Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Should you use e-cigarettes? SMH Interview

AVF Regular

Should you use e-cigarettes? SMH Interview

This is really interesting. I haven't seen it before. It is an interview by a 30 year plus self confessed nicotine addict (Michael Short) and a Cancer Council Vic Rep (Kylie Lindorff) on the Zone.

IMO Michael Short appears to support ecigs but does waver at times. He does ask many of the right questions and Kylie's responses are typical and some would say, an understanding about PH/TC's desire to control rather than assist smokers to stop.

Some of you will say TL;DR.

Should you use e-cigarettes published Nov 2014

http://www.smh.com.au/national/shoul...30-11wamq.html
    itslilox and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    I got the vague impression that the interviewer was against vaping but was chosen as 'more plausible' since they were both a smoker and nicotine lozenge user.

I sure didn't like the bit were he chimed in to extoll the virtues of the lozenges. It made me think 'Dude, seriously, have you even tried an e-cig?' The way I figure it, if someone thought the lozenges were good, they'd absolutely love vaping.

Most of the rest of his questions seemed a well laid intro. to her evangelizing.

Maybe I'm just getting/always was too cynical.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    I got the vague impression that the interviewer was against vaping but was chosen as 'more plausible' since they were both a smoker and nicotine lozenge user.

I sure didn't like the bit were he chimed in to extoll the virtues of the lozenges. It made me think 'Dude, seriously, have you even tried an e-cig?' The way I figure it, if someone thought the lozenges were good, they'd absolutely love vaping.

Most of the rest of his questions seemed a well laid intro. to her evangelizing.

Maybe I'm just getting/always was too cynical.
    You are probably right. I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, ie. had he extolled the virtues of ecigs too much she would have shut down. Oh well, I can be naive at times.

AVF Regular
    Bobthebuilder and Burdy like this.

AVF Regular
    Something I find confusing; they banged on a couple of times about how youth smoking is the lowest it's ever been and how awesome they are because Australia has been so successful in reducing the uptake of smokes in teenagers.

But I have an 18 year old and most of my friends have kids the same age. Most of them smoke.

So either I'm living in some kind of weird bubble of smoking youth, or someone's diddling the figures?
    Bobthebuilder and itslilox like this.

AVF Regular
    Just asked one of my daughters Jen and she said it depended on the group. She has a few groups of friends high school/boyfriend/uni etc. Some she said 8/10, some 2/10, some none. So I said if you had 100 friends how many smoke and she said 20ish out of 100. Half of then though only socially (weekend).
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    errrm i've heard there's been a 36% increase in teen smoking in the past few years.

AVF Regular
    I'm getting tired of the "we dont know what is in them" stance. I know precisely what's in my juice.
    Pleski likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Something I find confusing; they banged on a couple of times about how youth smoking is the lowest it's ever been and how awesome they are because Australia has been so successful in reducing the uptake of smokes in teenagers.

But I have an 18 year old and most of my friends have kids the same age. Most of them smoke.

So either I'm living in some kind of weird bubble of smoking youth, or someone's diddling the figures?
    Clearly, your lot is in the sample they discarded because it didn't fit their agenda
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post
    Just asked one of my daughters Jen and she said it depended on the group. She has a few groups of friends high school/boyfriend/uni etc. Some she said 8/10, some 2/10, some none. So I said if you had 100 friends how many smoke and she said 20ish out of 100. Half of then though only socially (weekend).
    I was thinking it depended on the type of group too. Just asked my son and he had a few interesting things to say;

-More of them smoked when they were between 14-16
    -The vast majority who do smoke only do it at parties, clubs and concerts, but not on a daily basis
    -In his gamer nerd group none of them smoke
    -In the party group about 60% smoke but mostly socially
    -Only a very small percentage smoke daily
    -At high school the poorer kids who didn't do well at school almost ALL smoked
    -He estimated about 15% of all kids his age smoke on a daily basis
    -But about 60% smoke socially or just at parties, etc

He went to a government high school, but quite a prestigious one in a wealthy area. Most of his cousins and their friends went to private schools. So these are not kids from low socio-economic environments. Presumably the figures would be much higher there.

So overall he agreed with your daughter's estimate of roughly 20%, still quite a bit higher than the 12.8% tobacco control are telling us.

I think kids smoke differently and for different reasons than we did at the same age. They all know that smoking is bad in the long term, they aren't really interested in a daily habit, but still think it's pretty cool in a social setting. Far fewer seem to be falling prey to a daily habit. Probably couldn't afford to anyway and I would say this is the main reason, NOT plain packaging, for not enthusiastically taking up smoking the way we did.
    Last edited by JenJ; 12-01-15 at 09:13 PM.
    tugboatofdeath and Davi like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast