Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By Vapetoomuch
  • 1 Post By Altered1

Thread: New Scientist: Raise a toast to drugs that could replace alcohol

AVF Regular

New Scientist: Raise a toast to drugs that could replace alcohol

I was reading Raise a toast to drugs that could replace alcohol in New Scientist. It was not suggesting that e-cigs could replace alcohol (fortunately) but did have this to say about vaping..

.. Not coincidentally, January is also traditionally the time of year that smokers try to quit. Doubtless many are relying on a safer substitute either as a crutch or a permanent replacement e-cigarettes.

The parallels between the two products are not entirely coincidental: the success of e-cigarettes as a smoking substitute has shown advocates of alcohol replacements that even the most deeply ingrained habits can be altered.

But there are some big differences. Vaping delivers nicotine the largely harmless drug that people crave while eliminating most of the dangerous chemicals that arise as a by-product of burning tobacco. The act of vaping also closely mimics smoking and allows nicotine addicts to puff away, circumventing indoor bans and other restrictions on their habit.

When it comes to alcohol, the drug itself is the hazard. ...
    Have to disagree though, with..

..the success of e-cigarettes as a smoking substitute has shown advocates of alcohol replacements that even the most deeply ingrained habits can be altered.

Huh? I've not given up the buzz of nicotine, nor the act of drawing cloudy substances into my lungs. For me, the reason vaping is successful is that it so closely mimics actual smoking in all the aspects I care about. Effectively my habits are unchanged, it is just the form of indulgence that is different..

Also:

The act of vaping also closely mimics smoking and allows nicotine addicts to puff away, ..
    You'd think the writers for NS would be aware of the multitudes of animal tests that never managed to get a single test subject addicted to nicotine...
    avtek and Davi like this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    You'd think the writers for NS would be aware of the multitudes of animal tests that never managed to get a single test subject addicted to nicotine...
    They never managed to get test subjects addicted to nicotine by itself. As former smokers, however, we became addicted to nicotine, and as vapers we probably still are, at least to some extent, largely due to the fact we subjected ourselves to the combination of other chemicals in tobacco smoke that increase the addictive properties of nicotine.

On another line from the article, I'd like to point out that vaping does not "circumvent" indoor bans. If you're vaping, you're not smoking, so you're not circumventing any smoking laws.
    Last edited by Vapetoomuch; 17-01-15 at 12:05 AM. Reason: fixed quoted text for accuracy
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, monkeys and chimps who who get their hands on cigarettes get addicted.

Now in QLD vaping is smoking, legally... no getting around anything there.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    On another line from the article, I'd like to point out that vaping does not "circumvent" indoor bans. If you're vaping, you're not smoking, so you're not circumventing any smoking laws.
    Except in QLD

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Yes, that seems to be the way it's going, with vaping defined as smoking. In America, many of the states are doing this just so they can charge tobacco taxes on e-liquid.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Never let reality get in the way of a restrictive law

kind of like the petition banning Dihydrogen monoxide - 100% of people exposed to Dihydrogen monoxide will die! idiots will sign anything is it sounds scary
    jeno1200 likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Super Moderator
    And it unfortunately directly kills 290 people per annum (according to the MJA), 12% of which are under the age of 5.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet