Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Please help me to respond to this propaganda

Please help me to respond to this propaganda

I was slightly perturbed today to read this in one of our local medical bulletins.
    As a vaping GP I feel the need to respond but would appreciate the input of more experienced vapers.
    The last point has me concerned.... is it really illegal to even possess E cigs in Tassie?
    Maybe if we can address each point individually, hopefully with some supporting links.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

e-cigarettes: considerations and recommendations
    Submitted by Dr Adrian Reynolds (Clinical Director, Alcohol and Drug Service) and Nancy Westcott (Nurse Manager,
    Statewide Smoking Cessation Program), DHHS
    There is currently much discussion and debate around electronic cigarettes - devices that often deliver nicotine via aerosol
    vapour instead of combusted tobacco and are designed to simulate the act of smoking. National and international experts
    have compiled summaries of the latest evidence and their recommendations around these products can be accessed at:
    • Cancer Council Position Statement Position statement - Electronic cigarettes - National Cancer Prevention Policy
    • WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (13-18 October 2014)
    http://apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6...COP6_10-en.pdf
    • International Respiratory Societies Position Statement
    http://www.thoracic.org/newsroom/pre...tion-paper.pdf
    Some significant points to note:
    • No e-cigarettes are approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration, so their safety, quality and efficacy are not known.
    • It cannot be said that e-cigarettes are ‘safer’ than conventional cigarettes – testing has revealed wide variations in the
    nature and toxicity of contents and emissions. They may be less risky in some ways but may present new risks that remain
    to be properly identified and quantified.
    • While research continues, they have not been shown to be effective as a cessation aid.
    • They are being used to administer other drugs for recreational purposes with as yet poorly identified and unquantified risks
    and harms.
    • They have unknown short and long term health effects on smokers and bystanders;
    • They pose a risk of severe illness to young children if accidentally ingested.
    • They are likely to undermine attempts to quit smoking, leading to dual use and maintenance of addiction.
    • Their use undermines smoke free policies that protect bystanders and prompt quitting attempts.
    • They have the real potential to ‘renormalise’ the act of smoking, undoing decades of public policy work aimed at reducing
    smoking prevalence.
    • Tobacco companies are investing heavily in these products but not for the purposes of reducing their business into the
    future.
    • E-cigarettes are being aggressively marketed to young people with seductive flavours, colourful imagery, names and
    storylines that tell us they are anything but designed for smoking cessation purposes.
    • Industry claims about ‘harm reduction’ also ring hollow while the industry continues to produce and promote tobacco
    products.
    * There are unanswered questions about which harms e-cigarettes might ‘minimise’ and which new harms might arise or
    increase.
    * We are yet to see a clear and authoritative benefit/risk/harm calculus based on good science.
    • Use amongst youth appears to be increasing rapidly; this should alarm us all.
    • It is an offence to manufacture, obtain, possess, sell or supply nicotine cartridges or nicotine e-cigarettes in Tasmania.

AVF Regular
    There's a great page somewhere that walks through all the normal rubbish such as the above, debunking each piece, but bugger me I can't find it.

Someone will come up with it...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    There's a great page somewhere that walks through all the normal rubbish such as the above, debunking each piece, but bugger me I can't find it.

Someone will come up with it...
    If it is this link it is some 12 months old
    The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 - onVaping

AVF Regular
    That's good, but there's one that just goes through the top 10 or 15 anti e-cig claims you see trotted out by PH and the like. An excellent rebuttal document. I'm looking for it.

Anyone got that one that compares the anti-THR movement to the anti-condom movement. Damn I need better link management!! :-)

AVF Regular
    • Use amongst youth appears to be increasing rapidly; this should alarm us all.
    Really, where?
    Has anyone seen all these youths vaping?
    I haven't and I look out for them.

AVF Regular
    • They are being used to administer other drugs for recreational purposes with as yet poorly identified and unquantified risks
    and harms.
    Propylene Glycol has been in constant use since the 1940s and is considered safe by the FDA.

AVF Regular
    Omega, as a GP you might want to sign this and you might be interested in reading this from Clive Bates.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    Really, where?
    Has anyone seen all these youths vaping?
    I haven't and I look out for them.
    i've seen at least ten in my small outer suburb
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    • They have unknown short and long term health effects on smokers and bystanders;
    Vegetable glycerine is a well know food additive, and has been used by industry and cooks around the world, for decades with no ill effects.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    i've seen at least ten in my small outer suburb
    That many?
    They must congregate in your suburb.
    I've not seen one.
    GoodSteam likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast