Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Davi
  • 4 Post By Altered1
  • 1 Post By kay67kay

Thread: Smoking by teens falls, ecig use increases - CDC report

AVF Regular

Smoking by teens falls, ecig use increases - CDC report

Although the naysayers would disagree with this analysis of the figures, I really feel these statistics and the website's take on it is correct. If ecig use lead to increased cigarette use among teens, we would see an increase in both figures.

From the article....
    "Between 2011 and 2013, according to the National Youth Tobacco Survey, the prevalence of "current" (past-month) cigarette smoking among high school students fell from 15.8 percent to 12.7 percent, while the prevalence of current e-cigarette use tripled from 1.5 percent to 4.5 percent. This is not what you would expect to see if the rising popularity of e-cigarettes stimulated demand for the conventional kind, as CDC officials repeatedly have warned might happen."

click on the link to read further and see the graph....
    Smoking by Teenagers Continues to Fall As Vaping Continues to Rise - Hit & Run : Reason.com
    Robray, JenJ, oxey and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Youth will always rebel somewhat - they will drink alcohol and coffee, they will smoke tobacco and pot, they will have unprotected sex. Despite what anyone tells them not to do. So, more kids are trying ecigs, but not going to cigarettes. In some ways this is a good thing.
    akef38, oxey, Davi and 1 others like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I think this is excellent for the very reasons you outline Altered.

AVF Regular
    Fukin ay, the more you tell them not to do something the more they're going to want to do it, it's like none of the Politicians/Media/Health advisories Were never teenagers....

as stated is it not better for them to vape, Then to be just another number an BT's deathlist?

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    if some of the stuff i've seen lately is true about the addictive qualities of just nicotine being quite low, then hopefully when they grow out of the rebellious stage, these kids will just stop using ecigs, instead of having a life time addiction to cigarettes.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I didn't read any data suggesting that the teenagers who used e-cigs were in the category of subjects who would have used tobacco anyway or of people who would have not used any at all. In any case I wouldn't take any single study as gospel, both in the camp that supports or discourages vaping.

Lightbulb

Don't you all know e-cigs are really dangerous and we need to protect kids from using them even without the nicotine so dangerous. They should
    all be on psych prescription drugs so they don't do these kinds of things, with side effects such as ticks, loss of appetite, hallucinations, aggression, manic, suicidal etc. Much better.

I think e-cigs and real cigs are very far apart in some ways. I think if you got into e-cigs first you wouldn't want to touch a normal cig due to it's taste.
    Last edited by richie231186; 16-11-14 at 05:21 PM.

AVF Regular
    **** Puddlecote's take on these stats. Within this article he has quite a few links to the real figures in Australia's youth use of cigarettes and how they have actually increased, not decreased. Also in the links are the true state of plain packaging effects contrary to Chapman et al rants to the contrary. Worth a read...

Youth E-Cig Use In USA: The One-Sided Equation