• 2 Post By Davi
  • 1 Post By JenJ
  • 2 Post By pgscott
  • 1 Post By Davi

Thread: Dependence levels in users of Ecigs, nic gums and tobacco cigs

AVF Regular

Dependence levels in users of Ecigs, nic gums and tobacco cigs

"Conclusions
    Some e-cigarette users were dependent on nicotine-containing e-cigarettes, but these products were less addictive than tobacco cigarettes. E-cigarettes may be as or less addictive than nicotine gums, which themselves are not very addictive."

http://www.drugandalcoholdependence....986-3/fulltext
    jen and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    A guy I know gave up the smokes 4 years ago. He's been munching on the gum ever since. Not very addictive! but for him, he has replaced his cigarette habit with a gum habit.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I know one too. She's been on gum for about 12 years. I rarely see her but when I do, she always bots smokes from me claiming she hasn't one since the last time she saw me.

I'm seeing her Christmas Eve. She'll be surprised that I don't smoke. I wonder if she'll try and bot a vape. Maybe I should bring some spares!

AVF Regular
    A friend of mine took up pipe smoking because he thinks it's more socially acceptable than cigarettes. I asked him what he does when he's not at home, without all his pipe smoking gear. He said he doesn't smoke of course. I asked him whether he misses it when he's out. He said 'of course'.

AVF Regular
    My old boss swapped smokes for nicotine lozenges and was addicted to them for about 3 years. Recently she somehow ran out of lozenges and was going to jump in the car to get some more when the friend she was with said to try one of her peppermints instead.
    So she did, and has just continued on with peppermints instead of nic lozenges.

She said she had no withdrawals or any issues at all and wished she had thought of it earlier.
    Davi likes this.

My old boss swapped smokes for nicotine lozenges and was addicted to them for about 3 years. Recently she somehow ran out of lozenges and was going to jump in the car to get some more when the friend she was with said to try one of her peppermints instead.
    So she did, and has just continued on with peppermints instead of nic lozenges.

She said she had no withdrawals or any issues at all and wished she had thought of it earlier.
    I was listening to Robert West at the ecig conference in England. Somebody asked him about nicotine addiction. He replied along the lines that he thought nicotine addiction was a very complex problem that involved both the psychological as well as physical aspect. He made the point that nobody much was addicted to nicotine patches.

I wanted to reply, that no addiction was not complicated at all - if you deliver nicotine in a boring and bland way it is not addictive, deliver it in a way that is enjoyable and satisfying and it becomes addictive. Your story of the lozenges fits this very well - your friend was addicted to the lozenge not the nic, hence when given a different lozenge she had no problem in stopping.

Putting things this way however, brings up all kinds of questions as to the question of nicotine and whether it is particular addictive at all. Not to mention the whole question of addiction itself. As much as I like Robert West, it seems to me as his career and work is dependent on their being a problem of addiction he is unlikely to seriously question its basis.
    Last edited by pgscott; 23-12-14 at 09:38 PM.
    JenJ and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    As you and I have speculated before Jen, it's the dummy effect?

In saying that though, I think there are definitely people addicted/dependent/thoroughly enjoy nicotine and I am one of them.
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    The word "addiction" is much abused, but last year I accidentally switched some no-nic juice for my usual juice, vaped that for about a week, and was going nuts before I realised what I'd done.

If anyone's been to a non-alcohol country and started getting an intense craving for a glass of wine/beer after while, I'd put it in that ballpark, but with a shorter fuse. It's not addiction, but it's not a whim either.

Hi,
    I also smoke over 3 years & I was addicted to smoke cigarette but One day someone suggest me to use E-cigarette to quite smoking & I started to take e-cigarette & saw this is very helpful for quieting smoking. Thanks for this post to suggest e-cigarette. Finally I quite smoking & for that I am very happy now.