Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Study: Trends in e-cigarette (use) in regulatory environments of Australia and the UK

AVF Regular

Study: Trends in e-cigarette (use) in regulatory environments of Australia and the UK

Has a paywall. I'm looking around for an open access version:

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/conten...31.short?rss=1

Note: Document acquired see below
    Last edited by Pleski; 06-11-14 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Update to request
    Davi likes this.

JWH
    AVF Regular
    No shit Sherlock lol, not you Pleski bro but the article
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Regular
    Even the abstract points to:

1. even government suppression can't stop a good idea from spreading
    2. the war on drugs is a huge failure
    Vaporific, Davi and Roseclipt like this.

AVF Regular

Here's the full article

The editor of journal sent me the full article via Twitter. She said it's fine to send it around.

I haven't read it yet so no comments on the contents.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Fatman, btobw, Sponky and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Interesting parts I found:

1. Australian vapers are younger than UK ones. (I think probably because older people are more nervous about the law, and younger people are comfortable buying online)
    2. a bigger proportion of people from non English speaking backgrounds use ecigs here. They suspect they're picking up the idea from overseas contacts
    3. by 2013 usage went up to 7% for Australian smokers, and to 19% for UK ones (from 2010 baseline).
    4. Australia increased about ten-fold and UK three-fold from 2010 to 2013 (though they seem to say the trend is statistically similar)
    5. Still a lot of vapers in Aust get nicotine (43%) despite the difficulties in getting it, compared to 73% in UK where it's easy
    6. Smokers unwilling to quit should be encouraged to try ecigs if they're interested, either as a way of quitting or a healthier alternative to smoking

They think it's remarkable that so many Aussies are vaping despite the tight regulatory control they're under. They think the regulators are pretty powerless to stop people buying stuff on the Internet.

And they believe regulatory oversight is needed to maximise the health benefits in both countries.
    Last edited by Pleski; 06-11-14 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added point

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    The editor of journal sent me the full article via Twitter. She said it's fine to send it around.

I haven't read it yet so no comments on the contents.
    Thanks heaps for getting hold of this. Really, really interesting.

EDIT: Just to add to your summary, I found this bit interesting....

"In the UK, ECs are currently marketed as
    consumer products but there are plans to regulate them as medicines or tobacco products by
    2016 to help ensure their safety and efficacy and also prevent misleading advertising. By
    contrast, in Australia there are no clear plans to regulate ECs in the near future and public
    health authorities are divided in their opinions on ECs."
    Last edited by Davi; 07-11-14 at 04:55 PM.
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post
    Thanks heaps for getting hold of this. Really, really interesting.

EDIT: Just to add to your summary, I found this bit interesting....

"In the UK, ECs are currently marketed as
    consumer products but there are plans to regulate them as medicines or tobacco products by
    2016 to help ensure their safety and efficacy and also prevent misleading advertising. By
    contrast, in Australia there are no clear plans to regulate ECs in the near future and public
    health authorities are divided in their opinions on ECs."
    You can't regulate something that is illegal. I think their long term plan is a total ban.
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Regular
    regarding vaping in Melbourne;

I went to PAXAU recently, and even though it was not a vaping related convention type thing, there were more vapers there at pax, standing all around me, then there was at the last several vape meets i've been to combined.

It's an eye opening sight to see, the main majority of these Neckbeard/Hipster vapers were sporting Iclear clearos paired with egos and zmaxs. Whereas at vape meets where theres less people, the main atomizer of choice is usually a magma or a kayfun.

there must have been a few hundred people vaping at the pax convention. I didn't feel like the odd one out because i was vaping, but because i was vaping a DNA30 NES with an Ithaka, I did feel like I wasnt part of the main trend (iclears = LOL)

vaping seems to penetrate casual scenes like gaming enthusiests, a big portion of the vapers were 20-30 year olds, was damn impressive.
    Vapes of Groth and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    I like the fact that the three Aussie authors are from Cancer Council Victoria. Particularly as it seems they are being much more practical than their national counterpart Olver. This paper is definitely as pro vaping as I have seen in this country from members of the Cancer Council.

My impression is the only reason they put forward regulation as a positive thing is because they want and believe nicotine availability and easier access for consumers to product is a good thing which will increase uptake as opposed to regulating out of existence.

But yeah Jen, I get where you are coming from
    JenJ and Roseclipt like this.

That's awesome to know. Thanks for sharing
    Pleski likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast