Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: chinese-electronic-cigarettes-have-malware-planted-in-the-charger

AVF Regular

chinese-electronic-cigarettes-have-malware-planted-in-the-charger

What will those bastards think of nexts, grrrrr

Chinese Electronic Cigarettes Have Malware Planted in the Charger - Softpedia News for Mobile
    And to safely charge your Battery on your pc, Which I don't think is a good Idea, anyways,SyncStop / USB Condom - Charge Your Mobile Phone Safely
    Jeff

AVF Regular
    Ha yeah, I read about this on the Daily Mail the other day. It's a funny story but there's no proof it actually happened.
    Disabling autorun in windows or applocker should eliminate that risk in windows computers. That Syncstop thing looks really cool, and jst $10. cheapcheap! Kind of a bulky nuisance tho.

AVF Regular
    Probably still on XP. Vista and up has autoplay disabled. Meaning the sync stop thing is fairly useless

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Disabling auto run is no defence. The device can enumerate as a keyboard then send keystrokes to run the malware.
    Lopez likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm sorry, but this is bS.
    Look at yet another article on this E-Cigarettes From China Spreading Malware Through USB Charger
    And another one
    E-cigarettes could infect your computer with a virus - Mirror Online
    Again
    Could your computer catch a virus from your e-cigarette? | Daily Mail Online

Only source is some anonymous guy claiming to be in IT on reddit. This isn't journalism, it's blogging fiction.
    I think the moral conclusion the original author gave to avoid cheap $5 ecigs on ebay is poor logic as a more expensive product could just as easily have malware on it & a consumer with a higher disposable income is also more likely to be a more attractive target for identity theft.
    Pleski, Sponky and Northerner like this.

Not the first time major outlets have covered total bs to put a bad light on a product.

Remember when the Xbox Kinect came out? "This camera can see you showering" and shit like that - all thanks to Reddit.

AVF Regular
    don't be too quick to dismiss this.
    USB key loggers are easily available and don't need much memory.
    It is definitely possible to do this.
    Whether someone has, debatable.
    Another good reason not to use your PC USB ports for charging.
    The only thing that gets charged on mine is my phone, and that's only cause I want to Sync it anyway
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    The only defense for non system software (malware) is to have executables barred from running anywhere on the system other than program folders and windows folders... I did this on my work network using group policy.

There is a free application recently released (for those not savvy enough to use group policy) that will do exactly the same thing.

https://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

Very, very effective defense... more so than any antivirus/antimalware application. (edit: well having the hard core rules of group policy is anyhow)
    Last edited by Northerner; 25-11-14 at 02:34 PM.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    That said, I'm highly dubious of the existence of a device that can install a virtual keyboard from an autorun blocked USB port and install malware from there without user interaction. Seems unlikely, to say the least.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm more worried about the amount of cookies any of these online newspapers feel they need to feed into my computer to sell me ads & track my browsing habits than I am of malware from USB chargers.
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast