Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hugeonreddit
  • 1 Post By Vaporific

Thread: NSW bans smoking in National Parks - does anybody know if this affects Vaping

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

NSW bans smoking in National Parks - does anybody know if this affects Vaping

Just saw on Facebook today NSW has banned smoking in all national parks across the state. While I do understand urgent response is needed for the brushfire situation, Despite not having smoked for more than two years (but vaped ever since) I can't help thinking that even banning smoking has gone way too far. It seems I am not alone in this opinion. Reading a lot of the comments on the 7 today show and NSW national parks Facebook page, most of the comments are against these smoking bans and for the first time I've seen ever - a huge amount of non smokers supporting supporting smokers rights.

Personally I do believe they need to stop fires from cigarette buts but get tough on the people who actually drop a cigarette butt, not put it out properly or throw it out the the car window. And as for these irresponsible ones who they need to be targeting for this, do they really think for a minute that if they can't follow a simple request like disposing of their cigarette butt properly that they are going to get them to walk all the way back to their car and drive for miles outside of the national park boundary to have a smoke? There lot of smokers who use national parks that actually carry a portable ashtray or old drink bottle half full of water to put their cigarette buts in - and likely to pick up a cigarette but left behind by an irresponsible smoker. Do they not want these people visiting the national park at all. And this rule also applies to campgrounds where people spend days so a lot more people smoking inside tents instead of out in the open where they can be seen - great way to reduce fire risk.

Strangely I haven't found a thing about vaping in any of these articles - One would hope they are not planing on including vaping in these bans. It's not Queensland and I haven't found anything about NSW considering vaping as smoking in their smoking laws. This is one example of how the Queensland law could get absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone know more about this could you please fill us in.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by VaperJ View Post
    There lot of smokers who use national parks that actually carry a portable ashtray or old drink bottle half full of water to put their cigarette buts in - and likely to pick up a cigarette but left behind by an irresponsible smoker. Do they not want these people visiting the national park at all. And this rule also applies to campgrounds where people spend days so a lot more people smoking inside tents instead of out in the open where they can be seen - great way to reduce fire risk.

Anyone know more about this could you please fill us in.
    "The Royal Commission into the Victorian Bushfires pointed to cigarette butts as one of the likely causes of bushfire risk and we also have the problem of litter in some of the state's most beautiful and vulnerable areas," Smoking banned in NSW national parks as crews contain Blue Mountains fire - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

There are regulations I disagree with but I find it hard to have a problem with this one sorry. The potential risk of one idiot's carelessness can and potentially has led to massive destruction of life & property. If public vaping is restricted in the same way as smoking is in national parks, then that's a little stupid, but it's on the fringes of the problems facing vapers. Ultimately it is up to the discretion of rangers whether they will book you for vaping.
    CCVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    Wow. I gotta' say that I feel for the responsible smokers.

I am not only an ex smoker, but was smoking when I took time lapse animations like below.

Royal National Park - Selection

Kuringai Chase National Park

But then, I can only recall seeing a Parks Ranger on about one or two occasions over the many days I was lurking around the parks, for many hours at a time, in order to capture the images needed for the animations.

I always took the approach that not only would I not litter in the parks, I would try to leave no evidence at all of my being in a place where (possibly at a time when) I was not allowed to be (see e.g. below). For cigarettes, that meant using a tobacco tin as a portable, sealable ash tray.

E.G.

1. There are guard rails that suggest "Do not cross". I crossed them to get to some of the locations from which those pictures were snapped.
    2. Most national parks ban entry between dusk and dawn, but I needed to be there to photograph dawns and dusks. I'd try to arrive more than an hour before dawn, leaving plenty of time for traveling to the vantage point in the park at around 20 KPH - the night in National Parks is very thick with animals on the road.
    Last edited by Vaporific; 18-11-14 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added details on 'low impact approach'
    hugeonreddit likes this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in