Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Health Department offers hypnotherapy, acupuncture cash to help staff quit smoking

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Health Department offers hypnotherapy, acupuncture cash to help staff quit smoking

just came accross this
    Health Department offers hypnotherapy, acupuncture cash to help staff quit smoking

AVF Regular
    The department spokeswoman said .. the department regularly reviewed the list of activities that were approved under the policy, and each application was individually assessed on its merits.
    If anyone from that department uses the "we don't know/no studies" anti-vaping diatribe, we should get a staff member to put forward an "e-cig" proposal for the list and force them to "assess (as in study and report) it on its merits".

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    The article link doesn't work.
    Acupuncture has been shown to be no more effective than a placebo.
    It's ridiculous also how homeopaths, acupuncturists and other so called alternative medicine practitioners can sell their services as "quit smoking" therapies but e-cigarettes and PVs are prohibited from making that claim.
    Last edited by hugeonreddit; 09-01-15 at 10:31 AM.
    Pleski and Bobthebuilder like this.

AVF Regular
    How did they get an acupuncture placebo? Just pretend really convincingly to stick someone with needles?

AVF Regular
    they actually have come up with some clever ways of doing that to get close to a double blind. basically it's a needle in a tube. in some the needle goes into the skin like normal; in others the needle actually retracts but applies enough pressure that it feels (to both the subject and the applier) that it has gone into the skin. Don't have links for this as it was something I read a while back.
    Pleski and Fawks like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nanokatz View Post
    they actually have come up with some clever ways of doing that to get close to a double blind. basically it's a needle in a tube. in some the needle goes into the skin like normal; in others the needle actually retracts but applies enough pressure that it feels (to both the subject and the applier) that it has gone into the skin. Don't have links for this as it was something I read a while back.
    They could also stick the needle in any old place. As far as I'm aware there are specific places on the body that relate to smoking/addiction where the needles have to be placed.

AVF Regular
    I know a couple of people that quit through hypnotherapy.

AVF Regular
    Their argument against ecigs is that they resemble/glamorise smoking/vaping and promote nicotine addiction, while hypnotherapy and acupuncture are in line with their total abstinence stance.

Also ecigs introduce new chemicals into the body, less harmful ones maybe, but still something other than air is being inhaled and we don't fully know the implications of that yet.

My personal view is that adults should be allowed to choose what they put in their body. It's not the business of government to interfere with that. As an adult I can assess the risks myself and choose harm reduction over abstinence if that works for me...no one else's business but my own.
    CMB and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    I know a couple of people that quit through hypnotherapy.
    I know several more that it didn't work for, including myself. I think it probably works for people who would have been able to quit using a number of different methods.

There are those for whom nothing works and vaping as a harm reduction option is a godsend.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    They could also stick the needle in any old place. As far as I'm aware there are specific places on the body that relate to smoking/addiction where the needles have to be placed.
    Ah yes they also do that but I forgot about it. Acupuncture is generally based on the idea the needles have to go in very specific places so they just stick them anywhere to see if that makes a difference. Shockingly it doesn't.
    Also i don't think it does better than placebo when the controls are good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast