AVF Regular

Air pollution /Ciigarettes, which one is the culprit.

Sorry to touch on such a depressing subject at the festive time of the year, but for those interested,just some links,

Idly scanning a hate filled rant against Smokers by David Penbarthy, I was interested in one of the comments on his article by someone Country Smoker who made some interesting comments about Air Pollution

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegr...thal_medicine/

His comments reminded me of an article I read recently which concerned some studies on Lung Cancer and Pollution, wich revealed some interesting facts about the effect of air Pollution on lung health.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...sa7cl9IHTzzmLg
    Last edited by gert; 17-12-11 at 01:53 PM.

Even before I started Smokescreen I had my suspicisions (sp?) on this sort of thing, but it sounds all "conspiracy theory".

It doesn't surprise me one little bit.

A very fit man died recently. Ran a few times a week. He died of cancer. His lungs were black from car pollution. Had never smoked a cigarette in his life. As city slickers we are acclimatized to the fumes and smell and do not relies how much damage it does to our lungs

AVF Regular
    Interesting Gert,
    When I started my nursing 40 years ago we had to do a survey on all admissions to the hospital. This was a public teaching hospital. We were told it was for research and the survey went on for 6 months.
    We had to put in the survey if they were smokers, how much they smoked, how long they had smoked but the interesting thing was we had to put which cities/countries they had lived in. Also what occupations they had and where they had worked.
    I remember this cause one guy had lived in Chicago and he said there was a lot of pollution from exhausts over there.
    I can't remember who was doing the survey.
    This is the first time I have thought of it. I thought my memory was bad!

Saw a TV programme recently - Selling Houses Australia I think - and the camera shot showed the house backing onto a major W/Sydney freeway with tons of traffic and visible over the fence from the highway was a council sign saying "No Smoking - Children's Playground". I hope the traffic fumes know how to read!!

I remember the last time I was stuck in the m5 tunnel the exhaust fumes were almost overwhelming. I had to put my windows up and re circulate the air Inside the car to stop coughing.

My wife and I had our Honeymoon in America and did a flight and tour of the Grand Canyon. Having already spent 10 days in LA, and 2 days in Vegas at that point, the difference in air quality even at the heliport was simply amazing.

Jen commented that she almost felt a little "high" the air seemed so clean!

AVF Regular
    Too true-
    we are all noticing the air now i think.
    Since I left the cigs and started vaping I have had a return to lung health and no longer get bronchiitis and flus that would put me down for weeks, and I can smell and taste again-anyhow started to say had a week at the beach recently and the air was so clean and pure it really was like wine, waking up in the morning with pure fresh air in your lungs I had forgotten that -
    came back to the burbs where my House is on a busy road, the first day I was back all I could smell was deisel and kerosene - hadn't noticed before..
    thinking seriously about putting my house on the market and moving, now that I'm aware of the smog that Ive been living with.
    (perhaps we should all move to the coast)

AVF Regular
    Cement dust is classified by the IARC as a type 1 carcinogen (known to cause cancer) IARC is international agency on research for cancer. It will be interesting to see the statistics on silicosis and lung cancer in the future. I have seen so many men in the building trade cutting and grinding cement breathing in the dust and not wearing any personal protective gear. I did my diploma in OH&S ( occupational health and safety ) and did quite a bit of research on a big concrete company. Asbestosis is in the news a lot but not so much silicosis (YET)

Fact sheet silicosis http://www.workershealth.com.au/facts060.html

"The most common form of silicosis develops after long exposure to relatively low concentrations. Once the disease has begun, it will continue to progress even if the worker is removed from further exposure. There is no medical treatment for silicosis. People with silicosis are also at greater risk of developing lung cancer. In 1996 the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified crystalline silica dust as a human carcinogen (Group 1). "

AVF Regular
    Margy, try and get Men to take care and wear masks ect and safety gear in general- they just laugh it off,
    tradework takes a toll and many people are out of their trade early because of injuries gradually accumulated while they are in their twenties..
    yes silicosis is bad, odd that we dont hear anything about it-