Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By Pleski

Thread: Debunking the Gateway theory

AVF Regular

Debunking the Gateway theory

This study is said to be the first one that asks the right questions about the "gateway" to tobacco smoking.

Michael Siegel's blog about it....
    The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: New Study Refutes Claim that Electronic Cigarettes are a Gateway to Smoking

"Of the 1,304 students, only 3 reported having first tried electronic cigarettes and currently being a smoker."

The study....
    http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0...555-8/fulltext

"Conclusions
    Hookah and ETPs are increasingly becoming the first tobacco product ever tried by youth; however, uptake of ETPs is poor, unlike cigarettes and SLT, and does not appear to lead to significant daily/non-daily use of cigarettes and SLT."

Note: ETPs = dissolvables, snus, and electronic cigarettes
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    Davi likes this.

AVF Regular
    Jacob most certainly helped bolster the arguments that e-cigarettes are a far better alternative to the dirty old darts.

I hope the government does not keep pandering to those trying to ban e-cigs. The government is only hurting their own people by denying them access to healthier alternatives.

AVF Regular
    I was happy to see my android google news app actually picked up Jacob Sullum's piece.

I'd previously stopped looking at the app, and complained on google market, because it was just a barrage of anti vaping PR articles. Perhaps things are turning around for the better.