Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A must read article from RMIT about e-cigs in Australia

AVF Regular

A must read article from RMIT about e-cigs in Australia

Well fancy that!?! Never!?! It can't be true!?! I just can't imagine!?! So they're not just roulette pipe bomb gateways to smoking heroin?!? I'll be dammed!
    Olfella, akef38 and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Well well well!
    akef38 likes this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Super Moderator
    Its nice to finally have a link from a local respected institution ( RMIT ) to add quite a bit more weight to the Pro-vaping arsenal ... I wonder if Chappy sent them a letter about possible grants lol ( oh I am so cynical in my dotage)

Nah but seriously its good that academia is coming around ... certainly helps cement our opinions on things ... I for one am quite happy if just the message gets out that vaping is a Harm Minimising approach adopted by ex-smokers to stay away from tobacco burning ... because no matter how we dress it up , that's what brought us here
    And hopefully will bring a lot more out of the tobacco camp , despite the best efforts of those who want to slander it for personal or corporate agenda .

The whole "we dont know its safe " argument gets negated by a huge factor once its rephrased to " Ahhh but we do know its orders of magnitude SAFER than smoking , and probably no worse than current NRT " .... works for me
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

The whole "we dont know its safe " argument gets negated by a huge factor once its rephrased to " Ahhh but we do know its orders of magnitude SAFER than smoking , and probably no worse than current NRT " .... works for me
    Just for balance, I think inhaling some chemical food flavourings are potentially a lot worse than current NRT products, but those are medical products. To me vaping is everything you said it is, but those are side benefits of a recreational product, like alcohol, cigars, and sky diving(!), that does not hurt other people. As such there is no reason I should be restricted from using it once sensible quality and safety control regulations are in place.

ETA: Obviously alcohol use can and does hurt other people, but that only strengthens the case.

AVF Regular
    Here's an interesting factoid. It took a while to work out but we discovered I am allergic to the adhesive on patches. Apparently quite common yet never spoken about.
    Cath Mort likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Yes, unfortunately that is very common. I only knew about that by knowing people who need patches for other things like hormones and dementia medications.
    Oh, and dressings.
    Last edited by essiemessy; 16-10-14 at 11:14 AM. Reason: And another thing LOL
    Crisscross and Cath Mort like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Just for balance, I think inhaling some chemical food flavourings are potentially a lot worse than current NRT products, but those are medical products. To me vaping is everything you said it is, but those are side benefits of a recreational product, like alcohol, cigars, and sky diving(!), that does not hurt other people. As such there is no reason I should be restricted from using it once sensible quality and safety control regulations are in place.

ETA: Obviously alcohol use can and does hurt other people, but that only strengthens the case.
    Datsa why I said "probably " no worse lol
    JenJ likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    Yes, unfortunately that is very common. I only knew about that by knowing people who need patches for other things like hormones and dementia medications.
    Oh, and dressings.
    I can't believe I did this but in an effort to quit I put up with a major allergy attack for 4 weeks using them. My doc suggested spray on skin then out the patch on too. I was a bit desperate.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I think this is the original paper: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.../abstract

Hajek is a cool guy. He's the one who challenged that dodgy study where they gave ecigs to cancer patients and then said they didn't help. They discounted the people who gave up smoking from the results.

Re flavourings, I suppose there's always some risk, but in reality tobacco itself has heaps of flavourings, and burning those chemicals is probably much worse. At any rate most good vapers don't inhale that much, so the flavourings are only being absorbed by saliva anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast