Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Alexwlamb
  • 2 Post By Olfella

Thread: Policy and Relations.

Policy and Relations.

Now, if anybody can link me to an existing thread on this topic (tl;dr usa-au policy relations), please feel free; keyword searches got too specific for me.

I feel compelled to be a little vocal about this. I'm an American, long story short, fell in love with an Aussie lass over the Internet, and have decided to reside here for a while until we possibly head back to the states. Been here about 3 months, and loving it.

Before I arrived, I had no idea about the legality of vaping here (inb4 facepalms for not doing research). After running out of nic juice, I've become more focused on what's actually going on instead of blissful ignorance, and assuming all will be well, and that the vaping community with either bunker down with year's worth of supplies or succumb to (hopefully beneficial) policies.

Essentialy, I have one foot in the US and one foot here, and my heart is equally bestowed to both; the people, and specifically what's going on in the legislative communities.
    All that being said, I'm very very scared of what's happening in the States. The FDA's proposal not only infuriates me over the hypocritical capitalist agendas of david v goliath scenarios, and those policies being enacted with little to no regard of truthful studies. The NYC flavor ban is another instance of "Hey these people lining my pockets say vaping is bad", as I'm sure you're all keen on. I'm sure my historically-liberal state of CalIfornia will continue it's line of "fuggit, you're consenting adults" will continue though.

What also scares me, not only for my sake but for all of you awesome, passionate, like-minded Aussie's, is the amount of influence US laws have on the rest of the world. As my brilliant girlfriend constantly reminds me, "You say jump, we say how high". This concept is at the core of my fears for the community here. You guys have a tremendous DIY scene, and I love that. Your creativity is bred out of necessity.

I can also understand if you guys has isolationist ideals. But my pleading cry is this, (please understand I'm not assuming that you guys already don't, I'm positive you're all accutely aware citizens); We all really need to pay attention to what is happening, specifically in the States, but also globally. All it takes is for a few leading cities to say the rest of the world.

In closing, the United States has always been a big influence on Westernised societies: please don't let them get away with this, as I'm as-all-hell sure that whatever happens there will deeply influence what goes on here.

Thanks, guys, for building this community, and keep up the good fight.
    Fatman, Vaporific and CCVaper like this.

Mate take your time to read all this,it may bring a smile to ya dial.I think the tide is turning the right way.The ANTZ are now shown to be what we always thought.
    Anti-smoking experts paid by Big Pharma | Frank Davis
    This should be enough ammo to start correcting a hell of a lot of wrongs.
    Browny and Alexwlamb like this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Olfella View Post
    Mate take your time to read all this,it may bring a smile to ya dial.I think the tide is turning the right way.The ANTZ are now shown to be what we always thought.
    Anti-smoking experts paid by Big Pharma | Frank Davis
    This should be enough ammo to start correcting a hell of a lot of wrongs.
    A very enlightening read, Olfella, thank you. It's nice to have your concerns confirmed, in a weird way.

My fear though, is that the USA's public opinion has become so deeply entrenched in the lies... I imagine any major politician having a platform of "hey nicotine isn't as bad as we thought" will be shot down and a pariah of sorts.

We Americans tend to be thick-headed *shocker*

AVF Regular
    Personally I hold some hope that the UK will continue to hold the torch for harm reduction, and that will wash down to Australia.

I don't hold out much hope for USA and Canada vapers. A barrage of "doctors" keep getting wheeled out by the lobbyists to deliver their 25 cents of daily crap. The same Big Pharma names keep coming up. Big big money and influence. This guy has them all pretty much pegged:

Clearing The Air: Smoking bans: good public policy? Or simply a great pharmaceutical marketing plan?