Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By disley
  • 3 Post By disley
  • 1 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By Snidely_Whiplash

Thread: A CNN article Don't let Big Tobacco crush e-cigarettes

AVF Regular

A CNN article Don't let Big Tobacco crush e-cigarettes

Oliver Kershaw is the founder and CEO of E-cigarette Forum. He is also a co-founder of Vaping.com and the E-Cigarette Summit, which aims to promote open, scientific debates about electronic cigarettes and related technologies. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.
    E-cigarettes vs. Big Tobacco: Who will win? (Opinion) - CNN.com
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is considering how to best regulate electronic cigarettes as tobacco products.
    Big tobacco could take over the e-cig market, because of their money and power.
    Oliver Kershaw believes the FDA regulations will limit small operators in the vaping market, allowing big tobacco to take over, because they're the only ones with the money and resources.
    It's about burdens. If you start from the precautionary principal -- treat something as bad until proved good -- you miss the context that e-cigarettes are designed to replace one of the most dangerous consumer products invented.
    Needless to say, the tobacco industry's primary concern is not the health interests of the public.
    Last edited by disley; 16-10-14 at 12:48 AM.

AVF Regular
    Electronic cigarettes: review of use, content, safety, effects on smokers and potential for harm and benefit - Hajek - 2014 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library
    Abstract
    Aims

We reviewed available research on the use, content and safety of electronic cigarettes (EC), and on their effects on users, to assess their potential for harm or benefit and to extract evidence that can guide future policy.
    Methods

Studies were identified by systematic database searches and screening references to February 2014.
    Results

EC aerosol can contain some of the toxicants present in tobacco smoke, but at levels which are much lower. Long-term health effects of EC use are unknown but compared with cigarettes, EC are likely to be much less, if at all, harmful to users or bystanders. EC are increasingly popular among smokers, but to date there is no evidence of regular use by never-smokers or by non-smoking children. EC enable some users to reduce or quit smoking.
    Conclusions

Allowing EC to compete with cigarettes in the market-place might decrease smoking-related morbidity and mortality. Regulating EC as strictly as cigarettes, or even more strictly as some regulators propose, is not warranted on current evidence. Health professionals may consider advising smokers unable or unwilling to quit through other routes to switch to EC as a safer alternative to smoking and a possible pathway to complete cessation of nicotine use.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for quoting a little of the linked articles.

I hate having to follow a link to find out a) it uses a plug-in I don't have (or intend to install) b) is a video (which I don't have the bandwidth to watch) c) is a link that has disappeared..
    Snidely_Whiplash likes this.

If you need a good chuckle for the day, read kgarath's comments. Also, kudos to Oliver for engaging the proper dialogue without provoking the uninformed trolls, and the people providing the much-needed facts.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Quote "EC aerosol can contain some of the toxicants present in tobacco smoke"
    Didn't he/she just say, anything in a aerosol can contain some of the toxicants present in tobacco smoke !?!
    "So that's how mortine kills flies"

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    Thanks for quoting a little of the linked articles.

I hate having to follow a link to find out a) it uses a plug-in I don't have (or intend to install) b) is a video (which I don't have the bandwidth to watch) c) is a link that has disappeared..
    Oh so true
    Vaporific likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid