Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: NSW Health for tobacco retailers.

NSW Health for tobacco retailers.

As a licenced supplier of tobacco, I received this today from NSW Health :

Dear Retailer
    NSW Health is writing to retailers to warn you about the dangers of selling the liquids used with e-cigarettes, also known as e-juice and e-liquid.
    Following investigations of tobacco retailers across NSW and testing of samples of the liquids sold, it was revealed that some contain high levels of nicotine that, if ingested are potentially lethal. Some liquids contained nicotine, even when they were not labelled as such.
    There have been reports of harm to children ingesting the liquid in Australia. The e-liquid packages often do not accurately detail the ingredients of the liquids and do not have any child resistant closures.
    NSW Health has been receiving reports that some retailers are still continuing to sell e-liquids which contain nicotine.
    Nicotine is a Schedule 7 dangerous poison. The unauthorised possession and sale of nicotine is an offence under the NSW Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008.
    If you have in your possession for sale liquid for use in e-cigarettes that contains nicotine you are exposing yourself to prosecution under the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1966 and the products will be confiscated. NSW Health Inspectors conduct random inspections of retailer premises.
    Enclosed is a fact sheet for retailers on liquid nicotine in electronic cigarettes.
    If you believe that you have nicotine liquid products in stock, you can ring the NSW Pharmaceutical Services General Inquiries Line on (02) 9391 9944 or email pharmserv@doh.health.nsw.gov.au anonymously, for advice on how to safely destroy the liquid.
    Yours sincerely
    Dr Kerry

Facts for Retailers:
    Liquid Nicotine in Electronic Cigarettes
    It is illegal to sell liquid nicotine in NSW without approval from the NSW Ministry of Health. The Ministry has not issued any approvals for the sale of liquid nicotine for use in e-cigarettes.
    Nicotine, other than for approved therapeutic use or in tobacco prepared and packed for smoking, is a Schedule 7 dangerous poison under the national Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (Poisons Standard). This makes nicotine a Schedule 7 dangerous poison in the NSW Poisons List.
    The unauthorised supply or possession of a Schedule 7 poison in any product, including electronic cigarettes and e-liquids, is an offence under regulation 20 of the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008 (NSW). Anyone who sells electronic cigarettes with nicotine or e-liquids containing nicotine without approval from the NSW Ministry of Health may be prosecuted with fines of up to $1100.
    It is important to know that electronic cigarettes often contain nicotine even when they are not labelled as such. It is an offence under regulation 7 of the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008 (NSW) to sell a product containing nicotine which is not labelled and packaged as a Schedule 7 dangerous poison. A Schedule 7 dangerous poison must have the strength and quantity of nicotine clearly written on the main label of the package and the immediate container/s.
    Anyone who sells electronic cigarettes or e-liquids that contain nicotine but are not labelled as such may be prosecuted under both regulation 20 and regulation 7 of the Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008 (NSW).
    All retailers, suppliers and manufacturers are responsible for ensuring all of their products comply with relevant legislation.
    If retailers are unsure if their products contain nicotine, they should consult the supplier or manufacturer of the products for further advice and information to ensure they comply with relevant legislation.
    If you see an electronic cigarette or e-liquid that is labelled as containing nicotine, you can report this to the Pharmaceutical Services at NSW Health: Contact Us - Pharmaceutical Services

It truly IS like living in bizarro world, these days - nothing makes sense anymore - I can cheerfully sell tobacco products and alcohol, but for God's sake don't do anything that may improve people's lives - sigh ......
    Pleski, Fatman, Cath Mort and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Maybe if they allowed the sale of nicotine they'd find that various places would label it instead of trying to hide it.
    Hidden1, Northerner and Roseclipt like this.

So when will they start raiding fruit and vegie shops; they are flagrantly selling a Schedule 7 poison, nicotine, contained in their evil eggplants, potatoes and tomatoes? Destroy them all I say, dump those unauthorised recreational nicotine products into the sea! I will make a report so the authorities can protect the children and we can live in a nicotine free utopia!

AVF Regular
    I don't know what to make of this other than NSW trying to politely say to those selling eliquid with nic in it to stop doing it.
    Fatman, Hidden1 and Roseclipt like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hugeonreddit View Post
    I don't know what to make of this other than NSW trying to politely say to those selling eliquid with nic in it to stop doing it.
    This.
    (we know the rules dont make sense, but they are the rules )
    Fatman, Nakor and Roseclipt like this.

This is quite true - however I think something is afoot, as this is the first time a warning has been sent out to tobacco retailers en masse - which usually means something is about to happen. I note that it is just in time for the further excise price rises on tobacco & alcohol due February 1st - couldn't POSSIBLY be that so many people are switching to the sensible alternative that the tax take is decreasing, and will do so even more after the coming price rise.

AVF Regular
    I want to see the evidence for "There have been reports of harm to children ingesting the liquid in Australia."

Do supermarkets get letters when children ingest laundry detergent, because that happens a lot more.

AVF Regular
    If you think the government want you to stay smoking because it's better for their coffers, you'd be right
    If you think the health departments want you to keep smoking because you pay their wages, you'd be right
    If you thing big pharma is kicking it's own arse for not coming up with ecigs, you'd be right

If the government was serious about reducing smoking, they would be planning for a reduction of income from tobacco taxes. But they're not.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    On a related matter, NSW has just brought out this brochure about the outdoor smoking ban in dining places to take effect in July.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/tobacco...oor-dining.pdf

- Research has shown individuals in typical public outdoor dining areas may be exposed to high levels of second-hand tobacco smoke.
    - In adults, breathing second-hand tobacco smoke can increase the risk of heart disease, lung cancer and other lung diseases.

I don't believe the second point is true, but I certainly disagree that outdoor smoking is a significant risk and certainly doesn't call for this level of action:

- (banned) within 4 metres of a pedestrian entry to or exit from a licensed premises or restaurant
    - in any seated dining area (this includes outside my local pub because they serve light food there)
    - within 4 metres of a seated dining area on licensed premises, restaurant or café
    - within 10 metres of a food fair stall
    - penalties of up to $5,500 may apply to business owners.

Even if we don't smoke, vapers should be fighting this because if NSW does a Queensland with the "ecigs are cigs" rubbish, this will apply to vapers as well.
    Last edited by Pleski; 31-01-15 at 11:26 AM.
    Roseclipt likes this.

AVF Regular
    Question is are they going to spend resources on inspecting tobacco shops stock? Are police going to check your e-cig for nic? Probably not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast