Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By Pleski
  • 1 Post By Pleski

Thread: Chappy & the Beckstar publish book on plain packaging...

AVF Regular

Chappy & the Beckstar publish book on plain packaging...

Pride doesn't allow me to directly link his book here but if you want to have a look, Snowdon links it in this blog.

Velvet Glove, Iron Fist: The timeless metaphor of Simon Chapman

From Snowdon's blog.....

"The timeless metaphor of Simon Chapman

The Australian sociologist and imbecile Simon Chapman released his book about plain packaging last week. It's called Removing the Emperor's Clothes. Chapman seems to have missed the whole point about the emperor's clothes which is that he didn't have any and, therefore, they couldn't be removed. What, then, has the story of the emperor's new clothes got to do with the plain packaging saga? One is about a vain and gullible leader being talked into doing something foolish by some professional confidence tricksters and the other is a fairytale by Hans Christan Andersen (thank you, I'm here all week).

I haven't read Chapman's book and I probably never will, but I did download it (it's free) because I wanted to see if he'd libelled me (he hasn't) and because I wanted to see if he was still a tedious self-plagiarist."
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I read the bit titled "do plain packs work?"

The answer is apparently "it's all very complex, only clever people could understand".
    davee likes this.

AVF Regular

Deluded man

Chappo actually tweeted today vapers in Australia are so few it's had no effect on smoking rates;

https://twitter.com/SimonChapman6/st...29982820511746

This was while he was claiming the decline in cigarette sales is due his great plain packaging movement.
    Davi likes this.

AVF Regular
    thing is people are going to believe him. its not the massive tax hikes at all jeez

AVF Regular
    Tax hikes definitely had an effect. It stands to reason that some people can no longer afford to buy smokes.

As to whether contraband is being missed in the count, that's likely. The consumption is higher than we know.