulated as a tobacco product is a tad on the wrong side, it is at least making the hardware itself implicitly legal for sale and possession.

I'd prefer is the usage controls had leeway, and perhaps allowed a particular premises to permit use if they wished to, and if exemptions could be made for display of products, but it could be worse.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

As always , with lawyers being such shifty people about anything but taking your money , they finish with
    If they're so shifty then why don't us vapers employ them to represent OUR INTERESTS for a change(?).
    I've only been here a few weeks, I keep banging on about it, people keep pulling me aside telling me it's a sensitive issue on this forum blah blah blah
    It's happening folks, organize yourselves (first and foremost into a retailers association), make the peace or we're all funked.

Moderators feel free to ban me if you feel as though I'm being inappropriate. I think it's a tremendously pressing issue in the immediate now.

AVF Regular
    **Comment deleted by the great potatoe**

Ooops, must buy more tinfoil.

AVF Regular
    Who is the "great potatoe" and why was the comment deleted? Did you mean potato?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    If they're so shifty then why don't us vapers employ them to represent OUR INTERESTS for a change(?).
    I've only been here a few weeks, I keep banging on about it, people keep pulling me aside telling me it's a sensitive issue on this forum blah blah blah
    It's happening folks, organize yourselves (first and foremost into a retailers association), make the peace or we're all funked.

Moderators feel free to ban me if you feel as though I'm being inappropriate. I think it's a tremendously pressing issue in the immediate now.
    You dont get banned around here for having an opinion , no matter what you may have heard
    It is only the manner in which you share that opinion that causes grief
    passive aggressive needling or outright slandering or attacking leads to sanctions NOT the message !

now NOT in context to the quoted post above I will add the following
    I think I speak for all the moderators when I say we get sick of being used as pawns in agendas ... whether you are for or against poking the bear , that's your personal choice no one elses .
    giruvian, gtadmin and Nakor like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    Who is the "great potatoe" and why was the comment deleted? Did you mean potato?
    It means after writing half a response, I decided against it, if only because it would serve little purpose and possibly lead to aggravation for the FatTeam™

It's also worth noting similar things have happened in the past, much dung was flung, and in the end it's all worked out. Ask Fatman how many times in the 7 odd years he's been vaping that armageddon was nigh and how many times it actually came to pass.
    Fatman likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    It means after writing half a response, I decided against it, if only because it would serve little purpose and possibly lead to aggravation for the FatTeam™

It's also worth noting similar things have happened in the past, much dung was flung, and in the end it's all worked out. Ask Fatman how many times in the 7 odd years he's been vaping that armageddon was nigh and how many times it actually came to pass.
    Well ...actually .... lol

Armagheddon is a funny thing ... in my time as a vaper there have been several Govt interferences ... none of them have stopped vaping , but I do relent and say a few have made it more difficult ( such as the 2009 rescheduling of nicotine ) ... I dont personally think Armagheddon is here yet , but I can concede that the groundwork "might " be being laid for it ...( as it has since 2008 ) and do feel that as vapers we need to be prepared and/or thinking about what we can do to prevent it ... but again that is a personal choice , as is where you decide to divert your energies if you should feel the need to .
    It will IMO not be so much Armagheddon , as controlled slavery to re-establish the cash flow between Govt , Pharma, and Tobacco

They have learnt that prohibition doesnt work in their favour so they need to balance the perception they are doing something , without endangering the political and corporate coffers
    mrs308hjute and Nakor like this.

AVF Regular
    I can take criticism and I have thick skin, I'm also willing to learn from more senior people than me who have been involved in the community of vapers. I wasn't involved in the dung throwing of the past, I'm not convinced that if it hasn't happened yet then nothing will happen. I'm not talking about picketing out the front of anyone's house, I'm just saying an entity should be entrusted in responding to attacks on the industry in an educated and qualified manner.

IMO the health dept is taking all the credit for lowering smoker numbers "thanks to plain packaging" without openly recognizing the correlation between those numbers and the rising popularity of PVs. But that's another argument altogether...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast