Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: If i do a negative youtube review of a juice vendor, am I liable for defamation ?

Question If i do a negative youtube review of a juice vendor, am I liable for defamation ?

Im just wondering how legally liable i am if I was to make a video that said 'avoid this company' (its a US company)

Do i need to state that its just my opinion or is that not enough ?

I dont want to be sued and I dont want this company to ever be able to make another juice sale again - I'm really adamant about that.
    Deja Vu likes this.

Super Moderator
    If it's kept to an opinion of the juice, and a personal opinion at that, you wouldn't fall foul of the Australian law. However, defamation/libel law is interpreted in some locales as having to meet the law where the opinion is viewed, not from where it was given (if you get my drift).
    Fatman, Tara and Deja Vu like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    keep it objective and factual and there can be no deformation.

only if you were to embellish could it start to be considered defamatory.

telling people to "avoid it at all costs" could be viewed as sour grapes - much better to reframe it as - "i personally would not use this company again"
    Tara and Deja Vu like this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    " Although everybody's tastebuds differ, if you want to know what liquid hot trash tastes like, buy xxxxxx juice"

Lol jk dun do et!
    Polo89 and Deja Vu like this.

would it be rude to ask what juice you are talking about? I find I have enough trouble finding juice I actually like that one less company to buy duds from would be a great help.
    Deja Vu likes this.

J-D
    I would imagine it depends on the explanation as to why they should be avoided. Basically if what you say in the review about how they handle their business is false and damages the business because of it then you are liable i would imagine. I personally would caution any slander unless it had sound ampliative reasoning behind it as opposed to a singular inference. Ie. If you had horrible customer service from them but everyone else has had satisfactory service then its open to interpretation that saying "they have utterly horrible service" is defamatory.

Opinion on how the juice tastes however, is just that so i wouldnt worry about saying you think it tastes like crap.

My 2c
    Deja Vu likes this.
    We do not hate as long as we still attach a lesser value, but only when we attach an equal or a greater value.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbleroller View Post
    I dont want this company to ever be able to make another juice sale again - I'm really adamant about that.
    The fact that you have made this statement in public is enough for a good legal team to make a firm basis as to the fact your "review" was slightly slanted
    A lot of whether you get your arse sued or not comes down to motivation , and did you mean to harm the business.... survey says ..."Yes"
    Altered1, Stewey and vengaman like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    Crisscross, Fatman and Stewey like this.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    In some jurisdictions, it used to be a defence if the opinion was based on fact, fewer now.

For instance [really deleted].
    Fatman likes this.

J-D
    Wait sorry to digress the topic a bit but can someone tell me with absolute certainty that a business can sue for defamation? Pretty sure i vaguely recall a while ago there was a case in australia that set precedent and business' and corporations suing would have to follow some other tort that would make proving defamation harder.

Regardless, the sentiments pretty clear humbleroller take of it what you will
    We do not hate as long as we still attach a lesser value, but only when we attach an equal or a greater value.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast