Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AVF Regular

E-cigs especially helpful to smokers with history of recurring relapses

This was an interesting read on ECF An article by Biomed Central and published on 20 December 2011

"Conclusions: This is the first time that objective measures of smoking cessation are reported for
    smokers who quit successfully after using an E-cigarette. This was accomplished in smokers who
    repeatedly failed in previous attempts with professional smoking cessation assistance using the usual
    nicotine dependence treatments and smoking cessation counselling."

here is link to ECF and the report

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...-relapses.html

It's great to see a published study, but with a sample size of just 3 you can bet your bum it will be completely ignored by those who need to see it most...

Super Moderator
    The only study that really matters is our own results IMO.

AVF Regular
    'Sif we didnt already know that.....!

It simply makes the process easier for everyone.....
    CO, Vapers Against Government Interference in Nictotine Acquisition - Military Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by juddyau View Post
    The only study that really matters is our own results IMO.
    i disagree.

if people dont publish stuff like this then E cigs are going to be banned pretty soon.. the FDA article and the likes already has the most influnce in governemnt in AU. the government if its hand is forced to make a decision will ban them i belive. its hand is getting close to being forced as they get more popular and common.

to give an example, patients in QLD health care are being banned from using them on facilities (they are being taken from them as contraband i believe, although I don’t have first hand experience of this) . Irony is that patients are allowed to smoke cigarettes in the allocated smoking areas, but from january 1 this will also be banned. I was infromed by a nurse the other day that she received a group email to QLD health staff (in light of the increased use by patients) that E cigs where schedule 8 and are thus illegal.. i argued with her that this was not the case but gave up.. im not sure if the email did have scehdule 8 in its classification or if she had misread the email and was an overzealus health worker.

The general impression that I get from very qualified medical staff who should know better is that e-cigarettes are evil and should be removed from the face of the earth. These are the type of people who will make the final decisions on if they are banned in Australia. I have tried to argue for e-cigarettes with various stake holders and have been shot down very quickly. My and your opinion is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is peer reviewed medical literature.
    Last edited by bubble777; 24-12-11 at 11:56 AM.

AVF Regular
    Bubble than you for posting that! seeing as how im a frequent user of the RBH I will now be most careful-even more than usual-
    The paranoia at Royal Brisbane about smoking is ridiculous as it iis-I didnt know it could get any worse, There havnt ever been smoking areas there to my knowledge, apart from the footpath which is out of their juristriction.
    Great isnt it- extremely stressed out patients and their stressed out relatives forced into immediate smoking cessation.- Oh that will help wont it!
    I had a relative at the Mater recently and the Drs there knew about E Cigs and thought they were a great idea- also they have a Smokers area for patients just outside near the front door. what a different attitude and a much kinder one,
    Sorry you have had such a dismal experience with the rusted on ignorant Nic haters but at least you tried.

I agree with you we need some publicity about eCigs and start dispelling the myths, but in the current climate of hysteria thats almost impossible.
    We're just preaching to the choir here- there is no way to get the message out lacking media support,

Margy-thanks for the link.

we need a copy of that email..
    Aren't emails 'official' .. surely if they are telling lies or half truths, they can be held to account.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

CCC
    I don't tell people i quit smoking i say i replaced it, it's more honest imo.

Super Moderator
    It's the only study that counts for me. we all know smoking is bad and it's legal.. The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I don't tell people i quit smoking i say i replaced it, it's more honest imo.
    Thats what I tell people too, just a healthier, cheaper alternative.. But really when you think about it, you actually did give up smoking, we dont inhale actual smoke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast