Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Davi
  • 2 Post By kay67kay
  • 1 Post By JenJ
  • 2 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By sj_funk78

Thread: Lung Cancer in non smoking Women still stained by Stigma.

AVF Regular

Lung Cancer in non smoking Women still stained by Stigma.

Do gooders have a lot to answer for.

From the article.....

"Lung cancer is the top cancer killer of women, and some medical experts say that they are seeing more patients in their 20s and 30s, many of them nonsmokers. But because lung cancer carries the stigma of smoking, experts say it is often overlooked in non-smoking patients — and doesn’t get the kind of funding or support given to breast cancer and other big killers."

Lung Cancer for Nonsmokers Still Stained by Stigma - NBC News
    kay67kay and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    very interesting. i wonder if there's a correlation between living and/or working in cities and lung cancer. surely breathing in car exhaust fumes all the time must be bad for the lungs, but that isn't mentioned at all in the article.
    sj_funk78 and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    No, they never mention it do they Kay? I've wondered the same thing. I live in the inner city and the dust that settles on window sills here is a different colour to the country. I've always wondered what breathing it in all the time does to people's lungs.

But I've never seen it mentioned, ever.
    Davi likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ladies if you read the links you will probably be none the wiser. Just like I am after reading them.

The only thing they all prove is that traditionally, men got lung cancer far more frequently than women in the past but now the incidences are coming closer together. There is speculation about genetics and the way women's bodies/brains work and possibly the fact that women took up smoking in greater numbers LATER than men and therefore women are peaking whilst men are declining????

Maybe as you both say it is just the fact that women are now more likely to be affected by the toxicants in our world because we are more likely to be doing the same things men are (regardless of smoking)?

Gone are the days where the little woman was a tea drinking, steam ironing, house working mummy that didn't know how to drive or dig a ditch or build anything!
    JenJ and sj_funk78 like this.

AVF Regular
    If you are interested in Australian Lung Cancer statistics, here is the AU Gov take in 2011. The latest results though are from 2007 so definitely not ecig related in any way.

http://canceraustralia.gov.au/sites/...af01e4b8b5.pdf

AVF Regular
    It brings to light the flaws of western medicine. Too often they find a "culprit" ie smoking and don't bother to assess other factors - I often thought when I worked in the city that the amount of pollution generated from so many vehicles constantly packed into such a concentrated area would have to surely be negatively impacting on everyone's health.

And you have to think of how many more women are working in cbd's now and being impacted by it. I would often find it ironic that when I was a smoker people would cough when they walked past me (even though I was extremely considerate about where I blew my smoke) when there was a sh*tload of cars and trucks packed constantly about 5 meters from where we were standing.

It is sad that Ann from the article had to push for xrays and such to get the diagnosis - if they had been scientific and had some kind of process of elimination (I always thought medicine was a science based profession) perhaps they could have found it earlier. I had my own experience of having something wrong but because I didn't fulfill the medical criteria for what was wrong, they never tested for it - until it got that bad that by the time they found out they had to operate. Doctors have a lot to learn about listen to people and being proactive and God forbid ...scientific in the way that they diagnose people.
    Davi likes this.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
    Rumi