Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes

AVF Regular

Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes

“the Government would continue to keep a close watch on emerging evidence regarding the use of e-cigarettes.”

"Cancer Council Tasmania chief Penny Egan said the council would press the Government to address the issue."

"Mrs Egan said the products also undermined the anti-smoking message with teenagers, because it “normalised smoking”."

Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes

Local vaping shop response in the comments.
    ---

AVF Regular
    They didn't post my comment.
    Although I did call Penny Egan a liar, and said she has no idea what she was talking about, and produced no facts to back up her ridiculous statements.
    itslilox, merexy, LimeB and 1 others like this.

I just found this recently, I live in Tasmania and it looks like the cancer council want to start banning the sale of e-cigs across the country after the legislation released in QLD.
    Cancer Council ups pressure for ban on electronic cigarettes | The Mercury
    Last edited by itslilox; 12-01-15 at 03:33 PM.

AVF Regular
    I just posted a response to that one itslilox - I doubt they'll publish it though....

"Another unsurprising, inaccurate, and scare mongering slant from the MSM regarding something they haven't bothered to fully research. It's much easier to get readers with sensationalism than facts though, isn't it?"
    Bobthebuilder and itslilox like this.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by itslilox View Post
    ... it looks like the cancer council want to start banning the sale of e-cigs across the country after the legislation released in QLD.
    That's the way it works, pressure the powers that be in one state until they change their legislation and then use that state as an example for the next one, and so on. Each state seems to accept without question that the previous one did their due diligence and based their changes on fact, when this is often far from the case.
    ---

Thanks Timm4h & Imho, it seems like an unfair legislation. Generally if someone was to be prosecuted they will have to be based on facts and evidence. How can you prosecute a serial killer without any evidence or facts. You cannot say, lets put him to jail just because we don't know yet. How long does it actually take to get all the facts straight, it's been years since e-cigarettes were introduced to the public and it's fishy because there is evidence out there, but because it's not "BAD" evidence they are just going to tell everyone a lie. Nicotine supply is banned in Australia and the majority of the ingredients in e-liquid is relatively safe for human consumption. If they are worried about it being detrimental if being swollowed then maybe they should attack bleach. Bleach is a household products, generally left on the floor with a child safety cap like most e-liquid bottles and its BLEACH!. go and ban bleach if you are so concerned for kids

AVF Regular
    How bizarre it is that CC are undertaking the mission they are with e-cigs, when this is their vision and mission as stated on their website;

As Australia's peak national non-government cancer control1 organisation, Cancer Council Australia advises the Australian Government and other bodies on practices and policies to help prevent, detect and treat cancer. We also advocate for the rights of cancer patients for best treatment and supportive care.

Our vision

Minimise the threat of cancer to Australians, through successful prevention, best treatment and support.

Our mission

Lead a cohesive approach to reduce the impact of cancer.

Cancer Council Australia works with its members the eight state and territory cancer organisations to:
    •undertake and fund cancer research
    •prevent and control cancer
    •provide information and support for people affected by cancer.

Cancer Council Australia was formerly called the Australian Cancer Society.
    itslilox, disley and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    I wonder when CC is going to push the govt to ban sunbaking
    and alcohol
    and cigarettes
    and junkfood

I mean seriously, do you not atleast stick with your mission statement enough to attack the known causes of cancer before you embark on the unknown ones?

AVF Regular
    Mrs Egan also jumps on the old bandwagon with her statement "There is no evidence at this stage that e-cigarettes are safe", which maybe true but by simple deduction the opposite is also true. As you say, apparently e-cigarettes are guilty until proven innocent. More important are the implications of vaping relative to smoking.
    Bobthebuilder and Timm4h like this.
    ---

I got cross.

Posted the following comment to their web site (Mercury).

Will be interesting to see if they publish it.

---------------------Comment-----------------------------
    I'd urge anyone with an interest in this subject to review this study by The University of East London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KBGH2F63A

The kneejerk reactions by The Cancer Council to my mind represent a troubling degree of uninformed prejudice and bigotry. This isn't the kind of approach I would have expected from an organisation targeting improvement in Public Health, and is deeply worying.

The bulk of evidence I've seen is that e-cigarettes are an important tool to stop people smoking cigarettes - which has the potential to save millions of lives.

If the Cancer Council is promoting something other than hot air, I'd be interested to see some empirical studies quoted in support of their assertions.

"“There is no evidence at this stage that e-cigarettes are safe". Same could be said for almost anything. If the CC are serious, perhaps they might like to try and find out (there's been a lot of independent study done already).
    itslilox, disley and Imho like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast