Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: NT health minister wants some "research"

NT health minister wants some "research"

AVF Regular
    Because the rates on smoking among indigenous populations in the NT isn't high enough he needs to make it harder for people to quit.
    Pleski, Olfella and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    Yes, because NT has so few drug abuse problems, they can afford to focus on ecigs. LOL. They probably think vaping is an east coast yuppie conspiracy.
    styxs, Fatman, MissLee and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    If anyone wishes to express their story or their thoughts on ecigs with the Health Minister of NT & perhaps persuade her to reconsider the benefits of vaping her email address is here: Minister.Lambley@nt.gov.au
    Skoville likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    Because the rates on smoking among indigenous populations in the NT isn't high enough he needs to make it harder for people to quit.
    Whilst there is a high incidence of smoking in Indigenous community's, in NT and other states - the population of NT is made up of a lot of non-Indigenous people. I don't think that we should attribute health issues in NT to be solely belonging to that of the Indigenous community. And while the intervention in NT was focused on Indigenous people, all of those social issues, be it smoking, drugs, alcohol, risk to children - those issues exist within the non-Indigenous population also.

On another note, I find it strange that if politicians are so concerned about e-cigarette's being available to children why they don't just make it illegal to sell them to children? Instead of demonizing vaping because of a threat it might pose to minors/children - just address what you think it the issues. Just like alcohol or cigarettes, they would also be available to kids but they've made legislation that it's against the law to "sell" it to kids - why don't they just do the same with vape gear. Problem solved? And the concern non-smokers taking up vaping - as adullts, isnt' that their right to choose to vape (although I always strongly deter people I know who don't smoke and who are interested in it), it is essentially, their choice - just as it is their choice to buy cigarettes and alcohol.
    Skoville likes this.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
    Rumi

AVF Regular
    So many issues with this....

Most primary being - if it normalizes smoking, why in the name of any god or higher power that you hold dear are we not asking for an outright ban on smoking? why in fact is an out right ban on smoking not being enforced?

If there was no smoking there would be no gateway - naive I understand, but this is like saying "Diet coke is bad" without saying "Lets also not sell coke"

Cockwomble
    Fatman and sj_funk78 like this.

AVF Regular
    SJ, I didn't mean it in a stereotypical way, I'm referring to two sets of data: the first, that the NT has the highest percentage of indigenous Australians in proportion to its population.
    The second point being that smoking rates amongst indigenous Australians is higher than non-indigenous. Links to sources from the ABS below.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publi...a-social#fnB22

4727.0.55.001 - Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey: First Results, Australia, 2012-13
    Last edited by hugeonreddit; 07-10-14 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator
    Skoey , you have no future in politics ... thinking like that you will never get preselection

Logical thinking in parliament went out with Menzies
    sj_funk78 and Skoville like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Amen to that Skoville!!! It does feel so odd that vaping would be banned but cigarettes won't be banned. You know what looks just like cigarettes and might lead people to smoking - it's cigarettes!!! lol It is particularly odd that there is legislation to ban anything that looks like cigarettes.....but just not cigarettes

Reddit - whilst I understand that you are fond of the statistic and links to such things lol, the ban will affect whoever is the trying to quit - whether they are in the majority or otherwise. There are people of other nationalities in NT who are not Indigenous who will also be affected. Why is that not the point? Why does it need to be about only cultural identity of the majority? And, to be honest, IMO your comment does seem to make it an issue that will only affect the Indigenous community...is that being stereotypical..I'm not sure? What are the statistics of Indigenous people in NT using e-cigarettes to quit smoking? - the link to those stats might lend some credibility to your comment :-D
    Last edited by sj_funk78; 07-10-14 at 11:38 PM.
    Skoville likes this.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
    Rumi

AVF Regular
    Yes I am aware. I'm just saying, they have a bigger problem than other states with smoking. I'm only citing sources because statements without them are as good as made up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast