Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: How important is ecig marketing to Consumers?

AVF Regular

How important is ecig marketing to Consumers?

I had an interesting conversation with some AVF folk last night concerning the importance of ecig marketing to consumers.

For me personally, as an ecig consumer only, marketing and advertisement is essentially a non-issue. How a vendor or manufacturer packages their product is of no importance to me as the bottles and boxes end up in the trash almost immediately. I rarely pay attention to advertisements for any product these days - I always look at the specs first and last whether it be a new computer, car, fridge or ecig. Advertisements play a negligible role in purchasing decisions when you know exactly what you're after, and you're not easily persuaded to buy stuff you don't need.

I know there is practically no evidence whatsoever that ecig advertisement leads non-smokers (including children) to vaping. Although founded on emotion rather evidence, if this particular concern raised by regulators is standing in the way of having the sale of nicotine liquids legalised and legitimised in Australia, should we consumers support an initial compromise on ecig advertisement? Debates over ecig and eliquid advertisement could always be raised by vendors and manufacturers after the nicotine liquid sales have been given the green pass.

What are your thoughts?

AVF Regular
    For some it is important. take a look at some companies that are great at marketing, and have the fans to prove it - like apple for instance - they are so good they have the news media do all their work for them - but they also do a complete marketing package. If you were to take an iphone and compare it to all the other phones out there on specs alone it's not such a hot item.

For me, it's function first - I couldn't care less what box it comes in, nor how it's advertised. But my wife on the other hand......
    akef38 and PurpleVapes like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I admit I love packaging. Guaranteed to go a long way in my books.

But more importantly is the whole experience and perceived benefits. Free shipping piques my interest when the product and service/delivery are outstanding but useless when it's too hard to deal with a company.

I subscribe to my favourite vendor's newsletters but only for updates on stock or new item description. Normally they lag behind the information this forum is or has already discussed.

I don't particularly buy based on advertising because as PV said earlier I know what I want and who I want to shop from and most times I just wait for them to have a sale where I can get a better price.
    PurpleVapes likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Marketing and packaging are the ONLY reason why e-liquid ever crossed the 1$ a ml barrier ... esp so in the context of flavouring and doublers .

Before the smarmy marketers and artisan mixologists declared their abilities as greater than the general population and therefore were "Special and precious", charging over 50c a ml would have seen you laughed out of town

However due to people buying in on promotion and hype , such is the future of vaping

Where for an investment of $1000 and a recipie book , you can churn out stuff at a profit of 2500% and smile while people thank you for it

( hmmm overly cynical this morn FM .. must have slept badly )

giruvian, gtadmin, Quom and 7 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    If it was a proviso for ecig legalisation that no advertising in the media was permitted I'm fairly sure the community as a whole would be supportive. I don't know an ex-smoker who would ever want a non-smoker to try it...

"Review" sites are driving new vapers towards rip-off ecig "cigalike" companies. They offer huge commissions that inspire webmasters to drive traffic to their sites. It's better than smoking admittedly, but not accurate at all as far as the world of vaping goes. This is unavoidable unfortunately, we cannot censor the internet. And would not want to. I got sucked into buying GreenSmoke the first time I tasted vaping and would no doubt still be there if they had not stopped shipping to Australia. These companies make vaping fashionable and would lead non-smokers to pick up the habit, too easy and too cool to resist for people in their experimental phase. They are dirty dogs IMHO. I would go as far to ban retail sales but allow online sales domestically, to mitigate the availability factor for young people.

Now I'm on the right path the advertising makes no difference for me, I'm looking for a quality product rather than a well reviewed one. I was hoodwinked before. I say no to advertising.

Legislation, not Prohibition.... (geez, I sound like a weed campaigner)
    Fatman and PurpleVapes like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Marketing and packaging are the ONLY reason why e-liquid ever crossed the 1$ a ml barrier ... esp so in the context of flavouring and doublers .

Before the smarmy marketers and artisan mixologists declared their abilities as greater than the general population and therefore were "Special and precious", charging over 50c a ml would have seen you laughed out of town

However due to people buying in on promotion and hype , such is the future of vaping

Where for an investment of $1000 and a recipie book , you can churn out stuff at a profit of 2500% and smile while people thank you for it

( hmmm overly cynical this morn FM .. must have slept badly )

Cordial mixing pays well it does.

You were nice and didn't say it, so I did it for you.
    Dicko and bank like this.

AVF Regular
    Especially as lots of the juice I buy tastes awful, and ends up being given away or left sitting on a shelf.
    This adds a lot to the price of the juice I like.
    Kaoself likes this.

AVF Regular
    Tbh I ignore most marketing for vaping supplies (though marketing people would say I'm absorbing it all in subconscious way, I disagree).

I have specific criteria that suits my vaping lifestyle (eg ease of recharge, refill, safe, non-leak, portable, discreet etc) and then I go research and watch youtube videos to find what I want.

Having found what I want now (ie an eRoll), I'll stick with it until I find something that better meets the criteria.

Juice flavour is slightly different, because there's little means of knowing about the quality. I have to rely on reputation of the vendor, and the appearance of professional production, often by just looking at the packaging.

AVF Regular
    By all means present the product nicely. If you want to appeal to those who prefer fluff, by all means pander to them.
    IME however, pretty packaging doesn't make a product any better, even if it looks a million bucks. No doubt the million bucks is what beautiful packaging costs.

I've always been a no-frills kind of gal. Even though I call myself an artisan, it's about the actual thing I make, not the pretty box I put it in which to me is unsustainable as well as wasteful. I recycle 90% of the packaging I get to use for parcel postage sales I make, and make no apology for that. I've even sent delicate pieces in those heavy cardboard atty boxes. They're great! If anyone has any of those I can reuse, chuck us a hoy I'll pay postage

I don't think any of the juices I buy either here or OS are prettied up in any way. Just the product, packaged for practical purposes only. I dig that.
    Fatman, bank and PurpleVapes like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Retired Account
    I like the boxes! I've kept them all. They're mostly very sturdy and I'm sure I'll find a use for them in the future, right?
    I don't like the sexy marketing. I don't like that they try to glamourise vaping. I just don't think it's necessary, and I honestly don't want anyone who's never smoked to start vaping because it's considered "cool" or "sexy". I confess to recently matching my driptips to my devices though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast