Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Asthma Australia - The Good the Bad and the Ugly

AVF Regular

Asthma Australia - The Good the Bad and the Ugly

E-cigarettes - the good the bad and the ugly | Asthma Australia

"Itís very possible you may have recently seen someone smoking inside only to realise on closer inspection that itís not a real cigarette thatís causing the smoke. Itís most likely that what youíve witnessed is someone using an e-cigarette. So what are e-cigarettes and are they a better option to tobacco cigarettes and to help people to quit smoking?

Electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes deliver nicotine (although some are nicotine free) through a battery powered system. They are often made to resemble the look of cigarettes or cigars and produce a mist for inhalation to simulate the act of cigarette smoking.

They are being marketed as cheap and healthier alternatives to cigarettes as well as an option for smokers when smoking is not permitted since they do not produce tobacco smoke. However there is a lot of debate regarding their safety........................" click on link to keep reading

AVF Regular
    I'm getting a page not found on that link, looks like their site is down.

But if they're being funded by the Lung Foundation, well, cui bono?

Corporate Partners and Sponsors | Lung Foundation Australia
    Last edited by Pleski; 09-11-14 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Sp

AVF Regular
    "...It is also claimed that e-cigarettes do not provide second hand smoke and can assist smokers to cope with their addiction in situations where they are required to be smoke-free such as on airplanes."

Well hell.. That's helpful :/
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    Dear Asthma Australia,

Since finding personal vaporisers and being able to finally quit cigarettes I have not had a single episode of asthma. My lung function has recovered to good-normal for my age and I find your public position on e-cigarettes to be ill informed and possibly may lead some people to fail to take advantage of this technology and subsequently develop life shortening illnesses, not the least of which includes asthma. I implore you and your organisation's leadership to do some basic reading of the widely available contemporary research and re-think your public position. A cynical person may take your current position to be an abuse of the implied trust your organisation has in the community by not presenting a fully informed and unbiased opinion. In some studies, the supported use of personal vaporisers has had a successful 'quit' rate greater than 6 times that of other common quit methods. To deny this, and especially given your assumed authority on the topic, contributes to the early death of many thousands of Australians. You collectively have some responsibility for this.

Regards,
    [insert name here]
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 09-11-14 at 01:21 PM.
    Robray, Fatman, mrsgruffy and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I am asthmatic, vaping will save lives, improve health and well being and save the public health system time and money, i have quality of life back.
    *I Use Clones*

Retired Account
    Feel free to copy and paste MrGruffy's response to asthmaaustralia and email it to info@asthmaaustralia.org.au
    It can't hurt to respond to crap like they've put out there.
    Robray, Davi and hugeonreddit like this.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Could someone proof read my non Asthma sufferer version please
    and post an update

Dear Asthma Australia,

While not suffering from Asthma.
    Since finding personal vaporisers, I have finally been able to quit cigarettes.
    My lung function has begun recovering, towards normal for my age.

The public expect you to present a fully informed and unbiased opinion.
    Yet I find your public position on e-cigarettes, to be woefully ill informed.
    This may possibly lead some people to fail to take advantage of this technology.
    There fore many people are very likely to subsequently develop the life shortening illnesses connected to smoking.
    May I implore you and your organization's leadership, to do some unbiased research, and then re-think your public position.
    Not to do so would be an abuse of the implied trust your organization has in the community.

In many studies, the supported use of personal vaporisers has had a successful 'quit' rate greater than 6 times that of other common quit methods.
    Did you read any of these, or was your research far more limited, to biased souses?
    Given your assumed authority on the topic, and your public position on e-cigarettes, may well be contributing to the early deaths of many of Australians.

Regards,
    [insert name here]

Ok I went away made a coffee, and looked at this again.
    The first paragraph is awful
    The second paragraph can almost stand on its own
    The third paragraph needs tweaking
    Oh well, may be I should go for a walk and come back again.
    Last edited by Snidely_Whiplash; 09-11-14 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I looked at it again
    mrsgruffy and MrGruffy like this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    I thought I'd read somewhere that nicotine may have beneficial effects for asthmatics? But then I've also read completely conflicting reports from vapers who suffer with asthma, some say vaping improves it and some say vaping makes it worse.

I did find this study on mice though;

Modulation of airway inflammation and resistance in mice by a nicotinic receptor agonist

And this one;

Nicotine primarily suppresses lung Th2 but not goblet cell and musc... - PubMed - NCBI

I have a feeling the experts know that nicotine, and even smoking, can have some beneficial effects for asthmatics but would never admit it in the current anti-smoking climate. It would be heresy.

My ex is an asthmatic and a smoker, whenever he's quit his asthma gets worse.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Feel free to copy and paste MrGruffy's response to asthmaaustralia and email it to info@asthmaaustralia.org.au
    It can't hurt to respond to crap like they've put out there.

Done............
    MrGruffy likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Hey Snidely, I proofed and corrected your letter, feel free to send it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post
    Could someone proof read my non Asthma sufferer version please
    and post an update

Dear Asthma Australia,

I'm writing to you regarding an article on your website:
    E-cigarettes - the good the bad and the ugly | Asthma Australia

While not suffering from asthma, I am pleased to say I have quit smoking every since adopting personal vapourisers.
    I'm pleased to say my lung function has begun recovering towards normal levels (according to my doctor) for a person of my age.

The public expect you to present a fully informed and unbiased opinion. Yet I find your position on e-cigarettes as biased, simplistic, ill-informed & at times misleading.
    This position may possibly discourage people to take advantage of this technology or for the least part, try it where they otherwise may have failed using traditionally approved cessation therapies & devices, subsequently causing them to potentially develop life shortening illnesses connected to smoking.
    I genuinely implore you and your organization's leadership, to conduct or support some unbiased research here in Australia, and then re-think your public position.
    Not to do so would be an abuse of the implied trust your organization has in the community which you are chartered to represent (not of your coporate contributors).

In many studies, the supported use of personal vaporisers has had a successful 'quit' rate greater than 6 times that of other common quit methods.
    I am not taking on the burdon of producing all of or a collection of these papers as I'm sure an organisation such as yourself would have open access to all the available peer reviewed medical journals available online. I will only quote a recent one A Longitudinal Study of Electronic Cigarette Use in a Population-Ba... - PubMed - NCBI
    Given your assumed authority on the topic, and your public position on e-cigarettes, it can be argued the information contained on your website might discourage people from attempting to quit through this technology, contributing to their premature death.

Regards,
    [insert name here]
    Snidely_Whiplash likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast