Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By vapz
  • 1 Post By vapz
  • 1 Post By vapz

Thread: My E-Cig Scrap Book Thread

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

My E-Cig Scrap Book Thread

THIS IS SIMPLY A CUT AND PAST SCRAP BOOK THREAD OF THINGS FOUND.
    IT MIGHT BE OUTDATED, IT DON'T MATTER.

FIRST CAB OFF THE RANK IS THIS ARTICLE I FOUND DATED 2013

IT'S INTERESTING HOW THE MEDIA TRIED TO PAINT SMOKERS AS "ADDICTS" AND "LEPPERS OF SOCIETY"
    YET WE WHO VAPE THE E-CIG COME FROM MANY WALKS OF LIFE, IT SEEMS THE NICOTINE CESSATION DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE WHERE ONE IS AT IN WORLD.
    WE ARE NOT "ADDICTS" AS PERCIEVED BY MEDIA AND "CONCERNED SHAKING-AT-THE-KNEES MEMBERS OF SOCIETY"
    I though it be a good idea to copy and past, just in case scrap book items and things become "lost" in cyber-space.

----------------------------------------------------------------

No smoke without fire
    No smoke without fire
    Date
    October 25, 2013
    Julia May
    Electronic cigarettes are only slowly being taken up by local nicotine addicts, due to a regulatory minefield, and scant - and fiercely contested - evidence about their potential health effects.

The website is enticing, evoking a golden age of Marlboro Men and Virginia Slim girls. ''We're about the adventure of living. We're the end of compromise and the beginning of being alive.'' Veppo, the US-based electronic cigarette and cigar company with this slick website, also ships to Australia, reassuring the ''People of Oz'' that it's legal to do so.
    Veppo is just one of many overseas companies supplying Australian nicotine e-cigarette users, or ''vapers'' (the electronic inhalers generally simulate tobacco smoking by releasing a cloud of vapour), with the batteries, heating elements, liquid nicotine and flavours that they need. These companies are picking up trade where Australian companies can't because while it's legal for individuals to import nicotine e-cigarettes from overseas, it's illegal to sell them in Australia.
    Worldwide sales of e-cigarettes are approaching $US2 billion this year and are forecast to top $10 billion by 2017, according to Wells Fargo & Co. While there are no national statistics on the local e-cigarette market or take up, it's clear that Australian uptake of vaping has been comparatively low.
    Between 1-2 per cent of Victoria's 650,000 smokers have tried it, according to the Victorian Smoking and Health survey. But the e-cigarette users that Fairfax Media spoke to, via the 5500-strong Aussie Vapers web forum, are passionate advocates. Most say they tried e-cigarettes to kick conventional cigarettes after failing with other methods, and vaping has enabled them to quit tobacco once and for all. They are adamant e-cigarettes pose fewer health risks than cigarettes, providing many examples of health improvements since quitting cigarettes and taking up vaping.

They question why, from a public health perspective, e-cigarettes should not be freely available just as cigarettes are - not to mention nicotine patches, inhalers and other cessation aids.
    Public enemy number one for the vaping community is Simon Chapman, professor of public health at Sydney University and a prominent tobacco control activist. He believes if nicotine e-cigarettes were to become freely available, smoking, which has become socially unappealing, would become ''renormalised'', undoing all the good work done on its reduction. His concern lies particularly with young people - to whom vaping, with its colourful paraphernalia and tasty flavours, has been shown to appeal. Fiona Sharkie, executive director for Quit Victoria, shares Chapman's anxieties.
    t's legal for Australian retailers in some states to sell e-cigarette flavours (''e-juice'', which comes in small, attractive vials). But they can't contain nicotine, only flavours, which range from spices and fruit to cocktails and desserts. On Wednesday, however, the NSW department of health issued a safety warning, saying that 70 per cent of samples tested contained ''high levels'' of nicotine, suggesting there is an active black market in Australia. If ingested, these could be lethal. NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant warned that ''children may find the contents of the liquids enticing'', and that there had been reports of harm to children ingesting the liquid in Australia and a death reported overseas.
    One vaper, Mary Gordon, says: ''The fact that there is a black market [in Australia] at all just proves that many people would prefer to buy locally from tobacconists and market stalls and not go online to import it from overseas, which is legal but requires a lot of information gathering.''
    Another vaper, ''Marty'', says it's very hard to buy quality nicotine liquids in Australia, which is why many vapers buy in bulk from overseas. He keeps his in a padlocked refrigerator in a locked room. ''I have taught the children in my family to stay away from my [e-cigarettes] and bottles, and even at a very young age of two, they were able to comprehend that my vaping products were 'yucky medicine','' he says. ''However, I still worry about this all the time.'' It is outrageous, he says, that the Australian government does not allow stable, quality nicotine e-cigarettes to be sold here. ''I am having to choose between my health and the safety of [my] children.''
    The government, some researchers and anti-smoking advocates agree there is not enough proof e-cigarettes are safe long-term and an effective cessation tool. A spokesman for the federal Department of Health says: ''The impact of wide-scale use of these devices on tobacco use generally is not known, and the outcome on the community could be harmful.'' He says the Therapeutic Goods Administration has not evaluated them as safe nor effective, and e-cigarette manufacturers have not provided evidence they are.
    The research that is available is counter-interpreted by those on both sides of the vaping fence; indeed the conclusions of one of the most cited pieces of research, a survey of 6000 cigarette smokers in the US, UK, Canada and Australia, are interpreted differently by Chapman and Konstantinos Farsalinos, a research fellow at the Onassis Cardiac Centre, Athens.
    Farsalinos says: ''Every e-cigarette opponent is falsely using this study to make the misleading conclusion that e-cigarettes did not help in quitting. The study did not evaluate the effectiveness of e-cigarettes in smoking cessation because it was not designed for that,'' he said. But he quotes the conclusion in the study's abstract that ''[e-cigarettes] may have the potential to serve as a cessation aid''. Chapman, however, points to the text of the paper, which says that ''only 11 per cent of current [e-cigarette] users reported having quit'' over a given period. ''The legendary perils of only reading the abstract,'' he says.
    Farsalinos revealed to Fairfax Media this week the preliminary - and as yet not peer-reviewed - results of the largest global survey of vapers. His online survey, of 19,500 e-cigarette users who were motivated to quit, was designed to study the characteristics, patterns of use, reported benefits and side-effects of e-cigarettes, not cessation rates, but it did find that a staggering 81 per cent had quit tobacco altogether - with the median time since the last cigarette being seven months. The remaining 19 per cent reported reducing their tobacco consumption from 20 cigarettes per day to a median four. Farsalinos openly admits the study was funded by an e-cigarette advocacy group, with contributions from manufacturers. He says the cessation results cannot be extrapolated to the broader community, because it was self-selecting rather than randomised. But he argues: ''[Saying] e-cigarettes are ineffective is a denial of reality. Hundreds of thousands of smokers or more, from all over the world, have quit smoking with the use of e-cigarettes.''
    Chapman says studying people who have quit tobacco using e-cigarettes needs to be done using controlled - randomised - cohorts rather than self-selecting groups. He also questioned how respondents were recruited: ''If through vaping blogs, this is like surveying people who belong to whisky on-line discussion groups and pretending that they are representative of everyone who has a bottle of Scotch in their drinks cabinet.''
    Quit doesn't count someone as having stopped smoking until they have ceased for a year. Sharkie points to a New Zealand study that found vaping was only marginally more helpful - at 7 per cent - than nicotine patches in helping people to quit.
    She worries about the lack of evidence about long-term effects of the chemical interaction of nicotine and flavoured liquids, recalling the introduction of low-tar ''Light'' and ''Mild'' cigarettes. ''We all thought 'This is going to be safer,' but it turned out not to be safe. We started to see new diseases such as lower lung cancers because people were dragging more heavily,'' she says.
    Chapman is also concerned that vaping enables smokers to get a nicotine hit in places where they can't smoke: ''Most people don't quit; they use both.''
    But these arguments, and many others, are wasted on committed vapers, for whom the proof is in the puffing. As Gordon says, ''Going from e-cigs to cigarettes would be like going from Kool Mints to mothballs.''

----------------------------

Part 2

Vaping is addict's lesser of two evils
    Margie Boyd, from Hobart, started smoking at 17. Forty years later and smoking 35 cigarettes a day, an MRI scan for a broken rib showed up emphysema.
    Boyd, now 60, says, ''I had to stop smoking. I was coughing all the time and having trouble breathing.'' She had tried to quit before, using patches, gum and inhalers without success.
    Boyd imported e-cigarettes and liquid nicotine from the US and bought flavours online in Australia, receiving advice from the AussieVapers forum on mixing her own. She managed to kick cigarettes and has relapsed once, when a family member was hospitalised last year. ''I picked up three cigarettes, had them and thought ''Yuck. This is ridiculous.'' She hasn't smoked since.
    Three years after starting vaping, though still on emphysema medication, Boyd's breathing has improved - no wheezing, coughing or ventolin inhaler. She concedes a lack of information exists on vaping risks, but believes cigarettes are more dangerous.
    ''You know you're not getting the tar and the 4000 chemicals. You might be getting trace amounts of carcinogens [in vaping], we don't know yet. But I'd much rather take the risk and vape than smoke again.''
    (Tests on two e-cigarette brands by the US Food and Drug Administration found detectable carcinogens and toxic chemicals in e-cigarettes, but other studies found them to be at lower levels than cigarettes.)
    Boyd and another forum member have met independent MP Andrew Wilkie, to discuss vaping and users' concerns about its regulation . She said he ''saw the ridiculousness in something being legal to consume but not legal to sell''. Boyd believes vaping has given her longer to live. ''I just hope I live long enough to see results of all the vaping research.''

------------------------------
    Robray likes this.

This link no longer works, if anyone knows where to find the article it be appreciated.

Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes | The Mercury

Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes
    The Mercury | Latest Hobart and Tasmania News | Mercury
    THE Cancer Council has vowed to turn up the heat on the use of electronic vapour cigarettes because ...

Although I have much respect for anything to do with cancer research, ( having family and friends suffered various forms of cancer, and many are or were non smokers, I still believe they ought to try to understand that I am feeling a lot better now due to E-Cigs.

Last night, a friend of mine was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from lung and breathing issues, and is also in a bad way mentally due to Champix.
    Although this friend has not tried E-Cigs yet, has witnessed that I do, there is a denial factor that some may need to break through, takes time for some.

Can the Cancer council with all due respect provide an alternative to sufferers with breathing issues, Champix issues,
    all caused by tobacco cigs ?
    This person is not very well, and is now smoking more, the addiction to cigs is a very powerfull thing to contend with.

E-Cigs on the other hand, from my experience broke that cycle, and I was there to make sure my friend is taken care of while recovering in hospital today.

So go ahead Cancer Council, go ban the E-Cig, you will lose my respect, support and donations.
    Last edited by vapz; 11-01-15 at 10:43 AM.

Another one for my scrap book.
    They don't "get it", it's no longer a E-Cig, it has nothing to do with CIGs, it's a vape, E-Vapor, or simply vaping.
    I'e hi-lited some sections cos it sounds OK.
    Smoking is America's most important, and preventable, public health problem:
    Bullshit,, not with all the added chemicals to make it so addictive, why arn't the "officials" blasting those facts?

Chief among that "anything else" are e-cigarettes, loved by users--because they do help you quit--but almost unanimously hated by officialdom.
    That should have said unanimously loved by users-
    coordinated and baseless attacks on e-cigarettes
    Oh, so it's co-ordinated, too many spy movies, what do they get paid to do, become robots ?
    Why on earth should the American Lung Association be against e-cigs? Not surprisingly, it's all about the dollars.
    hahahahahaaa, yes, the dollarios

HealthNewsDigest.com
    (HealthNewsDigest.com) - According to Dr. Gilbert Ross, Medical and Executive Director, American Council on Science and Health...Smoking is America's most important, and preventable, public health problem: It is estimated that almost a half-million of us will succumb prematurely to smoking's deadly effects each year, with twenty-times that number sickened. Among our 43 million smokers, over half try to quit each year, yet less than one in twenty succeed. The FDA approved products--patches, gums, and drugs--help "boost" that to about one in ten, an abysmal "success" rate of 10 percent. Yet, the official line, from the FDA and the CDC on down, is "stick with the FDA-approved methods; don't even try anything else!"

Chief among that "anything else" are e-cigarettes, loved by users--because they do help you quit--but almost unanimously hated by officialdom. Dr. Ross has been in the forefront of those criticizing the coordinated and baseless attacks on e-cigarettes for years, and fortunately he is not alone. Other good guys include Bill Godshall, Brad Rodu, Michael Siegel, Carl Phillips, and Clive Bates. However, there are powerful forces against e-cigarettes, including the proverbial strange bedfellows.

Clearly, Big Tobacco has been against e-cigarettes from the get-go, alarmed by decreasing cigarette sales, compared to skyrocketing e-cigarette sales. Some cigarette manufacturers have even ventured into the e-cig business themselves. Big Pharma also lines up against e-cigs, with its gums, patches, and lozenges; not to mention nicotine receptor partial agonist drugs such as Chantix. Ross notes the miserable track record of these pharmaceutical products, and is too polite to ask if people would take any other pharmaceutical with such a poor success rate. Chantix is also known for bizarre side effects, and carries the dreaded black box warning against serious neuropsychiatric events.

As to the strange bedfellows, e-cig opponents include many public health departments, disease trade associations, and a host of smoking cessation groups. Why on earth should the American Lung Association be against e-cigs? Not surprisingly, it's all about the dollars. ALA derives a substantial amount of its funding from Big Pharma, as do the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, and a goodly number of stop-smoking groups. Likewise, many state public health departments are addicted to tobacco taxes.

Another factor in play involves the splitting of the historic anti-smoking movement into two factions: The harm-reductionists and the prohibitionists. This split occurred in the wake of successful efforts to keep cigarettes out of the hands of kids. Some zealots saw an opportunity to eventually ban cigarettes--and tobacco products altogether. In 2009, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act was passed, which gives the FDA the power to regulate the tobacco industry, but built in many protections for the industry, including grandfathering of virtually all affected tobacco products, and a very small number of e-cig products.

The government maintains a dissociative identity disorder with Big Tobacco, whereby they condemn it, and also love the tax revenue. Their innate bias toward regulation also clouds their judgment. Which brings us to what is quite possibly the most mendacious publication on e-cigs ever proffered by a public health organization. I refer to a pamphlet entitled Protect Your Family From e-Cigarettes--The Facts You Need To Know. To say that this leaflet from the California Department of Public Health has enraged professionals across a wide variety of disciplines, is a gross understatement.

The front cover features a large image of the hand of a child--no older than two--holding an e-cig, with a bottle of the e-liquid in the near background. The obvious implication is that an e-cig user is putting his family at risk, in that little kids could ingest the chemicals. Never mind that dozens, if not hundreds of similar scenarios exist within any household, and it is up to the parent to keep these materials out of their hands.

Under the section "Why Are They Dangerous," we are told that e-cigs contain chemicals that can cause cancer, birth defects, and other health problems. In a vague sense, this might be true, but since the dose makes the poison, this is errant nonsense, and irresponsible fear-mongering. Hold onto your hat for the real whoppers.

"e-cigs are just as addictive as regular cigarettes"--There is no data to support this, and it is based on the simplistic notion that since both products contain nicotine, they must both be equally as addictive. Even if it were true, the real harm in cigarettes is from the smoke, not the nicotine, and e-cigs have no smoke. Besides, the Big Pharma cessation products touted in the pamphlet also contain nicotine. D'oh!

"People can become addicted to nicotine from using e-cigs, and then may start using regular cigarettes." When this big lie was first uttered by a Federal official, a challenge was issued for him to name one single case of this occurring. He could not.

And then, the pamphlet holds that e-cigs do not help people quit smoking, which is an outrageous lie. If they didn't work, then Big Pharma and Big Tobacco would not be so worried about them, would they? A corresponding falsehood is the contention that prescription meds are "very effective" at helping people quit.

So, it has come to this. A public health agency in our largest state is pursuing a course that will discourage its own citizens from using an effective means to stop smoking, while enriching itself on tobacco tax revenue, and being cheered on by mindless zealots. Why, it's almost as if they really didn't care about the people they have been hired to serve.

Michael D. Shaw

Exec VP
    Kaoself likes this.

AVF Regular
    I can't believe champix (chantix) is still legal. A good friend of mine took it twelve years ago. He must have had some previously undiagnosed mental illness. After taking it for about two weeks, during which time he became stranger and stranger he somehow lost contact with reality and grabbed a knife from the kitchen stating the he had to kill the kids to protect them his wife struggled with him and cut her throat (thank God the knife wasn't too sharp). He then took off into the bush. His wife somehow managed to struggle out the front of their house and got help. The police picked him up and despite her pleading they did not supervise him at the watch house and he hanged himself. Two kids without a dad, a wife without a husband and parents without their son. Champix is legal but ecigs aren't go figure.

An update for my friend that is now back to normality from the Champix issue.

The disease is not the patient, the disease is greedy big parma

April 17, 2014: Pikeville Doctor Admits to Conspiracy to Misbranding Prescription Drugs

"tania" is now recovering, but has lost much due to the hallucinations caused by over-prescribed medications for breathing, ( steroids ), inhalers, and and what not.
    Recovered from Champix, while in hospital and was nearly locked up in a psych ward. If it was for some crack in the system and threat of going public, she may not have been released.
    This person has got breathing issues primarily from cigs, and is smoking today.

Having witnessed all this since December, trying to warn her etc, but by the time Champix kicks in and is in full flight with the fairies, all I could do is wait till the fall came, and it did !
    By that time, what led me to call the ambo, it was the right thing to do, but could have been avoided if the doctor who over-prescribed medications was not in my opinion more interested in commissions than the health of their patient.
    "tania" is no longer seeing this particular doctor, she finally realized from a pile of prescriptions, ( that I had to hide, at least 10 re-use prescriptions, valium, steroids and some prescription only pain reliefs ) the doctor was not interested in her health as much as was first thought.

She will now try E-cig as her recovery and general well being improves.

BTW, this doctor will be reported for what it's worth, what will come of it is up to the powers that be.

Further research on big pharma, there is more that meets the eye on "legal prescription medications and commissions" at national and international levels.

April 17, 2014: Pikeville Doctor Admits to Conspiracy to Misbranding Prescription Drugs
    nicoandlaughter likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vapz View Post
    An update for my friend that is now back to normality from the Champix issue.

"tania" is now recovering, but has lost much due to the hallucinations caused by over-prescribed medications for breathing, ( steroids ), inhalers, and and what not.
    Recovered from Champix, while in hospital and was nearly locked up in a psych ward. If it was for some crack in the system and threat of going public, she may not have been released.
    This person has got breathing issues primarily from cigs, and is smoking today.

Having witnessed all this since December, trying to warn her etc, but by the time Champix kicks in and is in full flight with the fairies, all I could do is wait till the fall came, and it did !
    By that time, what led me to call the ambo, it was the right thing to do, but could have been avoided if the doctor who over-prescribed medications was not in my opinion more interested in commissions than the health of their patient.
    "tania" is no longer seeing this particular doctor, she finally realized from a pile of prescriptions, ( that I had to hide, at least 10 re-use prescriptions, valium, steroids and some prescription only pain reliefs ) the doctor was not interested in her health as much as was first thought.

She will now try E-cig as her recovery and general well being improves.

BTW, this doctor will be reported for what it's worth, what will come of it is up to the powers that be.

Further research on big pharma, there is more that meets the eye on "legal prescription medications and commissions" at national and international levels.

I'm glad your friend is recovering even though it sounds like its going to be hard.