Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Ecigs causing bacterial infections in the littlest ones!

AVF Regular

Ecigs causing bacterial infections in the littlest ones!

By which I mean mice.

Strange to see something like this in a tech site I regularly read. Worlds colliding:

DailyTech - E-Cigarettes May Increase Risk of Infection More Than Traditional Cigarettes

They reference a recent paper from the "Public Library Of Science" - PLOS
    PLOS ONE: Exposure to Electronic Cigarettes Impairs Pulmonary Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Viral Defenses in a Mouse Model

These findings seem contrary to my personal experience, in which I have had one cold and no chest or other infections since I swapped smoking for vaping in April last year.

But then, I am not a mouse.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and worth mentioning - while the title compares ecigs to analog cigs, the research compares vapour-exposed mice to air-exposed mice.

So high-fives all round for the competence of the editorial staff at DailyTech.
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    Another thread today had the opposite results.
    Mice put in a box and exposed to the flu virus died.
    Mice put in a box and exposed to the flu virus after it had been sprayed with PG, survived.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    By which I mean mice.

Strange to see something like this in a tech site I regularly read. Worlds colliding:

DailyTech - E-Cigarettes May Increase Risk of Infection More Than Traditional Cigarettes

They reference a recent paper from the "Public Library Of Science" - PLOS
    PLOS ONE: Exposure to Electronic Cigarettes Impairs Pulmonary Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Viral Defenses in a Mouse Model

These findings seem contrary to my personal experience, in which I have had one cold and no chest or other infections since I swapped smoking for vaping in April last year.

But then, I am not a mouse.
    Roar like a lion?
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    raaawwwwwr
    gtadmin, Fatman, Altered1 and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    New test found your balls drop off from ecig to when your wife find what youhave spent on supplys.
    Fatman, Big Ev, jeno1200 and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    You can't help but think the media outlets who headlined those articles are on the take, either from big tobacco but likely big pharma.

Even the study authors admitted that ecigs were 99% less toxic than smoking. The journalists mostly reported the quote, usually at the bottom of the articles, yet chose a completely contrary headline. That's not stupidity, it's deliberate and calculated misinformation.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Excellent info from Bernd Meyer Phd (Pharmacology and Toxicology Teacher at Graz University)

"Electronic Cigarettes and Airway Infections – Update"
    Electronic Cigarettes and Airway Infections - Update - Bernd Mayer
    Cath Mort and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    By which I mean mice.

OTOH, PG seemed to have saved these mice!

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

More on the poor mice study:

Tom Pruen, Chief scientific officer for ECITA, has torn into the risibly poor study.

“Sadly, there are two flaws in their methodology that make this result largely meaningless for human exposure. The first of these appears to be intentional: they exposed the mice to the same amount of ecig vapour as they expected an adult to use. This was done by exposing the mice (in a 2 litre chamber) to one, two second, puff every 10 seconds for 90 minutes, twice a day. This greatly exceeds the values derived from user surveys, which gives a spread of 80 to 200 puffs/day, since their experiment protocol works out to 1080 puffs/day.”

“They also exposed the mice, which would have weighed about 40g each, to the same amount of vapour as that used by an adult consumer (of likely 70Kg -80Kg in weight) – a relative increase in exposure of 2000 times. It was also a whole body exposure.”
    Same tactics being used here as were used to frighten people into thinking that second-hand smoke was dangerous.

I Hate These Meeces To Pieces | Planet of the Vapes
    Vaporific likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast