Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ACT public discussion on e-cigs reg. - have your say

ACT public discussion on e-cigs reg. - have your say

Just found this not very publicized ACT discussion on e-cig regs. At least it somehow slipped by me. I suggest you read it and than do the survey on the bottom or send them email (polite one :-). It's a government thing so that's where it will go. Probably better than some petitions that no one reads.

Health Directorate - Personal vaporisers (e-cigarettes)
    01101001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110110 01100001 01110000 01101001 01101110 01100111

AVF Regular
    Is it just me or does this paragraph contradict itself.....

"Personal vaporisers that contain nicotine cannot be sold legally in the ACT. There are currently no restrictions on the sale of nicotine containing devices that do not make a therapeutic claim."

the above is from this page....

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ACTHe...onalVaporisers

AVF Regular
    They listed their objectives;

• non-smokers, including young people, are not encouraged to experiment with or use personal vaporisers
    • former smokers are not encouraged to take up use of personal vaporisers
    • the public use of personal vaporisers does not contribute to the renormalisation of cigarette smoking, and
    • non-smokers are protected from possible harms from exposure to second-hand vapour.

This list has essentially been taken directly from the European Public Health Association's September Press Release, written by Professor Martin McKee.

At first glance, it seems very Anti-vaping. The simple answer to achieving these objectives would be for them to place a strict prohibition on all vaping products, and treat them essentially like any other illicit drug. That would be insane, but it could possibly be in their target.

Anyone responding to this survey should be supportive of the above objectives because in and of themselves, they are quite reasonable. But in achieving these objectives, the ability of Australian smokers and current vapers to get access to vaping products including liquid nicotine through imports should not be affected.

If these are the concerns, then they it's something I think the industry and user-community can work with.

Here's a summary of the main talking points:

non-smokers, including young people, are not encouraged to experiment with or use personal vaporisers

Dont allow ads that glamorise vaping as the new hip thing to do. But that's not to say that vaping advertisement should be banned.

former smokers are not encouraged to take up use of personal vaporisers

Dont allow ads that send the message that it's ok to come back to inhaling nicotine. e.g of word use: Enjoy your vape is ok. Enjoy a vape is not ok.

In other words, keep the ads directed at current smokers and vapers only.

the public use of personal vaporisers does not contribute to the renormalisation of cigarette smoking

Dont vape where you cant smoke, unless the private owner of the commercial property has designated an inside well ventilated vaping area, which has clear signs so that non-smokers know they are entering an area where they may inhale nicotine

non-smokers are protected from possible harms from exposure to second-hand vapour

same as previous

tl:dr

The objectives are reasonable, as long as the means by which they achieve those objectives do not hinder smokers and current vaper's ability to access and know about vaping products that are on the market.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 24-11-14 at 09:09 PM.

AVF Regular
    Perfectly good advertising example that is directed solely at smokers and vapers:

Another one would be; "if you're going to inhale nicotine, switch to a safer way".

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 24-11-14 at 09:33 PM.

AVF Regular
    I started the questionnaire, but stopped as it seems utter BS. The Daubeites and the Chapmanites that are in control confuse their (sometimes justifiably) anti-capitalist sentiments (via the big tobacco dual-use conspiracy argument amongst others) with actual concern for current and future people's health always seeing smokers as hopeless victims of a kind of big tobacco mind control instead of people that actually enjoy smoking, but would actually like to take control of the harm their habit potentially will do to them by using harm reduction strategies.

The smoker actually taking control outside of these victim based parameters just does not compute with them.
    JenJ likes this.

im not the sharpest tool in the shed or the dumbest, but that survey was really hard to understand.

Wow that survey is shocking! Whoever created it really didn't think about it a lot. I understand that surveys have to be created in a certain way to allow automatic quantifying of replies, but this is just...i really should complete it, but i don't agree with any of the options in the questions.

Addy

Yes it is rather unusual questionnaire. The normal way would be YES or NO answers and simple direct questions so no one can get it wrong.
    01101001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110110 01100001 01110000 01101001 01101110 01100111

AVF Regular
    I just did it and got through to the end. Difficult though it was. I tried to get my point across about the questions that were obviously bias by explaining further on. As you go along it gives you lots of room to write what you want.

I feel good that I persisted with it but ultimately feel it was probably a waste of time. But I suppose if you say to yourself, what's the point and don't do it, all you can expect is that your voice will not be heard at all and their preconceived agenda will get through without any reasonable voices at all.
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy View Post
    Wow that survey is shocking! Whoever created it really didn't think about it a lot. I understand that surveys have to be created in a certain way to allow automatic quantifying of replies, but this is just...i really should complete it, but i don't agree with any of the options in the questions.

Addy
    People who do this stuff for a living/academically would be disgusted.

"So you think we should ban vaping or do you hate puppies?"

A surveymonkey survey is a fairly pathetic attempt for a government to engage with stakeholders; Im only guessing they're doing it because they have to before amendments are tabled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast