Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Call to legalise e-cigarettes - The West Australia -

AVF Regular

Call to legalise e-cigarettes - The West Australia -

"Potentially dangerous e-cigarettes should be legalised and regulated under national laws to prevent the uncontrolled importing of the devices through online purchases, a Perth law academic says.

In research to be published in the Journal of Law and Medicine today, Notre Dame school of law lecturer Marilyn Krawitz says the current approach is leading to poor quality imported e-cigarettes and depriving the Federal Government of revenue that would be generated if the devices were made and sold in Australia.

Dr Krawitz argues that legalising the sale of the devices will have benefits for health, safety, protecting young people and government revenue.

Nationally, it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes that contain nicotine. WA is one of three States where it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes.

A WA Supreme Court test case after an appeal by the Health Department led to a ruling that e-cigarettes being sold by a Duncraig company that did not contain nicotine were still in breach of tobacco laws because they were designed to look like a real cigarette.

In her paper, Dr Krawitz said the reality was many Australians were importing e-cigarettes that were illegal to sell in Australia and were using them personally or selling them on the black market.

She said while devices that contained nicotine could have negative effects on health, e-cigarettes were less damaging because they did not contain the tar and other toxins in real cigarettes. There had also been research that found smokers who used the devices were more likely to quit traditional cigarettes or smoke less.

WA Health Minister Kim Hames said there was no evidence to suggest e-cigarettes were an effective tool for those wanting to quit smoking."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...-e-cigarettes/

EDIT 20/12/14: Here is the full paper. Definitely worth a read.

FINAL - E-Cigarettes - JLM - Dec 2014_Krawitz.pdf
    Last edited by Davi; 20-12-14 at 01:03 PM.

AVF Regular
    This woman is not our friend. I get shocked by this bizarre world we live in more and more often these days. Apparently it's perfectly acceptable these days to say about any old consumer driven product that it can and should be used to generate 'government revenue'.

Cuz we haven't generated enough revenue for the government yet? Just butt out you freaks, ffs.

AVF Regular
    See..........., if this gets legal in this country we will be paying through the nose for it, start stockpiling people, for the inevitable i would say !
    Humbleroller likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    See..........., if this gets legal in this country we will be paying through the nose for it, start stockpiling people, for the inevitable i would say !
    What............ You haven't already
    JWH, Cath Mort and 308hjute like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I should be ok......
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    This woman is not our friend. I get shocked by this bizarre world we live in more and more often these days. Apparently it's perfectly acceptable these days to say about any old consumer driven product that it can and should be used to generate 'government revenue'.

Cuz we haven't generated enough revenue for the government yet? Just butt out you freaks, ffs.
    Oh yes. I see the day coming when a happy, innocent person is vaping away, just pleased to be off the smokes, when a passing copper gets a whiff - "Hey, that smells like blueberry pie! ON THE GROUND! HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK! YOU ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR USING AN ILLEGAL NON-GOVERNMENT APPROVED FLAVOUR, SCUMBAG!! YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!" <judicious use of taser>

Ahh, the world we are letting these idiots make for us.

AVF Regular
    I sent her an email asking for her complete report that is being published cause I couldn't find it on the web. She said the publishing is being delayed until next week and once published she can send it to me. I'll update when I have it.

Will be interesting to see if she is recommending just GST or sin taxes similar to tabacco. I know I'm probably being naive in suggesting just GST but oh well, benefit of the doubt and all that stuff..

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    It will so world wide a phenomenon, I think no matter how the ivory tower mob look at it, it will cost them more in the long run, e-cig has already proven itself to be harmless, that to legislate it, it will go underground and they don't want that to happen either.
    But we cannot just sit back either and be a door mat for the legal,medical, big tobacco and political orgy
    that's about to happen, over the all mighty $$$ and our freedom from the chains of cigarette addiction.
    I don't think now nicotine was ever as addictive as they made it out to be, but that's my opinion.

I was in the shopping center today for 2 hours, which is a all time record for me, and not once did I feel the urge to rush out cos I was "dying for a ciggy".
    And did not have to rush things to vape either.
    The extra 50.00 I spent on other things than cigs was money well spent.

I think K-mart would appreciate that extra $50.00 going in their till than the cig shop ???!!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vapz View Post
    I think K-mart would appreciate that extra $50.00 going in their till than the cig shop ???!!
    K-mart will, but $40 of the $50 you didn't spend at the cig shop would have gone straight to the government, while they will only get ($5 GST + ($45-$costs)*25%)=$8 from your k-mart spending. Treasury recommends you keep smoking and shut up.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thats strange you say that ,i was at a major centre here in adelaide and i went out for a couple of draws on the ecig and that was it no more as you say craving to get to the smoking area for a fag even though the crowds were horrid ,

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast