Supreme Overlord of these Realms

Opinion Piece | The punch : Smoke till you drop but leave the taxpayer out of it

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...yer-out-of-it/

Ill let SAS take this one.

Not about vaping itself, more generally tobbaco related thought it might be worth a read for some.

AVF Regular
    I guess if the big tobacco company's conduct is negligence. So is our government towards e-cigs.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Somebody in the comments has already pointed out the $31.5 billion fallacy...

This one isn't even worth responding to as it's pretty clear the author already has a fixed viewpoint.

Did make me think though, if you are going to apply a standard it needs to be across the board, meaning:

1. Government collects tax and then pays for healthcare regardless of the "cause" of the disease.
    2. Government gets NOTHING (no tax, no excise, no duty) but then user pays EVERYTHING.

Seems fair to me...

OK, fine, I'll bite. I just emailed the author this:

Good evening Mr Penberthy,

I would like to comment directly to you regarding your story from today. Without knowing how many of your reader comments you have time to look at, I don't know if you are aware of the statistical mistake you made regarding the cost of tobacco abuse in Australia. The $31.5 billion fiugure is the reported cost to SOCIETY and includes intangable costs such as lose of years of life, and pain and suffering from accidents. This in fact makes up over half over the total number. The actual governmental cost to health (according to this same report) care is "only" $141.1 million, so our government is clearly in the black.

I have raised this same factual error with The Herald Sun over the article you have commented on. Should you have the time, or the interest, you can see the complete letter I sent to them here: http://smokescreen.info/wp/archives/1025

The fact is there is a solution to the "smoking problem" - our government just doesn't want to listen.

AVF Regular
    Good letter SAS

Here is some good news anyhow- Holland has disbanded their Governments anti Smoking lobby-
    Screams of pain from the handwringers (What about our JOBS!!)
    One good thing-now some of the NGO and various quangos staffers might have to go out and work like everyone else..as opposed to inventing ficticious panics and cherry picking various Medical studies to shore up their argument,
    The Church of Antismoking has been dealt a severe blow,

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/libert...mokers-a-break

I heard about that one a little while ago and it put a HUGE smile on my face.

I'm half Dutch, so it made me quite proud too

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
    I heard about that one a little while ago and it put a HUGE smile on my face.

I'm half Dutch, so it made me quite proud too
    Bet it did!