Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By Pleski
  • 1 Post By Davi

Thread: **Important**WHO FCTC meeting October 2014

AVF Regular

**Important**WHO FCTC meeting October 2014

Hi, I don't think the WHO decision on ENDS/E-cigs/PV's has even touched the radar in Australia. You are making a mistake if you haven't considered this.

The AU Federal Goverment has signed up to the World Health Organisation FCTC. As far as I know we are attending but some countries have not attended because of Russia's behaviour. I don't know if Australia has boycotted but it seems there is nothing published that they have. The last COP, Pleberseck (sp) attended with about 8 Health Department personnel in 2012.

http://www.fctc.org/images/stories/policy_brief.pdf
    http://www.fctc.org/images/stories/Moscow_Day_2_WEB.pdf

The good new is the points in the links above. Although nothing can be taken for granted.

You need to be mindful that the previous AU Govt set us up to have PV's (ecigs) be determined by a regulatory impact statement of which the WHO FCTC MUST be taken into account.

From what I have read above, it seems that the FCA (which I believe is the major group within the WHO FCTC) has suggested that they should take a wait and see approach and appoint an expert panel.

If this turns out to be the case, at the end of COP6, we have two more years!
    Last edited by Davi; 16-10-14 at 02:23 AM. Reason: added
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

AVF Regular
    I thought it was positive about convening an EWG to look at the benefits of vaping. There's going to be a lot of good news stories coming out over the next two years.

If only we can now get the Aust policy makers to stand up and notice, and let vaping supplies go on sale, and stop raiding little guys (WA and Qld in particular).
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

AVF Regular
    Puddlecote on a supposed leaked document from the WHO FCTC.

A Glimpse Through The Blackout Curtain

And Snowdon's take on it also

Velvet Glove, Iron Fist: Leaked document shows WHO's hard line on e-cigarettes
    tugboatofdeath likes this.

AVF Regular
    From Clive Bates about Gerry Stimson's response. The text is the reported WHO final position on ENDS (and ENNDS) although not officially published by the WHO yet. You will note they have added ELECTRONIC NON NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEMS. Maybe this was specially put in for countries such as ours where Nicotine sales are already illegal but non nicotine ecigs can be sold in most places in Australia.

Professor Gerry Stimson reaction to WHO FCTC position on e-cigarettes (ENDS) The counterfactual

This is the final(?) draft of the FCTC COP6 section on ecigs.

http://www.clivebates.com/documents/COP6ENDSFinal.pdf

AVF Regular
    I've found the debate on the lockout confusing because obviously the tobacco lobbyists are railing against it and trying to get the vapers furious as well. I've yet to see what I'm supposed to be furious about (apart from the lack of transparency issues).

Personally I couldn't give a rats about them wanting to up the tobacco tax world wide by 70% because I don't smoke. And I don't care about 'plain' packaging. They can put pictures of ISIS beheadings on tobacco boxes for all I care.

AVF Regular
    Yes Pleski, I see your point however I believe Vapers are up in arms because the WHO has given every nation that has signed up the the WHO FCTC the directive that they can include ENDS as tobacco products whether they contain nicotine or not.

So I guess that means greedy governments can impose a 70% (I think is the figure) tax on ecigs hardware and eliquid if the country chooses to deem them tobacco products.

Or in other scenarios, ban them altogether or deem them medicinal. They have given the option of "consumer products" so I guess we will have to wait and see what happens here.

AVF Regular
    This is the final report from COP6 by the WHO

http://www.who.int/fctc/cop/sessions...L_04122014.pdf

Page 76 shows the final report on ENDS and ENNDS

Page 13 talks about their rationale in coming to their recommendations.