Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 2nite on ABC 7.30 report : Chapman on BAT's attempt to get into the vape game in Aus

AVF Regular

2nite on ABC 7.30 report : Chapman on BAT's attempt to get into the vape game in Aus

Should be interesting..............or not

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    Should be interesting..............or not
    S Couldn't stand not being part of a 2hour doco.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Say what you will about Simon Chapman, but everything he said in that program was spot on.

B.A.T lobbied endlessly to have ecigs regulated as medicines during the European TPD. They did this so they could obtain a monopoly on the ecig market where they can sell their cigalikes and promote smoking. Smoking is much more profitable than vaping.

I don't trust B.A.T one bit. Unless B.A.T came out tomorrow and announced they were planning to phase out the production of tobacco cigarettes in the next decade, I'm completely with Chapman on this. B.A.T is not our friend. We should let Simon destroy them.

At the same time, we (and I mean refillable&buttonclick-activating ecig users and sellers) don't want to be the collateral damage of that war.

No medicinal regulation. No tobacco-like regulation. We should aim to regulate ecigs like alcohol.
    Last edited by marty; 03-10-14 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added "&button-activating"

AVF Regular
    I agree, but they reiterated the gateway effect again and again, almost like the only point they had to make. there's more evidence against the gateway effect than for it.
    marty and Bobthebuilder like this.

To be fair though, it wasn't S.C preaching the gateway for kids from what I recall. I believe it was that other guy.

But I have no doubt that BT would like to use ecigs as a tool for getting kids onto smoking. That's why they've invested in cigalikes - the practice of holding a ~8cm long cylinder between the two fingers, the automatic activation of the device.

Auto-function Cigalikes are useless even as a starter/introduction to vaping for so many reasons. They're over priced which only acts to turn people away from vaping and they maintain the behavior of tobacco cigarette smoking. I'm more inclined to recommend a 400mah eGo or atleast a click-activation cigalike for someone who wants an introductory model.
    Last edited by marty; 03-10-14 at 11:40 PM. Reason: removed repetitive last opinionated sentence.

AVF Regular
    true about chapman yes, but they mentioned it quite a few times, seemed to be the only strong point they were putting across against ecigs.

we've all known for quite a while that BT want medicinal regulations to shut out all the other small companies because they cannot afford the massive amounts of money it would cost to certify the product.

BT also want closed systems only, no refillables, tanks, clearos, rdas. in fact a lot of the fun behind vaping to be wiped away in favour of bespoke systems.

Something good came of it though, its made people aware of the danger of medicinal regulation and how BT are trying to control the market.

AVF Regular
    For anyone who missed it, the video and transcript is here ---> Big tobacco pushes e-cigarettes as 'medicine' - 02/10/2014
    Prof Nick Talley is an accomplished academic and physician, however, he is specialized as a gastroentorologist I don't see how that qualifies him to speculate on matters of behavioral psychology relating to vaping i.e "If unregulated, e-cigarettes will lead to young people, lots of young people, taking up the habit. It'll seem to be cool. I'm sure this will happen. And that is not a good thing. It's quite likely, in my view, many of these young people will then transition to cigarettes themselves"

I would ask him: Based on what evidence have you come to this conclusion?
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

AVF Regular
    where do they get these people, and why aren't they presenting evidence that validates the 'gateway theory', might as well have gotten Glantz on for a laugh.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    where do they get these people, and why aren't they presenting evidence that validates the 'gateway theory', might as well have gotten Glantz on for a laugh.
    The reason they can't present evidence (even if there was a gateway effect) is the small problem of proving the never-smoker who progresses from vaping to smoking would not have taken up smoking anyhow. All they're left with is "I'm sure ..." which is even less statistically accurate than anecdotes.
    tugboatofdeath likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    You can't argue with 700,000 people ex-smokers due to ecigs in UK alone, but i guess the story wasn't about ecigs, more about sneaky tobacco companies.

first thing that worried me was that this might cause a clampdown on imports.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast