• 1 Post By Pleski
  • 5 Post By Cath Mort
  • 1 Post By itslilox
  • 1 Post By Pleski
  • 2 Post By Cath Mort

Thread: Quite a balanced article on teen vaping in US The Conversation

AVF Regular

Quite a balanced article on teen vaping in US The Conversation

Like to see Chapman writing something like this. Somehow i very much doubt it.

AVF Regular
    Yes, it was a great, and brave article. Especially the last line: "If you have teenagers who already both smoke and vape, encourage that they work to avoid cigarettes completely, and vaping could help them do so."

I bet the puritans are spitting thorns over that one.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great article Tug. It’s refreshing to read something positive for a change.

This article reminded me of something that happened to me recently. A couple months ago I went down to help my daughter get her house ready to put up for sale. When I was there my 6ft tall, 17 year old, Year 12 student, Grandson asked me if we could have a talk. We’re pretty close and we seem to be able to communicate with one another on a special level, which is great, even though I’ve let him have it few times (verbally) when he’s got out of line. He’s a good kid, very respectful, intelligent, etc. but I can easily spot a con job a mile off, he, he.

He gets straight to the point and says “I’ve got something to tell you Nan…… I Smoke” and then looks tentatively at me, waiting for the explosion. I sat calmly, looked at him and went the other way. I just said that I was a bit disappointed as he’s a smart kid and should know better, however, I was smoking when I was his age, but then again, I was working then and paying for my own smokes. Then, I said “So, does this mean that you want me to set you up with some vaping stuff?" He laughed and put his hands up and said “oh, no, no, no, I just wanted you to know."

Move along a couple months and I had a house full of beloved family, including the Grandson, staying with me for 3 weeks at Xmas. He asked if he could smoke outside and I said yes, as I had all the outdoor furniture set up and most of us sat out there anyway a lot of the time.

However, I must say I was starting to get annoyed with my Grandson because he kept having a go with my vape every time I went inside. Not because he thought it was 'cool' as he's seen me vaping for over 2 years, but because he was short of money and his tobacco pouch was running low & he KNOWS vaping works.

I ended up setting him up with his own gear & juice. This did make me think of all this malarkey about youths and the 'gateway to smoking' that e-cigs may cause. Yeah...right.....especially in Australia, with the price of smokes. I'm sure kids would prefer spending $150pw for their smokes rather than the probably $20pw (or less) that vaping costs. For a start, where are the kids supposed to get that sort of money for their habit?? They're still at school, for Pete's sake!! Some may have a lot of money but the majority wouldn't.

Half way through the second week the grandson goes home with his Mum to help her pack as they’re moving house. A week later he rings me and asks if he can come back up for the last week. Sure, I said. I picked him up from the station and he had this big cheesy grin on his face and he proudly told me that he hadn’t had a smoke since he’d left. He’d been vaping the whole week he’d been home and continued to vape for the remaining week up here.

In a perfect world, I would rather he didn’t smoke or vape, for that matter, but I’m hoping that by choosing the lesser of two evils, he may have a better chance of giving up vaping than the ciggies.

Just thought I’d share……………
    Last edited by Cath Mort; 10-02-15 at 02:00 AM.
    Flea, Pleski, itslilox and 2 others like this.

that's such a beautiful story.. Thanks for sharing Cath Mort! That is true, you always want wants best for adolescence but when they grow up they have to make their own decisions and are often curious about trying different things.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath Mort View Post
    In a perfect world, I would rather he didn’t smoke or vape, for that matter, but I’m hoping that by choosing the lesser of two evils, he may have a better chance of giving up vaping than the ciggies.
    That's a great story, and it's the thing which troubles me about our general comfort with banning electronic cigarettes to teens and young adults.

For political expedience politicians waxing puritanical are clamping down without considering the potential of vaping to help young people who are already smoking. The differences are huge, with one being 99% safer than the other. It should be a no brainer.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    That's a great story, and it's the thing which troubles me about our general comfort with banning electronic cigarettes to teens and young adults.

For political expedience politicians waxing puritanical are clamping down without considering the potential of vaping to help young people who are already smoking. The differences are huge, with one being 99% safer than the other. It should be a no brainer.
    I can kind of understand where they're coming from, as we don't want kids who DON'T smoke to start vaping but at the same time I honestly feel that, if it stops them from starting on the smokes, as well as being a lot safer, IMO I think it would be much, much easier to give up their vaping in the future, if they want to, rather than the other insidious 4,000 chemicals in ciggies.
    Vaporific and Davi like this.

AVF Regular
    Totally agree. Kids who would smoke should vape instead. Even disregarding the greatly reduced health impact, the power of the addiction is much less. Is there even any real addiction for never-smokers who vape?? I suspect maybe not.

It's hard to frame this position though, particularly at this point in time when the ANTZ camp are doing their best to demonize vaping with misinformation and lies. Somebody saying "hey, this would be better for the children than smoking", would just be fodder for the retards.

Let's just assume the kids with resources to get cigarettes will also have resources to get vape gear so they don't get hooked on the WTAs + whatnot.

"Hey Mister, can you buy me an eLeaf iStick 30W and a mini-naut. I have nic on the way from the states. I'll also need two five-packs of replacement naut coils at 1.6 ohms. Here's $110, keep the change."