Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Radio National Today on Diacetyl in Ecig Flavourings

AVF Regular

Radio National Today on Diacetyl in Ecig Flavourings

Radio National are doing a segment on the Health Report on diacetyl and it's sustitutes in ecig flavourings.

It will have aired already in he Eastern States, 5.30pm today. Has anyone listened to it?

Here is the lead segment on the Breakfast Show this morning: The Health Report: e-cigarettes - RN Breakfast - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Holy smoke! likes this.

AVF Regular
    It was really daft. They had an expert on from some health body in California & she waxed lyrical about the dangers of vaping & in particular how dangerous diacetyl is. Norman Swan the host asked her were her experiments done on Mice or Humans & she sounded very silly by saying "we haven't done any research yet but we are trying to start a conversation about these issues. She just made it sound like we are killing our lungs & she calls that a conversation. She also referred to the workers in the food flavour manufacturers that had bad lung problems from handling chemicals like diacetyl.
    Smoke without fire again.

AVF Regular
    Is that the lead segment on breakfast radio this morning? I heard all that on the link I posted. I thought they would have gone into more depth on this afternoon's show?

Anyway, it's on here now!

AVF Regular
    You were right rodbam, it was just a repeat of what I listened to on the website.

Nothing we didn't already know....except maybe that it's not just diacetyl that is suspect, but the commonly used substitutes as well.

Message: might as well just smoke. Lies that promote smoking here. Well done! Protection for the tobacco industry. No mention that levels of diacetyl are ONE HUNDRED TIMES higher in cigarettes than in e-cigarettes, PLUS all the other shit.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Stupid people (in the media, desperate for the shred on an issue), ecigs have 100s to 1000s less diacetyl than cigarettes and no smokers get bronchothingy Obliterans, only some workers in a popcorn factory that spread powdered diacetyl on their workers for decades.

If diacetyl is our worst danger in vaping, phew.

It's not enough for them to ban nicotine. They just want to go further and further, like an eternal jackboot stomping on a human face forever and ever, trying to eliminate anything that is the pleasure of inhaling vapour or smoke. It's almost enough to make me go back to smoking just to spite them, and grow tobacco if they try to ban it entirely, and have a diet full of evil nicotine filled eggplants!

AVF Regular
    I thought the lady made a lot of sense.

Problem solved.

AVF Regular
    Purple Vapes, it's not just diacetyl that is suspect, but also it's substitutes.

I personally think any and all of the creamy flavours are going to by highlighted sooner or later.

If any long term risks are found with vaping I reckon it will come down to the food flavourings. It seems intuitive to me that the darker, creamier ones are going to be the worst.

Not to scare anyone (I vape desserts like crazy) but there's nothing wrong with keeping your eyes peeled when it comes to this kind of stuff. Inhaling food flavours is unnatural, and like most things unnatural there are bound to be consequences. I know saying this will piss some people off though.
    merexy, Kaoself and CCVaper like this.

AVF Regular
    Inhaling anything other than the air is unnatural I suppose but when the research picks up a pace it should clear the air, hopefully of ciggy smoke.
    I think the V2 version of Capella Vanilla Custard is diacetyl free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast