Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Skoville
  • 5 Post By Davi
  • 3 Post By Pleski
  • 1 Post By Omnipotus
  • 1 Post By tugboatofdeath
  • 2 Post By JenJ

Thread: Intersting article - Where Simon makes a concession!!

AVF Regular

Intersting article - Where Simon makes a concession!!

Controversy over e-cigarettes and 'vaping' heats up | The Saturday Paper
    Worth a read - more balanced than many I have read....

This made me laugh out loud:
    “Due to many methodological problems, severe conflicts of interest, the relatively few and often small studies, the inconsistencies and contradictions in results, and the lack of long-term follow-up, no firm conclusions can be drawn on the safety of e-cigarettes. However, they can hardly be considered harmless.”
    So we cant trust the data to say they are harmful or harmless, so they are harmful.

End the debate - he has solved it for all of us.
    Pleski and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    I think this is the most disturbing statement in the article.

"Professor Simon Chapman, professor of public health at the University of Sydney and long-time tobacco control activist, says the e-cigarette issue has split the health profession into two camps: those who focus on the benefits of e-cigarettes at an individual level in helping a smoker quit and those, such as himself, who are looking at the issue at population level."

Us vapers are just filthy smokers that deserve to die from our disgusting habit and pay handsomely along the way for the privilege. Smokers make up about 15% of the population and those 15% have parents, siblings and children. Ultimately smoking tobacco affects the whole population. Why are we, the 15% and our families and loved ones not considered important enough on a "population level"?

My children have never smoked and probably never will but the fact that their mother no longer smokes (but vapes) benefits them just as much as it benefits me.

I'm ropeable with his total disregard for my family and the fact that he openly states his opposition to my only salvation from smoking tobacco on "population level" grounds.
    Pleski, Fatman, JenJ and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I think when Chappy says two camps, he means
    camp 1) the smokers and ex-smokers who are taking command of their own health supported by genuine scientists
    camp 2) Chappo's vigilantes who will sacrifice anything and anyone to bring down big tobacco, and who are desperate to save their own careers from soon-to-be redundancy
    camp 3) big business protecting big profits (the third camp is the one no wants to mention, lest they cut off the drip feed). It may be an invisible hand, but it still casts a long shadow.
    Fatman, JenJ and Skoville like this.

First rule of thumb to any contentious issue is follow the money. As we all know, there is massive amounts of money in the entire tobacco, smoking, cessation, pharmaceuticals, research, advocacy, taxation, lobbying, etc.

Due to the vast sums of money involved, you can follow any one of these lines and arrive at a very mirky end.

Vaping and vapers are a very insignificant number when measured against all of these.

As I have said many times, what is needed is a very media savvy and articulate spokeperson for vapors. If we had a voice that could counter the negative arguments, falsely represented research and outright lies, we would be in a far better position.
    disley likes this.

AVF Regular
    I don't believe such a person exists. Nobody is very media savvy in this age of free and viral information, not even the people who own and run the media. Last I heard even Murdoch is bleeding money.

Sure BP can splash big money into syndicated carbon copy scare stories, but I like to think the public is pretty clued to the game nowadays. People only believe that stuff because they want to believe it.

AVF Regular
    The guy plays good cop/bad cop best/worst scenario in the media all the time and he's right now trotting out his smoker's license crap again and believes that e-cigs should only be sold in chemists. not to be trusted.
    Pleski likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    I don't believe such a person exists. Nobody is very media savvy in this age of free and viral information, not even the people who own and run the media. Last I heard even Murdoch is bleeding money.

Sure BP can splash big money into syndicated carbon copy scare stories, but I like to think the public is pretty clued to the game nowadays. People only believe that stuff because they want to believe it.
    I think in general smokers are more clued up than most. We've had so much crap shoved down our throat for so long we are highly suspicious of whatever those who pretend to care about our best interests say now.
    tugboatofdeath and Pleski like this.