Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Three Melbourne unis confirm vaping works for smoking cessation and reduction

AVF Regular

Three Melbourne unis confirm vaping works for smoking cessation and reduction

Another big win for Australian vapers, released a few days ago:

- Meta-analyses included 1,242 participants on whom complete smoking cessation data was available.
    - Of these, 224 (18%) reported smoking cessation after using nicotine-enriched e-cigarettes for a minimum period of six months...
    - Nicotine filled e-cigarettes were more effective in achieving cessation compared to those without nicotine.
    - Use of e-cigarettes was also effective in reducing smokers’ daily cigarette consumption.

And published on the American Heart Association's website to boot.

Abstract 14945: Electronic Cigarettes Are Effective for Smoking Cessation: Evidence From a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
    Last edited by Pleski; 07-12-14 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Couch posting, hopeless
    jen, Omnipotus, Vaporific and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Only 18%, I thought it would have been more. Mind you 18% is probably more than the gum & patch wearers.

Pity these stories never get the same airtime as the negative ones.
    vapz likes this.

rodbam, there is also the laziness factor. I have seen people give up smoking through vaping, enjoy the experience and the cost savings, then after about 6 months, revert back to smoking, as, to them, it was a lot less hassle to simply buy a pack of smokes and light up.

AVF Regular
    very nice. definitely smoking less here with my halo g6.. i don't know why i got these in the first place... they do help, but desire for cigs are still there. Should've bought isticks :,( but at least halo made me believe ecigs do the job in quitting. any recommendations on where to buy cheap isticks? i'm a poor uni student

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Only 18%, I thought it would have been more. Mind you 18% is probably more than the gum & patch wearers.
    I'm not sure the rest of the people who were trying to quit were actually using e-cigarettes. They may have attempted with other techniques.

They just say "published studies investigating the effectiveness of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation among current smokers were included" ie they checked out a whole lot of cessation techniques and 18% of the successful people were using ecigs. Hence the actual success with the ecigs is probably much higher.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Pleski; 07-12-14 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Sp
    Altered1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    It is a bit strange because the overall quit rates seem to be quite high.
    7,551 participants. Meta-analyses included 1,242 participants on whom complete smoking cessation data was available.

That's 16.44% overall. I've never seen quit rates that high and if true, some would say that 18% for ecigs and 16% for all other methods doesn't make ecigs the miracle we think they are.

AVF Regular
    To me "cessation data" doesn't imply they actually all quit. They had 1,242 people they were able to follow for the six month period. Of those 18% at least were successful, and they were using ecigs. The rest, we don't actually know what they were doing, and whether it worked. We don't even know if they were interested in perma-quitting.

Unfortunately the Heart Association's summary is crappily written, even with formatting error. It's almost like they couldn't be bothered writing it properly. I'm a bit surprised they even put it up.
    Last edited by Pleski; 07-12-14 at 07:26 PM.
    btobw and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    Conclusions: In conclusion, available literature suggests that the use of e-cigarettes may be an effective alternate smoking cessation method. Further research is required to investigate this among both genders.
    Always further research is required.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gusah193 View Post
    very nice. definitely smoking less here with my halo g6.. i don't know why i got these in the first place... they do help, but desire for cigs are still there. Should've bought isticks :,( but at least halo made me believe ecigs do the job in quitting. any recommendations on where to buy cheap isticks? i'm a poor uni student
    As it happens you are lucky enough to live in a country with the most progressive and effective tobacco harm reduction and control policy in the world! Your local GP will set you up with an Aspire Mini Nautilus + iStick and 50ml of nicotine e-liquid in the flavour of your choice - completely free of charge to help you get off the tobacco!! After all, you've already paid for it hundreds of times over with your punitive cigarette taxes! It's really the least we could do for you now!

Oh wait, no, sorry, we live in an authoritarian prohibitionist ideology-driven nanny state that requires you to die with a cigarette in your mouth. My bad.
    Fatman, Altered1, akef38 and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast