Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: NSW: Opposition calls for inquiry into e-cigarettes

NSW: Opposition calls for inquiry into e-cigarettes

From Fairfax

tl;dr

Labor's health spokesman Walt Secord accused the Baird government of being slow to act, as other states and territories moved to regulate the devices.
    "At the very least, the rules and regulations that apply to cigarettes in NSW should apply to e-cigarettes," he said.

Health Minister Jillian Skinner should call for public submissions

British American Tobacco says:
    the company was urging state and federal governments to introduce harmonised laws to allow the sale of devices using nicotine.
    Australian smokers should have access to them, but they should be strongly regulated and are not appropriate for under-18s

Cancer Council Australia says:
    all states should adopt the Queensland laws
    Even non-nicotine vapours, including the fruit flavours marketed to children, were posing a health risk.
    There has to be a blanket ban on access to children because they are sucked straight into their lungs.
    Smoke-free zones are an issue because employers are now saying people are 'vaping' in enclosed spaces.
    Claims that e-cigarettes with nicotine could be used to quit smoking should be viewed with extreme caution, because there was evidence from countries such as Poland that they led to significant increases in youth smoking.
    A lot of public exposure given to these two again...
    Full article here: Opposition calls for inquiry into e-cigarettes

Still not at the Dutch level though

AVF Regular
    The Hon. Jillian Gell SKINNER, MP, North Shore Electorate <-- her contact page, I guess everyone should tell her our stories on how its helped us and how much healthier we are and maybe invite her to a vapemeet.
    Jeff
    vapz likes this.

AVF Regular
    Anyone got a link to the Poland study ?

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I think it's the one that Glantz trotts out all the time but the conclusion has been debunked by all the pro vaping usual suspects.

http://www.jahonline.org/article/S10...310-3/abstract

https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/significant...cco-cigarettes
    Altered1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    They rabbit on about the possible gateway effect while at the same time printing these two contradictory statements;

The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's latest survey of household drug use has found one in seven smokers had used e-cigarettes in the past 12 months, with the biggest uptake among 18 to 24-year-olds (27 per cent). A third (32 per cent) of young men in this age group are using e-cigarettes.
    The AIHW survey of 24,000 people found daily smoking had fallen from 15 per cent to 12.8 per cent.
    So if smoking rates have fallen so dramatically, while e-cigarette use has increased so dramatically, why the freak out about urgent needs to restrict or ban?

Wouldn't you want to encourage something that is so blatantly not leading to increased smoking, and quite possible leading to a more rapid decrease in smoking than we've ever seen before in all the years of their ridiculous tobacco control tactics?

"A roundtable of toxicology, tobacco control and air pollution experts was convened by the NSW Chief Health Officer to review existing evidence about the public health issues associated with e-cigarettes."
    And in reviewing a large and growing amount of evidence they pull the obscure Polish study out of their arse to justify restrictions, while quoting local statistics that suggest the complete opposite and leaving out all the other studies that also suggest the complete opposite of the gateway effect.

And lastly, BAT caring about child uptake? Puleeeese!

AVF Regular
    For those that are interested, this is the AIHW survey report they refer to I think. Section 3 is all about tobacco...

http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/Down...id=60129549848

The table referred to (3.10) has to be downloaded else where. You will find it below if you can be bothered. It basically shows use by age and sex...

http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-d...29549469&tab=3
    Last edited by Davi; 30-11-14 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added the table details

AVF Regular
    Well that's a chirpy and colourful cover page.

AVF Regular
    I'm going to call in and see Carmel Tebbutt.
    Is there a short report I can print out to give to her, with the facts about vaping?
    Skoville likes this.

Super Moderator
    And Now that Daniel Andrews is Premier in Vic , dont expect vaping to be popular here either .... this is the same man I met in 2009 ( as he was then the current Health Minister orchestrating the federal reclassification)to discuss the blanket banning of nic sales overnight with , who gave me Quit pamphlets and told me that's all I need to give up smoking ... #Yaythemonkeysarenowinfullcontrolofthezoo!

Oh but hes a supporter for medical cannabis
    That should make the parents happy !
    Nicotine is dangerous,smoking is ok tho , but here take this cannabiniod tincture to ease your cancer pain ....
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/in...-cannabis.html
    Last edited by Fatman; 30-11-14 at 02:43 PM.
    gtadmin likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast